By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If Sony drops before GTAIV, what will Microsoft do?

ConAir said:
Tbh, I do not expect Sony to make the first move. They would really surprise me if they did. I think MS has more space to let the price of the 360 drop a bit. Sony is still compensating its previous losses.

Sure, I do hope for a pricedrop of 50 euro by MS and in a response to that Sony will drop with 100 euro, but I think we're all doing wishfull thinking for the moment.

And Microsoft isn't trying to compensate for their multi billions of losses? Sony atleast has the option to compensate losses with PSP and PS2 sales. God knows how much they make on hardware alone.

Soon Sony will release the GT5 Proloque pack in Europe and gamers will get that and GTA along with it since Playsation and GTA are synonimous here. The impact of Blu-ray definitly becoming the next HD standard will also have a huge impact.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Around the Network

Why does everyone think that GTAIV will push consoles?

Gee it does not matter if PS3 outsells XBox 360 in console sales. What matters is both are selling well at the moment and they should both focus on making profits rather than trying to sell more consoles with pointless price cuts that costs the companies money.

I think Microsoft can extract a lot of value from the GTAIV launch, but the value could be massively reduced if Sony decides that they can afford a price drop as well.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Edit: Ah wrong thread

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Gazz said:
ConAir said:
Tbh, I do not expect Sony to make the first move. They would really surprise me if they did. I think MS has more space to let the price of the 360 drop a bit. Sony is still compensating its previous losses.

Sure, I do hope for a pricedrop of 50 euro by MS and in a response to that Sony will drop with 100 euro, but I think we're all doing wishfull thinking for the moment.

And Microsoft isn't trying to compensate for their multi billions of losses? Sony atleast has the option to compensate losses with PSP and PS2 sales. God knows how much they make on hardware alone.

Soon Sony will release the GT5 Proloque pack in Europe and gamers will get that and GTA along with it since Playsation and GTA are synonimous here. The impact of Blu-ray definitly becoming the next HD standard will also have a huge impact.

Offcourse, they are. But I think for MS it's easier to drop it's price than Sony. Offcourse they also gain a lot on PS2 and perhaps PSP. So they can compensate a little.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Gee it does not matter if PS3 outsells XBox 360 in console sales. What matters is both are selling well at the moment and they should both focus on making profits rather than trying to sell more consoles with pointless price cuts that costs the companies money.

Whats important is software. If you dont sell lots of consoles, you dont sell lots of software. The hardware isnt the main source of income,unless you're talking PSP.

IF Sony dropped the price of the PS3, which I agree won't happen now, then MS would be screwed and have nothing left but to advertise the hell out of exclusive content.

Frankly I think the rumoured $50 cut for 360 is too little. They should cut it $100 and really get some momentum going. I suspect they're only going to do $50 now and hold off the other $50 to fight off a Sony price cut later.

GTA is not really going to push consoles. If Halo 3 couldn't really push consoles, why do we think that GTAIV will?

If Sony can cut their price again, Microsoft can certainly respond with a counter-counter-price cut, why not?

We could be here all day...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957