By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - POTENTIAL MEGATON: Xenoblade Chronicles X to run at 60fps?!?!

bigtakilla said:
Hynad said:

You're wrong. FF XII does the exact same.

Unless you mean the CGI cut-scenes, in which case there are barely any in FF XII.

Okay, let's use this then. And show me one of FF XII straight from a PS2. And yet again, even still the XII models even from the cutscene do not look better.

This one has a better angle for both characters:

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

you do know that beyond two souls/heavy rain is basically a huge cutscene, right? ps3 can't handle those graphics or resolution outside cutscenes.

still, try showing more than a head, since it's only 10% of the 3d model or even less.

Of course, but your inclusion of it implies you honestly believe the models in XCX are a step above those in B2S, regardless to context (which is silly). B2S's being better shouldn't be at all surprising either. Unlike in XCX, models are a priority in B2S. They trump those in many PS4/X1 titles.

It's worth noting though that the entirety of B2S runs in real time (highlighted by the fact they even the cutscenes often involve player interaction), and the models used during the "cutscenes" are the same ones used in the areas when you can walk around and interact with the environment directly. The cutscenes are essentially just gameplay assets + directing (though it's not always entirely stable; the PS3 has its limits, even if it does achieve the overall render quality they're targeting). I expect they decided to do this so as to allow for perfect transitions between the two.

Anyway, the models in B2S maintain a similar level of quality across the whole thing (image below). The same surface scattering lighting is prevalent across the whole model, with clothing also having reactive animations/'physics'. The former in particular is completely missing from those in XCX, and again, that shouldn't been seen as a bad thing. XCX simply has different priories; it's not going to invest large amounts of resources on model lighting.

B2S's models aren't completely perfect, there are a few clothing sets that could do with some touching up, but all in all they're pretty stunning. Doubly so when considering the hardware. Even the sub characters (like the two in the screen) maintain a high quality.

Zekkyou said:
Materia-Blade said:

you do know that beyond two souls/heavy rain is basically a huge cutscene, right? ps3 can't handle those graphics or resolution outside cutscenes.

still, try showing more than a head, since it's only 10% of the 3d model or even less.

Of course, but your inclusion of it implies you honestly believe the models in XCX are a step above those in B2S, regardless to context (which is silly). B2S's being better shouldn't be at all surprising either. Unlike in XCX, models are a priority in B2S. They trump those in many PS4/X1 titles.

It's worth noting though that the entirety of B2S runs in real time (highlighted by the fact they even the cutscenes often involve player interaction), and the models used during the "cutscenes" are the same ones used in the areas when you can walk around and interact with the environment directly. The cutscenes are essentially just gameplay assets + directing (though it's not always entirely stable; the PS3 has its limits, even if it does achieve the overall render quality they're targeting). I expect they decided to do this so as to allow for perfect transitions between the two.

Anyway, the models in B2S maintain a similar level of quality across the whole thing (image below). The same surface scattering lighting is prevalent across the whole model, with clothing also having reactive animations/'physics'. The former in particular is completely missing from those in XCX, and again, that shouldn't been seen as a bad thing. XCX simply has different priories; it's not going to invest large amounts of resources on model lighting.

B2S's models aren't completely perfect, there are a few clothing sets that could do with some touching up, but all in all they're pretty stunning. Doubly so when considering the hardware. Even the sub characters (like the two in the screen) maintain a high quality.

There's no player interaction. Everything is pre recorded and you just press a button to choose the paths. So, it's as much real time as tlou/uncharted cutscenes.

Materia-Blade said:

There's no player interaction. Everything is pre recorded and you just press a button to choose the paths. So, it's as much real time as tlou/uncharted cutscenes.

The "cutscenes" are pre-defined in their animations, but they're none the less running in real time. They have to, since the game needs to allow the player to immediately switch into Aiden (whose is controlled directly by the player) and explore the environments in which the "cutscene" in taking place. Also, last i checked pre-rendered footage doesn't have frame fluctuation lol.

Regardless, your opinion on the "cutscenes" (no matter how uninformed) doesn't matter much. The game has numerous sections where the player is given full control (walking etc) over the character, in the same way you would in more traditional games like Zelda or Uncharted. The assets used in these sections remain the same, which the game does a good job of showing off (the camera often keeps the character as the central focus point).

On a side note, i just noticed that the hair meshes use the same reactive animation/'physics' as the clothing does (yes, also in the section you can walk around). Pretty cool ^^

Hopefully it's true. It's possible I guess.

Even for a RPG game BIGGER than Skyrim and on a Nintendo Wii U which apparently is the worst console this gen, I mean, last gen.

60fps? on wii U? (lol.)

Around the Network

This is what I like about you Zekkyou, for all our differences, you are one of the more objective and reasonable posters on here, and for that you have my respect.

Personally I'm just tired of the whole thing. I wish we could have a thread about XCX without it becoming a discussion of character faces, because that's all it seems to boil down to, which sucks cos there's so much more to talk about. It's kind of sad that these days we gamers seem more interested in focussing on the negatives than the positives.

Materia-Blade said:
bigtakilla said:
Hynad said:

You're wrong. FF XII does the exact same.

Unless you mean the CGI cut-scenes, in which case there are barely any in FF XII.

Okay, let's use this then. And show me one of FF XII straight from a PS2. And yet again, even still the XII models even from the cutscene do not look better.

This one has a better angle for both characters:

Yes, but this could be considered a cutscene. I was just trying to show a picture of in game footage, but everyone notice how they look exactly the same. I was asking for gameplay footage so the least I could do was provide an even playing field

curl-6 said:
This is what I like about you Zekkyou, for all our differences, you are one of the more objective and reasonable posters on here, and for that you have my respect.

Personally I'm just tired of the whole thing. I wish we could have a thread about XCX without it becoming a discussion of character faces, because that's all it seems to boil down to, which sucks cos there's so much more to talk about. It's kind of sad that these days we gamers seem more interested in focussing on the negatives than the positives.

I share the same opinion of you. We might not always agree, but at least i know your comments are always honest, and aren't intended to spin things to fit a specific agenda. There aren't enough people like that around here. You also have an unnaturally high tolerance for stupidity :p

And yeah, i agree... I'd much rather be talking about something like XCX's environments. Those aren't just artistically impressive, they have actual technical merit to boot. The render distance in particular deserves a lot of praise. The game transitions into its lower LOD fields fairly quickly, but it maintains those final fields for incredibly distances (without resorting to the ever present fog that inFamous 1/2 deployed :p).

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:

I share the same opinion of you. We might not always agree, but at least i know your comments are always honest, and aren't intended to spin things to fit a specific agenda. There aren't enough people like that around here. You also have an unnaturally high tolerance for stupidity :p

And yeah, i agree... I'd much rather be talking about something like XCX's environments. Those aren't just artistically impressive, they have actual technical merit to boot. The render distance in particular deserves a lot of praise. The game transitions into its lower LOD fields fairly quickly, but it maintains those final fields for incredibly distances (without resorting to the ever present fog that inFamous 1/2 deployed :p).

Cheers man. :)

Yeah the environments are really the game's calling card, but even beyond that there's the music, the story, so many other things to cover.

curl-6 said:
Zekkyou said:

Cheers man. :)

Yeah the environments are really the game's calling card, but even beyond that there's the music, the story, so many other things to cover.

I have to admit, i wasn't a fan of Xenoblade's story. The setting was cool, but the plot itself didn't do anything for me. I'm hopeful i'll enjoy XCX's more. The music though? Hnnnggg.