By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

man-bear-pig said:
Why do people think this is sold and not shipped?

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/150106_e.html

Around the Network

PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) SALES SURPASS
18.5 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDEIncluding 4.1 Million Units Sold Through During the Holiday Season,
and PlayStation®Plus Subscribers Reach 10.9 million

Tokyo, January 6, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 18.5 million units*1 worldwide as of January 4, 2015, and that the holiday season*2 retail sales exceeded 4.1 million units*3 globally. PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation® hardware history.

In addition, over 10.9 million users have been taking advantage of the features and benefits of the PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus) membership service, as of January 2, 2015. Subscribers have access to a wide variety of features such as “Instant Game Collection,” which allows members to play full versions of popular titles from third party developers and publishers, as well as from SCE Worldwide Studios, with no time limits or extra costs. PS4 owners have also been enjoying online multiplayer with PS Plus.

“We are absolutely delighted that so many customers around the globe have continued to select PS4 as their console of choice throughout this holiday season,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “We will continue to reinforce and deliver additional value on PS4 as the best place to play, by bringing even more exciting content and by enriching our wide array of service offerings.”

With strong support from users as well as 3rd party developers and publishers worldwide, PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 81.8 million*1 copies sold in retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 4, 2015, including 17.8 million*3 sold during the holiday season*2.

The PS4 system’s games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles such as FINAL FANTASY XV(SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD), METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN(Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), Persona5(ATLUS), STREET FIGHTER V(CAPCOM CO., LTD), Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and The Tomorrow Children(SCE Worldwide Studios). The independent development community will also continue to deliver innovative new titles for PS4 including Astebreed(Active Gaming Media Inc.), Galak-Z(17 Bit Inc.), Mighty No.9(comcept Inc.).*4

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that is only possible on PlayStation.

The PS4 system is currently available in 123 countries and regions*5 worldwide.

• *1Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.
  • *2From 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015 for Japan and Asia, from 11/23 – 1/3/2015 for North America, Latin America and Europe territories.
  • *3Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America, Latin America and Europe collected 11/23/2014 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015.
  • *4Title line-up as well as the number of titles differ by regions.
  • *5Number as of 12/2/14.

###

sully1311 said:

PLAYSTATION®4 (PS4™) SALES SURPASS
18.5 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDEIncluding 4.1 Million Units Sold Through During the Holiday Season,
and PlayStation®Plus Subscribers Reach 10.9 million

Tokyo, January 6, 2015 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system has cumulatively sold through more than 18.5 million units*1 worldwide as of January 4, 2015, and that the holiday season*2 retail sales exceeded 4.1 million units*3 globally. PS4 continues to demonstrate the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation® hardware history.

In addition, over 10.9 million users have been taking advantage of the features and benefits of the PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus) membership service, as of January 2, 2015. Subscribers have access to a wide variety of features such as “Instant Game Collection,” which allows members to play full versions of popular titles from third party developers and publishers, as well as from SCE Worldwide Studios, with no time limits or extra costs. PS4 owners have also been enjoying online multiplayer with PS Plus.

“We are absolutely delighted that so many customers around the globe have continued to select PS4 as their console of choice throughout this holiday season,” said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. “We will continue to reinforce and deliver additional value on PS4 as the best place to play, by bringing even more exciting content and by enriching our wide array of service offerings.”

With strong support from users as well as 3rd party developers and publishers worldwide, PS4 software sales also remain strong with more than 81.8 million*1 copies sold in retail stores globally and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store as of January 4, 2015, including 17.8 million*3 sold during the holiday season*2.

The PS4 system’s games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles such as FINAL FANTASY XV(SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD), METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN(Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), Persona5(ATLUS), STREET FIGHTER V(CAPCOM CO., LTD), Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, and The Tomorrow Children(SCE Worldwide Studios). The independent development community will also continue to deliver innovative new titles for PS4 including Astebreed(Active Gaming Media Inc.), Galak-Z(17 Bit Inc.), Mighty No.9(comcept Inc.).*4

SCE will continue to expand the world of PS4 to deliver entertainment experiences that is only possible on PlayStation.

The PS4 system is currently available in 123 countries and regions*5 worldwide.

• *1Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 1/3/2015, in Europe and Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 1/4/2015.
  • *2From 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015 for Japan and Asia, from 11/23 – 1/3/2015 for North America, Latin America and Europe territories.
  • *3Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SCEI. PS4 sales data in Japan collected 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015. PS4 sales data in North America, Latin America and Europe collected 11/23/2014 – 1/3/2015, and in Asia collected 11/24/2014 – 1/4/2015.
  • *4Title line-up as well as the number of titles differ by regions.
  • *5Number as of 12/2/14.

###

Dam a lot to translate :)

Burek said:
I guess 20 million sold can be expected at the end of February, in The Order week...

Also, could a lot of the overtrack be coming from December US numbers? We already saw the heavy overtrack in November, it probably spilled over.
Wonder what this means for XOne... Probably overtracked as well, but we cannot know for certain until MS volunteers some numbers.

If a lot of it is overtracking from the US, then yea, I definitely expect the XBO to be overtracked, as well.  I if I remember correctly, XBO was the most overtracked console last November in the US.  Wouldn't surprise me if that happened, again.  Which would mean that XBO may have only barely crossed 10M at this point.

Ok who's the rest 1.5 million gamers who did not buy the PS4 yet?!

I'm gonna sent Samuel J Jackson over to their house and shoot them in the foot!!

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Burek said:
I guess 20 million sold can be expected at the end of February, in The Order week...

Also, could a lot of the overtrack be coming from December US numbers? We already saw the heavy overtrack in November, it probably spilled over.
Wonder what this means for XOne... Probably overtracked as well, but we cannot know for certain until MS volunteers some numbers.

If a lot of it is overtracking from the US, then yea, I definitely expect the XBO to be overtracked, as well.  I if I remember correctly, XBO was the most overtracked console last November in the US.  Wouldn't surprise me if that happened, again.  Which would mean that XBO may have only barely crossed 10M at this point.

I agree. If XB1 crossed 10 million sales then MS would have announced by now when their price cut offer ended.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

biglittlesps said:
thismeintiel said:
Burek said:

I agree. If XB1 crossed 10 million sales then MS would have announced by now when their price cut offer ended.

People said the same thing about being over 1 million for November NPD when MS didn't say it. So don't write off over 10 million.

biglittlesps said:
thismeintiel said:
Burek said:

Not to sure about the announcement.  I doubt MS is going to announce any numbers, really.  Well, other than combined shipments or a few milestones in US/UK, since they are still pretty close to the PS4 in those two countries.  However, WW we won't get anything specific.  A 10M announcement would look like nothing when the PS4 is already well on its way to crossing 20M in a month or so.

I expect about 500K for W/E 27 Dec and then 250K for W/E 3 Jan. So that would put PS4 at 19 million on VGC at the same point. That makes PS4 only 500K overtracked which is not too bad. I wonder where the adjustments will come from. VGC still doesn;t have PS4 at 10 million in the week Sony said it reached 10 million, so the adjustments will be between mid-August and 20 Dec. Could that mean Xb one wins a week globally? The average weekly "adjustment" over that 19 weeks (assuming 500K over tracked) is 26K. But of course you can't just minus 26K off the PS4 total each week and be done with it. The closest week was BF week and if it gets a 40+K adjustment that will mean Xb one goes ahead that week. MCC week was also close a 60K adjustment that week would put PS4 behind Xb one.

Of course we don't know whether Xb one is over or under yet, it's a waiting game.

Nice to have it officially confirmed that PS4 is exactly 2 million ahead of what I predicted back in August.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

The console will almost be at 20 million before the Orders release. So anytime from January ending to the last days of february were gonna hear the 20m milestone announcement