By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - VOTE NOW for the first annual Gamr Award nominees

That's a stupid name. You should change it to...

The VGC Awards 11 34.38%

The Chartys 2 6.25%

The Chartzys 2 6.25%

The ioies 1 3.13%

These names are all bad a... 9 28.13%

Gamr Awards is fine just leave it 5 15.63%

Total:30

Rules, guidelines, and more detailed descriptions of the 11 categories are in the second post. You can skip categories as you please, but you may not nominate more than one game per category.

Achievement in Level Design

Achievement in Mechanics Design

Achievement in Multiplayer Design

Achievement in Art Design

Best Original Screenplay

Best Original Soundtrack

Best Performance by an Actor or Actress

Best Technical Achievement

Best Content Expansion

Game of the Year

Honorary Award for (CHOOSE ONE):
• Achievement in Hardware Design
• Outstanding Journalism
• Contribution / Service to the Community
• Other (comment below)

Around the Network

Rules:

Thou shalt nominate one game for each category, no more. One shall be the number thou shalt nominate, and the number of the nominating shall be one. Two shalt though not nominate. Three is right out. Once the nominees number one, being the first number, for each category, then cast thou thy vote with the "Submit" button. (But you may pass on categories, thereby nominating zero games for those categories, without necessarily proceeding to one.)

You may only nominate games which have been released in your region. Games released in your region before 2014 are eligible, provided they were officially released in one of the three major territories (NA, EU, JA) for the first time in 2014, and provided they have not been nominated for a Gamr Award in a previous year (N/A this year).

Remakes, remasters, etc. are to be judged on new content or features, and are ineligible for the overall Game of the Year Award. The same goes for DLC or expansions.

The voting period for nominations will end at midnight EST on Monday, February 2, 2015. You may not change your vote after Feb 1st. The plan was to determine the 'nominees' in this thread with a second thread to vote on the winners, but I guess we'll only do that if there are enough nominees to justify it. The five games with the most votes in each category in this thread will be officially nominated and 'advance' to the next thread, excepting the GOTY category which may have between five and ten nominees (9.1% of the votes are required to sequire a nomination).

"Levels" may be an outdated concept in many modern video games, but I think the phrase "level design" conveys an idea most gamers can understand. Achievement in Level Design is meant to recognize games for creative environmental design with respect to its impact on gameplay.

Achievement in Mechanics Design is meant to recognize games for providing the player with new and engaging ways to interact with the game world.

Video games have gone through a social revolution over the past decade. For a long time, multiplayer gameplay was something that could only be accomplished by gathering several people together in the same room, or on the same machine. Now, developers' options for multiplayer game design are nearly limitless. Achievement in Multiplayer Design is meant to recognize games that offer new ways to interact with other players and meaningful social experiences within games.

Art design is not limited to the art style or aesthetics of games. Please take into consideration the character designs, environment designs, animations, and any other factors you feel play a role in the design process when choosing your Achievement in Art Design nominee. The implementation of these designs, as a more technical matter, should not factor heavily into this category.

Screenplay encompasses everything from the broader storytelling of the game down to the writing of individual lines of dialogue. Best Original Screenplay can recognize a game for its story, its characters, its humor, or all of those and more.

Best Original Soundtrack is meant to recognize the composers of outstanding soundtracks. Songs pulled wholesale from other games (or other media) should be considered ineligible as factors for this category. Use your best judgement when determining whether new arrangements of pre-existing pieces are original enough to be deserving of recognition.

Best Performance by and Actor or Actress is pretty straightforward. Nominees may be male or female or anything else. Their performance may be limited to voice acting or it may include motion capture.

Best Technical Achievement is a broad category. It is not limited to graphical achievements. You may wish to recognize a game for outstanding AI programming, or for impressive procedural generation. Again, use your best judgement for this category, and please indicate what kind of achievement you wish to recognize with your nomination.

Best Content Expansion is meant to recognize outstanding new content for a previously-released game. This includes paid and free DLC of all sizes and full expansions. It's like its own little GOTY award, but for a bite-sized chunk of a game rather than the whole experience.

Game of the Year is exactly what you think it is. Just remember that you may only nominate one game, it must be available in your region, and it cannot be a remake, remaster, port, re-release, or an expansion.

One Honorary Award will be given for an achievement unrelated to game development. I have provided three examples of honorary categories, but you may write-in your own. Please indicate what specific achievement you wish to recognize (if you nominate a journalist, provide a sample of their work you consider to be exemplary, and so on).

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Tagged for later editing! Also, if an old game is released on a platform in 2014 but it hasn't been released before on said platform like valkyria chronicles on PC. Can you put that as a nominee?

Edit: Here you go!

Shovel Knight

Bayonetta 2

Smash Bros 4

Smash Bros 4

Best Original Screenplay
Wolfenstein The New Order

Best Original Soundtrack
Mario Kart 8

Best Technical Achievement (Graphical)
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Best Content Expansion
Mario Kart 8 DLC

Game of the Year
Super Smash Bros 4

Honorary Award for Best Youtube Gaming Channel:
TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reasons:

Shovel Knight goes back to the good old school of gaming with its awesome 2d platforming stages, awesome bosses and just truly awesome levels that brings me back to the good old days of gaming.

Bayonetta 2 had nearly endless amounts of combos that you can do with a variety of weapons, torcher attacks, climaxes as well as loads more awesomeness. It truly made sure that there were limitless ways to kill enemies while leaving tons of room for improvement and trying out new things.

Smash Bros 4 cause virtually every game that I would have given it to had some sort of an issue with their online multiplayer. Both MCC and DC had online issues up the ass and games like Destiny was missing vital features for MMO’s as well as FPS games during launch such as voice chat! So instead, I am giving it to Smash Bros 4! While many online ordinated games struggled to have their online features going, Smash Bros came out of the gate with pretty great and functional online on both the wiiU and 3ds versions regardless of its high sales. Yes, there are some lag issues here and there but those are due to peer to peer connection issues and not Nintendo’s servers. Along with that, there is conquest mode for online and if you participate and your team “wins,” you will get rewards. And of course, there is also 8 player local multiplayer and many stages built around that which is chaotic yet fun at the sametime with a wide varity of controller options! Its online is also an improvement over brawls so the online has certainly been improved over its previous itteration

Smash Bros 4 has the best Art Design of this year imo cause not only do the characters and their animations look awesome, but so do the stages! Some levels truly bring me back to the good old days while others (like Final Destination) manage to show the beauty of Nintendo’s artistic style. Also its subjective like everything else so go away

Best Original Screenplay
Wolfenstein The New Order surprised me a bit. When the game was first released and was leaked, the comments said that it was a terrible game! But, when I played it eventually, boy, were they wrong! The reason why Wolfenstein gets this is because the story, the characters and the writing was a lot better than I thought it would be which is really odd because the game is so whacky and fun yet the story and the characters manage to convey emotion and tell a story that makes you care about it while fighting giant Nazi robots!

Best Original Soundtrack
Mario Kart 8. I was going to give to SSB4 but apparently, songs from other games aren’t allowed so its pretty T_T So instead I will do MK8 cause MK8 was able to take Mute City from being a mainly “Rock” soundtrack to a “Jazz” soundtrack while still managing to make my ears cum! Never before did I ever think that I would like Mute City in a Jazz remix but Nintendo certainly proved me wrong on that one and me and my ears are glad they did

Best Technical Achievement (Graphical)
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter cause the technical graphics are fap worthy

http://kotaku.com/the-real-world-reflected-in-the-vanishing-of-ethan-cart-1642886209

Best Content Expansion
Mario Kart 8 DLC cause you spend $6 for essentially a quarter of the game in terms of content which I still can't believe they did this shit for so cheap

Game of the Year
Super Smash Bros 4 because it’s the most fun I have had all year in a game and it is the most fun I will have in many years to come! There will be games that will be even more fun but there won’t be many games I will be coming back to as much as Smash Bros 4 in the future. It has an excellent amount of polish, loads of content, plenty of ways to customize your character, epic photo mode, great custom stage builder, over 400 fap worthy soundtracks and a functional multiplayer to keep me coming back day after day, night after night and hour after hour!

Honorary Award for Best Youtube Gaming Channel:
TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit is by far one of the best youtube channels out there and is certainly my favorite. His criticisms are quite valid and I haven’t really found another person that “fights” in the side of the consumer as hard as TotalBiscuit. Yes, sometimes I do disagree with him but most of the time, I do understand where he is coming from and his reasoning behind what he says. There aren’t many opinions on youtube I trust very often but TB is certainly one of those people whose opinions I trust a lot!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Tagged for later editing! Also, if an old game is released on a platform in 2014 but it hasn't been released before on said platform like valkyria chronicles on PC. Can you put that as a nominee?

I've addressed this a bit in the rules. Re-releases should be judged on new content. If Valkyria Chronicles has, for instance, new songs in its soundtrack, you may nominate it for best original soundtrack based on those songs along. I am leaving these matters to the best judgement of the voters here (against my own better judgement!), so we'll see how it works out.

Games being released on a new platform does bring up an interesting scenario not unlike being released for the first time in a new territory, but for this year at least, a new platform is not treated with the same importance, so I'm afraid Valkyria Chronicles is most likely ineligible. It is certainly ineligible for the GOTY award.

This does create a loophole that I'm not proud of: a 20-year-old game can be nominated for GOTY 2014 by European members. If I could think of a simple way to fix this, I would. As it is, I'm just hoping people don't really think about it.

the_dengle said:

I've addressed this a bit in the rules. Re-releases should be judged on new content. If Valkyria Chronicles has, for instance, new songs in its soundtrack, you may nominate it for best original soundtrack based on those songs along. I am leaving these matters to the best judgement of the voters here (against my own better judgement!), so we'll see how it works out.

Games being released on a new platform does bring up an interesting scenario not unlike being released for the first time in a new territory, but for this year at least, a new platform is not treated with the same importance, so I'm afraid Valkyria Chronicles is most likely ineligible. It is certainly ineligible for the GOTY award.

This does create a loophole that I'm not proud of: a 20-year-old game can be nominated for GOTY 2014 by European members. If I could think of a simple way to fix this, I would. As it is, I'm just hoping people don't really think about it.

Mhmm, cool thanks! My other question is that is "Multiplayer" limited to online multiplayer or can "local" multiplayer can be counted as a reason for blah game as well?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

From what I have played in 2014:

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8

Mario Kart 8

Child of Light

Best Original Screenplay
Child of Light

Best Original Soundtrack
Child of Light

What is this?

Mario Kart 8

Best Content Expansion
Mario Kart 8

Game of the Year
Child of Light

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Mhmm, cool thanks! My other question is that is "Multiplayer" limited to online multiplayer or can "local" multiplayer can be counted as a reason for blah game as well?

Any kind of multiplayer! Any kind of interaction between two or more players in a game, even the sort of thing you wouldn't usually think of as multiplayer (like leaderboards).

Faxanadu said:
From what I have played in 2014:

Super Mario 3D World

What is this?

Mario Kart 8

3D World was released in all major territories in 2013. It is ineligible for this year's awards. (Judging from your other choices, just want to point out that tracks in racing games are applicable to this category!)

I go into more detail on the categories in the second post. Performance can mean voice acting, motion-capture, or both.

I'd like to know what technical achievement in Mario Kart 8 you'd like to highlight. Is it some graphical achievement, something to do with the online network, the computer racer AI, or something else?

Tag>

Tagged. Will update later.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Alright, will update this a little later when I have more time, but I like the idea.

If I forget just prod me until I do it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.