By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Smash WiiU/3DS sales

Will any fighting game this gen have better sales?

Yes 6 6.32%

No 77 81.05%

See results 7 7.37%

SF5+Arcade+Ultra+Special+PC+4K nextgen remake 5 5.26%

Total:95

Currently Smash on WiiU + 3DS is around 7.3 million copies sold. 

How do you think, will any other fighting franchise overcome its sales this gen?

Around the Network

It will be tough. They will have pretty good legs, and especially that it's on multiple consoles for once, it should overcome Brawl fairly easily.
I honestly don't know where it would max out in sales though, perhaps 13-14 mil?

I would expect 3-4m on Wii U and possibly 9m+ on 3DS. I don't know what fighting game is likely to surpass it in sales.

Maybe Tekken or Street Fighter...? (I doubt it)

Nope. And those sales are in 3DS and Wii U, a failed gen for Nintendo. Imagine Wii/DS era sales! 11M alone on Wii!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Depends on how many systems they go to.

3DS, Vita, PS4, X1, 360, PS3 all together plus Retail PC games could push it close. But it depends on which one. Aren't there some big anime fighters out there?

The new Street fighter could if it was not Sony exclusive.

If SF4 didn't come close last gen as a multiplat, SF5 wouldn't this gen as a multiplat.

I sure do wish there was a meme of a 3DS carrying a Wii U on it's back...

spurgeonryan said:

Make a thread, I am sure someone here could do it.

I know you are right about SF, but that is the only one that I think could get close. Unless Sony tried their own fighting franchise again. What was it called? PabsR? The one with all of their characters that more or less bombed. I think it would do much better on the PS4, especially right now when there is still a ton of hype. Only problem is it is still just one system, unless they put it on PS3 and Vita as well, but that helps little.

I think it would do worse than LBP3, honestly.

Mortal Kombat X is really the only thing that could stand up to Smash.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Mortal Kombat X is really the only thing that could stand up to Smash.

Don't think so. Last MK did around 4.5 mln on Ps3+X360. Don't see its sales double this gen.