By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - xmas week: brand nintendo 1.06m > brand playstation 0.93m

Are you surprised?

an absolute shocker 9 18.75%

thought it was possible 17 35.42%

not really 15 31.25%

vgchartz are lying. 7 14.58%

Total:48

Not sure if anybody else has noticed this but astonishingly nintendo has sold more hardware than sony during the biggest week of the year (week ending 20th dec). I had to double check the numbers because no one saw this coming with nintendo preciding over it's worst ever selling home console and handheld where as sony are riding high on stellar ps4 sales. The perception is that nintendo is down and out and on life support but this is not really true because they just outsold the unstoppable playstation brand on the most important week of the year. There's no doubt that the wii u is a commercial failure and the 3ds will do well to achieve half the sales of the original ds but despite this they can still forge a healthy existance for themselves, so i say Good luck to nintendo and i hope they continue to  develope their own hardware for many years to come. BTW vgchartz data has n3ds, wiiu and wii at 744k, 296k & 20k and ps4,ps3 and psv at 717k, 138k and 80k.

Around the Network

Pretty much pointless to make a thread like this in December because the probability of sales being adjusted in a couple weeks is more than just high. The 3DS and Wii U could very likely have been lower.

Nice! Great for the Nintendo family. And this is just with a failed underpowered zero third party support console and a handheld with similar conditions. Another proof of the relevance of Nintendo. Congrats!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Wii's still selling?! And Vita 80k... Wow.

Thanks to Pokemon ORAS and Smash the 3DS has barely outsold the PS4, and because the WiiU is selling decently in every market (unlike Vita) that result was obvious. The main difference is Japan, Sony has sold poorly in Japan (my opinion).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Awesomeness!

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Darwinianevolution said:
Thanks to Pokemon ORAS and Smash the 3DS has barely outsold the PS4, and because the WiiU is selling decently in every market (unlike Vita) that result was obvious. The main difference is Japan, Sony has sold poorly in Japan (my opinion).

Not really opinion, pretty much fact

Ka-pi96 said:
Pavolink said:
Nice! Great for the Nintendo family. And this is just with a failed underpowered zero third party support console and a handheld with similar conditions. Another proof of the relevance of Nintendo. Congrats!

Similar conditions? That's not true. 3DS isn't failed, isn't really underpowered (the difference between it and Vita isn't really that big) and it definitely isn't lacking in 3rd party support. Some of its biggest games are from 3rd parties.

In Japan, yes. Not in the west. And I remember a lot of Vita fans saying the difference between 3DS and their beloved hardware was abysmal. I suppose time has prove that 3DS has enough power to develop good games.

Anyway, the point still stand. Nintendo hw is still on top.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

That's good, healthy news.

Hope it wasn't adjusted unless increased for both and N > PS still. :P

Ka-pi96 said:
Well 3DS did outsell PS4 that week (post adjustments) so that makes sense.

That's the point though, did anybody really think nintendo's slowest selling handheld (after almost 4 years) could outsell sony's fastest selling console at this time of year? Because i certainly didn't.