By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Make WiiU cheaper and more powerful, w/o sacrificing GamePad

The ends just wouldn't justify the means by taking all that out. No thanks.

I would prefer (being we're in the third year of its release) keep everything, keep pumping out AMAZING quality 1st party titles, keep funding some diverse third party titles exclusive to Wii U, Hand over some IPs to third party devs to experiment for "favors" down the line (will also be funded), get the third party support that comes, learn a few things this gen (not just on the development side, but architecture wise, and learn what the fans want) and implement them next gen. 

I personally think if they change the Wii U in any way besides a redesign with more memory, it will make the console flatline like the Vita. 3DS has been out for 5 years, which is why people are okay with upgrading, Wii U has been out 2. People are currently looking and people are interested. It's going to be 3rd out of the 3 consoles and that's just something Nintendo has to face. I think when they see their bank accounts swell from the big 1st party title releases though they will sleep well enough. Profits seem to do that for some reason.

As for removing TVii, why? Whatever negligable boost it gives in performance 3rd parties will never use anyways, and Nintendo doesn't seem to need it for their 1st party titles. I don't see 3rd party titles that aren't already coming to the Wii U all the sudden hop on board because they have a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit more power. 

Around the Network

Cheaper price won't do much for the Wii U. Masses just are not drawn to the software. Everyone blames the gamepad and the additional cost but the reality is, the majority of people buying consoles don't particularly care about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta2, Nintendoland etc. Yes Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros(to a lesser extent) did move consoles but that was short lived and 2 games in its two year life span(filled with months where there are no significant releases) is dismal. The general public do not care that Destiny/Watch Dogs/COD/The Evil Within/FIFA/etc are not exclusive to PS4 or X1, they just want continuous releases that can occupy their time.

Guitarguy said:

Cheaper price won't do much for the Wii U. Masses just are not drawn to the software. Everyone blames the gamepad and the additional cost but the reality is, the majority of people buying consoles don't particularly care about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta2, Nintendoland etc. Yes Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros(to a lesser extent) did move consoles but that was short lived and 2 games in its two year life span(filled with months where there are no significant releases) is dismal. The general public do not care that Destiny/Watch Dogs/COD/The Evil Within/FIFA/etc are not exclusive to PS4 or X1, they just want continuous releases that can occupy their time.

It's a shame too, a lot of those games are masterpieces.

spurgeonryan said:
Xenostar said:
spurgeonryan said:
Keep cable, should be playable right out of the box.

3DS isnt and no one complains really.

They should definatly be looking to make the cheapest SKU they possibly can. 

Really? I do not remember. Why is it not playable?

@ thread

Sensor bar has got to go! I hate it anyways.

I wonder how much money Nintendo forks over for gamepad customer support?

With sensor bar Wii U price $299.99

Without sensor bar Wii U price $299.98

Who cares? Don't hook it up.

spurgeonryan said:
bigtakilla said:

With sensor bar Wii U price $299.99

Without sensor bar Wii U price $299.98

Who cares? Don't hook it up.

I don't! :p

But I am sure it cost them more than that and it is worthless. Make it backwards compatible with the Wii, but make the customer purchase all the merchandise needed to make it work separately.

Or if it is cheaper, just take away Wii function. Who cares? Make VC Wii games a priority, and then forget about backwards compatibility.

Google search a replacement for one, it costs $3.00 to buy. Now how much do you think Nintendo spends making it? Trust me, next to nothing. That price comparison is probably WAYYYY closer than you think it is. 

Around the Network

The general public do not care that Destiny/Watch Dogs/COD/The Evil Within/FIFA/etc are not exclusive to PS4 or X1, they just want continuous releases that can occupy their time.

Good Point

spurgeonryan said:
Xenostar said:
spurgeonryan said:

@ thread

3DS at least here in the UK dont come with a charger, so yes it is playable for a couple of hours i suppose.

But yeah i bet theres alot they could do to make the pad cheaper, remove the useless stuff, possibly change the screen tech. 

Id even be happy if they dropped NFC as i have no interest in £12 DLC figures. 

Sensor bar is a good shout, so is the cradle, so much that they could just sell as add ons. 

spurgeonryan said:
Xenostar said:
spurgeonryan said:

@ thread

He refers to the 3DS XL. It comes without a Charger.

Xenostar said:
spurgeonryan said:
Xenostar said:
spurgeonryan said:

@ thread

3DS at least here in the UK dont come with a charger, so yes it is playable for a couple of hours i suppose.

But yeah i bet theres alot they could do to make the pad cheaper, remove the useless stuff, possibly change the screen tech. 

Id even be happy if they dropped NFC as i have no interest in £12 DLC figures. 

Sensor bar is a good shout, so is the cradle, so much that they could just sell as add ons. 

Both of these cost nothing to make and would not make the Wii U any cheaper by cutting them out.

I think the Deluxe console set is perfect as it is. I am happy with what I got when I purchased the Wind Waker set, and I wouldn't want it any other way. The price was just fine too.

I don't think the price is much of a factor when it comes to the console's current market failure.