By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ethan: Meteor Hunter - the bomb of an indie platformer that sold 100k (sales & revenue post-mortem by the devs)

Very interesting read. Also really cool to have the people that made the game itself admitting mistakes and taking a good hard look at why their product was unsuccesful. Glad they got a second chance.

EVERY GAMERS WORST NIGHTMARE...THE TANGLING CABLES MONSTER!

Coffee is for closers!

Around the Network

This does goes in line with Yatch Club's Shovel Knight numbers.

And this was only North America Wii U/3DS vs World Wide PC. I hope they get great numbers from PS4 too.

Praise the Gaben for allowing the spread of games around the world!

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
Praise the Gaben for allowing the spread of games around the world!

And praise the Kaz for not dumping prizes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DerNebel said:
The fact that the less than 7000 sales on PS3+Vita out of over 100k sales made up 43% of the total revenue really underlines how important consoles are for indie devs. You just have way less price dumping on a console.

Yea that's crazy. It's like I always say though even when MS and Sony are doing those huge bundles and offering all these games. Someone is losing money somewhere. We win as consumers but sometimes we forget that their is a cost.

Around the Network
method114 said:
DerNebel said:
The fact that the less than 7000 sales on PS3+Vita out of over 100k sales made up 43% of the total revenue really underlines how important consoles are for indie devs. You just have way less price dumping on a console.

Yea that's crazy. It's like I always say though even when MS and Sony are doing those huge bundles and offering all these games. Someone is losing money somewhere. We win as consumers but sometimes we forget that their is a cost.

Are they really losing money when their game doesn't sell well in the first place and the only way to get people interested in their game is with huge discounts/bundles? I think the point that the developers made was that without the dicosunts/bundles the game would have had no exposure and would have been a huge flop. 

I'm sure Sony/MS can't decide on their own. So the developers/publishers decide if they want to offer their game in a bundle/discount. The only reason to do that is either to increase sales. In the case of popular games,  I think Sony/MS are the ones paying extra for the bundle. In a way everyone wins.