By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Whats the way of the future, hydrogen or electric cars?

hydrogen can be used in other ways and more profitable for companies.

Around the Network

I think both hydrogen electric & battery electric will be prevalent.

There are structural issues for everyone running electric, for example people who rent homes especially condos usually don't have the ability to charge at home, and ~65% of households don't own their own home. For them, and for other non-commuter cars (e.g. delivery trucks, taxi, police...) where battery range is impractical, then hydrogen makes sense.

If fully autonomous self driving cars take off then that can also reduce some structural issues (e.g. car can drive itself to a charge station) then that will help electric.

My 8th gen collection

Augen said:
To me the electric car is three stages.

1. Electric gas hybrid - Example: Prius - This extends fuel economy reducing dependence, but it is still entrenched in the old model. A great starting point to soften people to the concept.

2. Electric then gas hybrid - Example: Volt - This stepping stone is actually huge to get people use to electric car concept. Being able to go 50 miles before using gas greatly increases economy for commuters. As this mile number rises more people will see the advantage

2. Full electric - Example: Tesla - The final step is to give up gasoline entirely, but there are two hurdles. Entry cost and charge range. Tesla is working hard with the Model 3 to bring price down from 80K to 40K and the new batteries developed out in Nevada plant could see ranges climb into hundreds of miles. This along with Tesla charging stations could see 2020 be a breaking point 

Hybrids have their own catagory. 

I love what tesla has done and if they bring it down to 40k that would be amazing along with keeping the range up. Everyones range seems to be in the 80-120 mile range and thats just not enough. Their 280 ramge they have is a game changer though. Also love that the government was doing te 7,500 tax break for electric car buyers.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

RCTjunkie said:
When we find a way to charge more quickly and have it go over 200 miles on a single charge is when electric takes over. It's a good idea but is too inconvenient for the average customer right now.

i fear you are a little behind the times. we already have an electric CSR that can do over 200miles on  a single charge and can charge quickly. and if tech history is anything to go by, in another 10 years battery tech and charging tech will have improved dramatically.

yes, the car in question is about as mainstream as a Mercedes s class BMW 7 series, but we're getting there.

to answer the op, I think electric is the way forward. just makes for an all round more straightforward and efficient transition. 

JamaicameCRAZY said:

I love what tesla has done and if they bring it down to 40k that would be amazing along with keeping the range up. Everyones range seems to be in the 80-120 mile range and thats just not enough. Their 280 ramge they have is a game changer though. Also love that the government was doing te 7,500 tax break for electric car buyers.

"The Model 3 will be Tesla’s third generation battery-powered electric car. During a meeting last March with the California Public Utilities Commission, Musk revealed that the car and its battery would be 20 percent smaller and could go 200 miles on a single charge. He said it would be half the price of the $71,000 Model S."

So, ~35K base price for an electric car that gets 200 miles, coming in 2017-2018.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
RCTjunkie said:
When we find a way to charge more quickly and have it go over 200 miles on a single charge is when electric takes over. It's a good idea but is too inconvenient for the average customer right now.

i fear you are a little behind the times. we already have an electric CSR that can do over 200miles on  a single charge and can charge quickly. and if tech history is anything to go by, in another 10 years battery tech and charging tech will have improved dramatically.

yes, the car in question is about as mainstream as a Mercedes s class BMW 7 series, but we're getting there.

to answer the op, I think electric is the way forward. just makes for an all round more straightforward and efficient transition. 

Fastest charge ive ever heard was fords and it was 15 mins at 80% charge. And 200 miles range ive only seen on teslas car. So hes not behind the times. Ive never heard of the csr before and all the major us car companies are still at 80-120 range and 20-30 min charge times. I think your a bit to in the furture. Soon sure.

Coffee is for closers!

JamaicameCRAZY said:

Fastest charge ive ever heard was fords and it was 15 mins at 80% charge.

But what size of battery were they charging? usinthe Tesla supercharger you can charge an 85kWhr battery to 50% in 30mins. that's like saying you could add 150miles+ of range in 30mins. 

another thing to consider is real world use. I'll put it this way, no single person has a daily commute of 200+miles. most people had a daily commute under 40 miles. so basically, if you were on a road trip and after driving 250+ miles you need to charge up, then maybe resting for an hour, grabbing something to east all while charging up isn't such a bad idea. 

the way I see it, ice cars become obsolete the day you can buy an electric car with 200+ miles range for under $22k.

Augen said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:

"The Model 3 will be Tesla’s third generation battery-powered electric car. During a meeting last March with the California Public Utilities Commission, Musk revealed that the car and its battery would be 20 percent smaller and could go 200 miles on a single charge. He said it would be half the price of the $71,000 Model S."

So, ~35K base price for an electric car that gets 200 miles, coming in 2017-2018.

Keep it up musk. Love that man.

Coffee is for closers!

generic-user-1 said:

teslas like to burn. the cars arent realy save, and atm you need a lot more time to load em. we need a completly new batterie tech for it, an that will not happen so fast, there are some interesting ideas and prototyps, but we need more time and they still have problems. and Li isnt cheap and we need alot for 1b cars...

so someone steals a model s, crashes it into a light post at over 120mph, silting the car in half, yet survives even though the impact set the car on fire. yet the car or its tech is not safe? 

do you seed what happens when you crash an ice vehicle at 120mph? hell, when you crash anything at 120mph.

electric is far more safer than ice will ever be right now. the problem for now is just the price and range. 

Intrinsic said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:

Fastest charge ive ever heard was fords and it was 15 mins at 80% charge.

But what size of battery were they charging? usinthe Tesla supercharger you can charge an 85kWhr battery to 50% in 30mins. that's like saying you could add 150miles+ of range in 30mins. 

another thing to consider is real world use. I'll put it this way, no single person has a daily commute of 200+miles. most people had a daily commute under 40 miles. so basically, if you were on a road trip and after driving 250+ miles you need to charge up, then maybe resting for an hour, grabbing something to east all while charging up isn't such a bad idea. 

the way I see it, ice cars become obsolete the day you can buy an electric car with 200+ miles range for under $22k.

I honestly dont even recall. And all the info i am finding is about at home charging or full charging. Sure your daily commute might not have a range of 200 miles or more however eventually when you have a car you'll go over 200 miles. So i wouldnt buy a car that i would need another one for a longer trips. If your going to get a car it has to be able to do what you need it to. A half hour at a charging station is to long throw in what if someone else is taking up the stations your looking at a possible hour of charging just not resonable. Also the range on electric cars isnt cut and dry. Depending on what your are doing inside, what the temperature is, what terrain your going over will effect your milage. As i said these things will get better in the future but right now its not there yet.

Coffee is for closers!