By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next gen hardware totals - Nintendo winning!

Kerotan said:
sc94597 said:
Kerotan said:
sc94597 said:

How many times do we have to go through this. Businesses are profit-maximizing. Whoever makes the most profit, "wins" in the short-term. Whoever wins in the long-term can't really be predicted, otherwise companies would be able to organize around this long-term prediction and succeed.  

Nintendo will likely be more profitable in the end.

Nintendo is probably worth 15BN total. Microsoft probably makes more than that in total profit each year. Nintendo might be the most profitable in terms of games but if you are arguing who will live the longest my money would be on Microsoft.  

I don't know. Nintendo is the older of the two companies. Profit doesn't mean one will live longer. Profit is just the motive. Some companies can make profits greater than 100 years of another company and then they still die within a year. That wasn't what I was saying though. 

If Nintendo don't move to mobile pc and or other bigger home consoles they won't be around long. Apple are in a good position if you mean hardware wise.

As long as Nintendo makes profits they should be able to survive.  Sure Nintendo is endagered if they don't make profits, but they are a pretty low-risk company that has adapted before. Nintendo is the only one of the gaming companies that is mostly a gaming company. They are also still a very large company that has the same benefits of economy of scale that Microsoft and Sony have, when it comes to gaming. They can take future losses if they must, and they must because they have nothing else to turn to. Rather though, I think Nintendo will recognize what it must do to make profits and it will do it. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
Kerotan said:

If Nintendo don't move to mobile pc and or other bigger home consoles they won't be around long. Apple are in a good position if you mean hardware wise.

As long as Nintendo makes profits they should be able to survive.  Sure Nintendo is endagered if they don't make profits, but they are a pretty low-risk company that has adapted before. Nintendo is the only one of the gaming companies that is mostly a gaming company. They are also still a very large company that has the same benefits of economy of scale that Microsoft and Sony have, when it comes to gaming. They can take future losses if they must, and they must because they have nothing else to turn to. Rather though, I think Nintendo will recognize what it must do to make profits and it will do it. 

If they fuck up next gen they are fucked.  The stock price is way down especially when you consider the Japanese market is up a lot.  They are worth less than 15BN they can't afford many more fuck ups or else they become a software company. 

marley said:
Giggs_11 said:
marley said:
Giggs_11 said:

Yes because people are born, grow up, go to school, go to high schoo, go to college, get a job, get married, get kids. And has time passes by and people get to do all this things, they get more and more free time to play, right?  Not to mention other factors blending in like social factors or people's maturity evolving as time goes by.

I don't need to rely on my "own experiences" to know how the world works, like I said, some things are logical and you can make assumptions without having factual data (i.e., numbers) to know it's true.

I just find it funny that you say that and then use the "I know people who do it" like argument. I mean, on an internet debate you use reason with "I know people who do it"? Really? And then you say that from my own experiences I can't make opinions on something? DOuble standards much?

No double standard.  I was using my own personal experience as a response to your generalizations that no one has ever gotten into gaming as an adult with kids.  My own personal experiences were all that was need to refute your misguided speculation.  

You are making sweeping generalizations and presenting your unwarranted 'assumptions' as fact, when they are based on nothing more than insufficient evidence & reasoning (your own experiences).  Yes, when people grow up they do have time to play games.  In fact, when people grow up and have children, they are even more likely to be exposed to games.  I'm not even sure what to make of your maturity statement.  I hope your are not making more false generalizations that 'mature' people don't like to have fun or play games.

26% of gamers are over 50

48% of parents play video games with their children weekly

Do you really believe that all of those parents were into games before having children?  Is it an easy 'assumption' for you that none of them decided to play games as a way to bond with their kids?  None of the gamers over 50 started as adults?  Really?  

No double standard.  I was using my own personal experience as a response to your generalizations that no one has ever gotten into gaming as an adult with kids.  My own personal experiences were all that was need to refute your misguided speculation. - Right back at ya

You: 'I'm wearing a grey shirt, so everyone in the world must also be wearing a grey shirt'  <--- sweeping generalization based on unwarranted assumption

Me: 'No dude, I'm wearing a white shirt'  

You can see the difference right?  I never made any generalizations.  People do get into gaming as adults.  I've witnessed it.  It's a fact and in no way a generalization.

You are making sweeping generalizations and presenting your unwarranted 'assumptions' as fact, when they are based on nothing more than insufficient evidence & reasoning (your own experiences). - Again, not my own experiences, logic.

Your 'logic' is rooted in your own personal experiences.  Please try to understand.

Yes, when people grow up they do have time to play games.  In fact, when people grow up and have children, they are even more likely to be exposed to games. - 1st) The thing is matematically it is impossible to exist more adults that were exposed to gaming when they had children than adults to started off playing as a child. 2) I play with cars with my 2 year old nephew, does that make me audience for the car selling companies? Adults who started playing games with their children do it to entertain their children, the core consumer is the children, not the adult. They have a console that both share probably until the kids are old enough to play alone. After that stop playing games. And even the few ones that actually do, they're not even close to be representative of core market for console companies.

1) No one claimed otherwise.  2) It's an entry and exposure to gaming.  They start playing to bond with their children.  Some might stop after their children grow up.  Some might learn that they enjoy games and continue to game.  Hence, people do get into gaming as adults after they have children, which is the whole point if this discussion.

I'm not even sure what to make of your maturity statement.  I hope your are not making more false generalizations that 'mature' people don't like to have fun or play games. - To have fun yes, but they tend to find other fun things to do instead of staying at home playing games.

More sweeping generalizations?

26% of gamers are over 50

48% of parents play video games with their children weekly

Againt with the article stats? The article itself says this "adult women gamers" play mostly casual computer/social games. These people do not represent the home console/handheld markets, not by a long stretch. These 50 years old you're talking about play candid crush or farmville on facebook. In fact many "hardcore gamers" who play consoles despise those kinds of games.

I never said that they are the main consumer for home console/handheld markets.  You are inventing arguments.

Do you really believe that all of those parents were into games before having children?  Is it an easy 'assumption' for you that none of them decided to play games as a way to bond with their kids?  None of the gamers over 50 started as adults?  Really? First off, I have the slight impression you're taking what I'm saying literally. I don't believe none of adult gamers started playing as an adult, just there are very very few of those cases. And if someone start playing as an adult to bond with their kids, this will happen on the 1st generation of the family (if I have a kid and had never played before in my life except with my son, when he grows up and plays with my grandson, he will be an adult who started playing as kid, so will the grandson, and so on), so the chances of having cases like this are very slim. Besides, most parents nowadays whit kids they will be playing (i.e. young kids) grew up in the Atari, game boy, NES, SNES, Master System, Mega Drive, PC, era. Most of them are already/were players.

So, you admit that it happens.  You just don't believe that it happens often (which is fine).  

But ok, you don't get this, that's your issue. I'm not discussing this anymore. So for the last time, yes gaming is mainly kids, not so much for adults. Although I agree this stigma is getting weaker since many people who started playing as kids do still play today, just not nearly as much (as it is my case). And when you're having this discussions on Nintendo Vs Sony hardware threads, please don't bring social gaming related articles that say adult women are the biggest demographic in gaming cuz you'll just be making a fool out of yourself.

Cheers!

I get this just fine.  Let me recap our discussion:  

You: people don't get into gaming as adults

Me: some people get into gaming as adults

One of those is accurate.  Feel free to decide which it is. 

You recaped it wrong. It goes like this:

Me: gaming is targeted for kids also few adults get into gaming as adults.

You: article "adult women are the largest demographic in gaming" also many hardcore gamers get into gaming as adults

FYI, you should develop argumentation skills, not throw around "your own experiences" argument cuz that argument means jack squat. What is ironic, though, is that all your discussion is based on "I know plenty people who got into gaming as adults". Also, for f*ck sake, don't take everything you ear literallly, speciallly after your told it's an exageration...

Giggs_11 said:

Me: gaming is targeted for kids also adults "don't" get into gaming as adults. <-- fixed

You: article "adult women are the largest demographic in gaming" also many hardcore gamers get into gaming as adults

FYI, you should develop argumentation skills, not throw around "your own experiences" argument cuz that argument means jack squat. What is ironic, though, is that all your discussion is based on "I know plenty people who got into gaming as adults". Also, for f*ck sake, don't take everything you ear literallly, speciallly after your told it's an exageration...

Problem with your recap is - I NEVER SAID THAT (even though it's true).  Feel free to go back and actually read.  Someone else posted the 'women are the largest demographic in gaming' article.  You immediately started moving the goal posts to demographics of mobile gamers vs console gamers - none of which was ever mentioned in your original post, none of which anyone is arguing about (except you), and none of which actually refutes women (or adults) being the largest demographic in gaming (demographic does not mean most profitable, important, core, target or any other meaning you want to attach to it / gaming does not mean consoles).  You are doing your best to construct baseless arguments out of thin air.  

Since you seem to have a poor memory:

Giggs_11 said:
arcaneguyver said:  <---- THIS IS NOT ME.
Giggs_11 said:

When do people face the fact that gaming is not for adults.

Hmm. 

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/

You use a link about a study which in the link says adult women is the largest demographic in gaming? Really?

I haven't read that but I bet it is talking about mobile/casual games...    (SO WHAT?)

*reads article*

Yeaaaah, those aren't exactly the same demographic as the ones who buys consoles... (WHO SAID IT WAS?)

Btw there are many adult gamers nowadays, but even those started of as  gamers when they were kids. About zero to none adult gamers begun gaming when already adults and married.

I came along and merely pointed out that "I happen to know plenty of adults that got into gaming after they were already adults and married..."  That is all.  It's not an argument.  It's not meant to be an argument.  What in that factual statement are you trying to force an argue with me about exactly?  

This is the last time I will respond to you because it's clear that you are beyond reason.  Conversing with you has been a painful lesson in futility and patience.  Best of luck in the future.  May our paths never cross again.

If Vita was also dead in Japan then this race would be harder for Sony.
It's clearly the 3DS & PS4 that are making the big pushes for both sides.

Around the Network
marley said:
Giggs_11 said:

Me: gaming is targeted for kids also adults "don't" get into gaming as adults. <-- fixed

Problem with your recap is - I NEVER SAID THAT (even though it's true).  Feel free to go back and actually read.  Someone else posted the 'women are the largest demographic in gaming' article.  You immediately started moving the goal posts to demographics of mobile gamers vs console gamers - none of which was ever mentioned in your original post, none of which anyone is arguing about (except you), and none of which actually refutes women (or adults) being the largest demographic in gaming (demographic does not mean most profitable, important, core, target or any other meaning you want to attach to it / gaming does not mean consoles).  You are doing your best to construct baseless arguments out of thin air.  

Since you seem to have a poor memory:

Giggs_11 said:
arcaneguyver said:  <---- THIS IS NOT ME.
Giggs_11 said:

When do people face the fact that gaming is not for adults.

Hmm. 

http://www.dailydot.com/geek/adult-women-largest-gaming-demographic/

You use a link about a study which in the link says adult women is the largest demographic in gaming? Really?

I haven't read that but I bet it is talking about mobile/casual games...    (SO WHAT?)

*reads article*

Yeaaaah, those aren't exactly the same demographic as the ones who buys consoles... (WHO SAID IT WAS?)

Btw there are many adult gamers nowadays, but even those started of as  gamers when they were kids. About zero to none adult gamers begun gaming when already adults and married.

I came along and merely pointed out that "I happen to know plenty of adults that got into gaming after they were already adults and married..."  That is all.  It's not an argument.  It's not meant to be an argument.  What in that factual statement are you trying to force an argue with me about exactly?  

This is the last time I will respond to you because it's clear that you are beyond reason.  Conversing with you has been a painful lesson in futility and patience.  Best of luck in the future.  May our paths never cross again.

In a thread called next gen hardware totals - Nintendo winning I don't think I would need to point out it was console I was talking about. But then again you and your poor comprehension skills came along and I was proven wrong.

Yeah I should've never replied to you also when I first said I wouldn't. You are stubborn and can't be reasoned with. You go back and forth with your arguments, then contradict yourself, then say that wasn't what you meant or whatever...

Have a nice life mister.

ghost_of_fazz said:

Just like this Call of Duty Pro Team

Man! this hurts! But that's how the truth feels!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I mainly see one big problem with this comparison, and that is the release dates and generations that differs a lot between handheld hand home consoles.

To be more fair, then the counting should begin from the release of Wii U, for this gen.

~24 million 3DS
~ 9 million Wii U
~ 6 million PSV
~ 19 million PS4
~ 10 million Xbox One

~ 33 million Nintendo
~ 25 million Sony
~ 10 million Microsoft

Or compare sold units for every system that has sold in the same timeframe, since the first console of "this" generation was released. And that would be the 3DS that released on Feb 26, 2011. So we should add up all the sales of Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PSP, PSV, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. If some indeed suggests that the generation began at Feb 26, 2011, almost 3 years earlier than the PS4 and Xbox One was released. And then the major sales for Sony and Microsoft which laid in PS3 and Xbox 360 must be added up as well, or else Microsoft would have had no sales at all for 3 years and Sony only their low sales of PSV to count.

I hope that someone gets my point. I really don't think it can be compared like this since the release dates are too far from each other and they are almost in two different generations.

wangjingwanjia said:
I mainly see one big problem with this comparison, and that is the release dates and generations that differs a lot between handheld hand home consoles.

To be more fair, then the counting should begin from the release of Wii U, for this gen.

~24 million 3DS
~ 9 million Wii U
~ 6 million PSV
~ 19 million PS4
~ 10 million Xbox One

~ 33 million Nintendo
~ 25 million Sony
~ 10 million Microsoft

Or compare sold units for every system that has sold in the same timeframe, since the first console of "this" generation was released. And that would be the 3DS that released on Feb 26, 2011. So we should add up all the sales of Wii, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PSP, PSV, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. If some indeed suggests that the generation began at Feb 26, 2011, almost 3 years earlier than the PS4 and Xbox One was released. And then the major sales for Sony and Microsoft which laid in PS3 and Xbox 360 must be added up as well, or else Microsoft would have had no sales at all for 3 years and Sony only their low sales of PSV to count.

I hope that someone gets my point. I really don't think it can be compared like this since the release dates are too far from each other and they are almost in two different generations.

I think my way is fairer and then update it until the gen is over.