By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Charger Included!? Seriously!?

sc94597 said:
Dusk said:
sc94597 said:

If I were a new Nintendo customer and didn't have a 3DS charger because I never had an original 3DS, and I bought a bland XL (my Pokemon Y edition came with a charger, and I assume that is the case for all special editions) or New 3DS thinking it would have a charger and find out it doesn't and I can't play my games, I would be pissed, take the console back, and never think of a Nintendo handheld again. Sorry, but this is not a good idea at all. If Nintendo wants to save the environment, why can't they just sell a model that is $5-10 cheaper (and advertised) without the charger. That would be for all of you guys who already have chargers or don't need another one. Be clear about it. 

So you would make such a big deal and waste the money on gas to go back to return it and not just pick up a charger for like $5?

They are clear about it. You wouldn't know that there was not charger if they were not clear about it. It's going to say it on the box. Every place that sells them will likely have the chargers available. 

I only know because I am on a video game website for people enthusiastic about video game products, and it came as a surprise to me even then. The new consumer can easily purchase the console without knowing this, as it is basically an assumption that such a device would include a charger. And what about the pollution caused by my car to go obtain the new charger? By the time I would take the console back the damage is already done. I'm pissed off at the company and wouldn't want the console anymore. 

*When I say "I", think of me as a casual or non-Nintendo fan buying a Nintendo console for the first time just to try it out. Not me personally. I'd by the console because I like Nintendo games. 

It was specifically mentioned in the Nintendo Direct about it. As I said, since it is (in the US and Canada) different than the norm, it likely will be posted on the box stating that there is no AC adapter. If that ends up being wrong, then it certainly is more of an issue, but we don't know till that time it is released.

In the UK it is normal to not have power adapters included in many products like this, cell phones as well. 

There are so many multi-function power adapters for many electronics that are cheaper than the Nintendo branded AC adapters and are readily available at every electronics store I don't know why people are being so over-reactive to this. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network

Obviously people who frequent a gaming form such as this are quite likely to already have 3ds chargers. But it is really surprising nintendo of America decided to do this because the 3ds hasn't saturated the American market by any means and the 3ds has a proprietary charger so they can't just expect a person to have a spare lying around.

It might be different in some countries but in the USA I have absolutely never purchased a device that needed a charger but didn't come with one. Hell even usb charged devices always come with a usb charger. I won't care to guess what their reasoning is, but a lot of customers will think of this as an extreme case of nickle and diming because as I've already mentioned it is unheard of for a device not to come with a charger in the US.

Hynad said:
BreedinBull said:
Not sure what's more shocking, people defending this or Ninty bringing these anti-consumer practices over on this side of the world. Thanks for posting OP, killed what little chance there was of me buying one now.

The usual crowd defending Nintendo is nothing shocking...

I love that instead of attempting to bring a counter argument as many have, you just default to insulting people. That's superb. 

Dusk said:
Hynad said:
BreedinBull said:
Not sure what's more shocking, people defending this or Ninty bringing these anti-consumer practices over on this side of the world. Thanks for posting OP, killed what little chance there was of me buying one now.

The usual crowd defending Nintendo is nothing shocking...

I love that instead of attempting to bring a counter argument as many have, you just default to insulting people. That's superb. 

I love that instead of reading the actual thread, you jump to this post and ignore the others I made in this thread. That's superb.

Also: If you find this insulting, you should consider leaving the internet.

Dusk said:

It was specifically mentioned in the Nintendo Direct about it. As I said, since it is (in the US and Canada) different than the norm, it likely will be posted on the box stating that there is no AC adapter. If that ends up being wrong, then it certainly is more of an issue, but we don't know till that time it is released.

In the UK it is normal to not have power adapters included in many products like this, cell phones as well. 

There are so many multi-function power adapters for many electronics that are cheaper than the Nintendo branded AC adapters and are readily available at every electronics store I don't know why people are being so over-reactive to this. 

Which phones don't include power adapters? My newest phones have all included one. It's led to a plethora of USB - Mains adapters though I've just got a multi USB plug as I can charge both my phone, Vita and tablet up simultaneously using that with a single socket.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

I have to agree, it is pretty inexcusable to release a product that doesn't come with all necessary pieces to actually function. This is on the level of "batteries not included" bullshit, which Nintendo should be well above...

...I mean, I'm still gonna buy one. Like, the second they are available on Amazon...

But, ya know...I'll be shaking my fists angrily at the screen as I do it!

TheBlackNaruto said:
Mnementh said:
BOLLOCKS said:
Nintendo fans are defending this? Smh.

Sony fans that never intened to buy one in the first place blow this out of proportion? Smh.

So it is just Sony fans blowing this out of proportion? How do you know if a Sony fan never intended to buy one? Matter of fact WHAT DOES BEING A SONG FAN HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?????? So what about me a person who wants one? I haven't had a handheld since my original DS and no longer have it. So how does this benefit me? Or just screw new customers because others already have it.

I guess if I buy a new cell phone, or tablet, or a remote control car, or bluetooth set etc it is okay if those come without a charger as well because I should already have one or can go somewhere else and buy it? This is in no way a good move for the consumer IMO.

Actually, more and more cell phones are starting to come without chargers. If you want the system, buy it, just be sure to buy an AC adapter for it as well. You are aware of this. They are inexpensive. Many digital camera's are being sold without SD cards which makes them nearly useless, but it allows the consumer to save money because at the time of production the cost is likely more for an SD card than at the time of purchase. This likely follows a similar mind set because AC adapters for these are so cheap from other companies. I would certainly prefer it if it were a generic microUSB though as opposed to what it is. 

It's simple dear!The userbase of dsi/xl and old 3ds/xl userbase is huge!So the most who will buy the new models already have an ac adapter!
Also keep in your mind that revisions in the ending years of the handheld sell mainly to the owners of the previous models!Of course there will be many new adopters but I think most of them will have an ac adapter from dsi/xl...:P
It's not a big problem,the official ac adapters only cost 14€ and third party ac adapters just 5€!:P

Not including a charger is some pretty shady shit.

naruball said:
Mnementh said:

Well done, a thread for people that never intended to buy a 3DS to whine about something that is no big deal for most who do buy such a device. It's no different to all the Vita memory card bashing (maybe another fanbase, but the same blow something out of proportion thing).

I am a Sony fan and I bought one a year ago. It was a flash sale on amazon and there were only 10 items left (a black Friday deal). I bought it in a hurry to get the dela without having any idea that it'd come without something so basic. Also, you simply don't know how many people don't have one or have no intention buying one, so I'd also avoid making assumptions and accusations if I were you. 

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/buynow

http://www.ebgames.ca/3DS/Games/719122/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-black

as you can see, it says that there is no charger. If you purchased something without reading what it is, that is purely on you unfortunately.