By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Monster Hunter Portable 2 G First Week (Japan)

I wonder how this thing will sell in the future, will it replace the other Monster Hunter?

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
my conservative 620K first week was topped.

Well, Hunter wins another bet, What can I say, me and him are probably only 2 true PSP fans on this website. Don't mess with us. ;)

Don't underestimate Naznatipz' PSP fandom. While no one is on Hunter's level, their are other people that like the PSP.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

I threw the 1M figure out there without actually knowing what the shipments figures were.

Someone said it is 700,000. If so, that is going to be sold out already, so it all really depends on when the next shipment is and how big it is going to be.

It is the school holidays here at the moment, so first day figures were always going to be huge, but if the supply is there for this weekend too then sales will be big. Very big.

If Capcom ship enough copies then 1,000,000 after a week is very possible. 900,000 just for the 27th, 28th, and 29th is also looking likely.

PSN - hanafuda

Riot Of The Blood said:
kingofwale said:
my conservative 620K first week was topped.

Well, Hunter wins another bet, What can I say, me and him are probably only 2 true PSP fans on this website. Don't mess with us. ;)

Don't underestimate Naznatipz' PSP fandom. While no one is on Hunter's level, their are other people that like the PSP.

Naz is somewhat limited by his Mod status. So he can't show too my fan favor toward PSP

Nobody on this forum loves PSP more than Hunter and I, not at least I'm aware of.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
rukusa said:
holy shit Hanafuda's prediction seems likely to become true.

The biggest question in my opinion is whether or not it will pass Brawl's first week sales.

no way in hell, PSP games first week is very top heavy, I'd be glad if this game hit 800K first week.

You never know.... brawl opened first day sales with 500.000 copies and landed at 850.000 by the end of the week. MHP 2nd G opened with 670.000, considering its higher than brawl the chance is most possible.

Hanafuda could be missing the target by +50.000 or -50.000.

Also considering he lives in Japan I presume he has the privilege to observe trends. Of course not speaking for all, but he's probably able to experience first hand where the market is going.

Overall, the final sales will be very, very, VERY close to his target.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Around the Network
rukusa said:
kingofwale said:
rukusa said:
holy shit Hanafuda's prediction seems likely to become true.

The biggest question in my opinion is whether or not it will pass Brawl's first week sales.

no way in hell, PSP games first week is very top heavy, I'd be glad if this game hit 800K first week.

You never know.... brawl opened first day sales with 500.000 copies and landed at 850.000 by the end of the week. MHP 2nd G opened with 670.000, considering its higher than brawl the chance is most possible.

Hanafuda could be missing the target by +50.000 or -50.000.

Also considering he lives in Japan I presume he has the privilege to observe trends. Of course not speaking for all, but he's probably able to experience first hand where the market is going.

Overall, the final sales will be very, very, VERY close to his target.

it's different with Brawl, Braw has great legs. MH has fantastc legs, outside of week 1. but individually, I don't think it will go over 800k first week.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:

it's different with Brawl, Braw has great legs. MH has fantastc legs, outside of week 1. but individually, I don't think it will go over 800k first week.

I dont see how its any different, its a video game product. And it looks like you just answered why its possible.

Something troubles me though. Im kinda surprised by this anticipation of Monster Hunter.

On the portable console it seems to do far beyond excellent. On stationary consoles, meaning the PS2, it seems like its only doing decent. It has yet to reach a million alone in Japan on the PS2, which is where the franchise is the strongest.

Which is why Im really not sure how it will go on the Wii.

rukusa said:

Something troubles me though. Im kinda surprised by this anticipation of Monster Hunter.

On the portable console it seems to do far beyond excellent. On stationary consoles, meaning the PS2, it seems like its only doing decent. It has yet to reach a million alone in Japan on the PS2, which is where the franchise is the strongest.

I'm not sure about the Wii version.  The PSP games are huge here as you know, and it has a 'social' aspect to it.  One of the big attractions is meeting up with friends and playing ad-hoc together.  I see this all the time.  Sunday for example, I saw 4 early-mid teen guys all playing PSP together.  I didn't see what they were playing, but I knew it was Monster Hunter.  This was in the local park. 

If the Wii version has 4 player split screen, then it will be able to capture some of that, but even so, it isn't the same as hanging out wherever you want and playing it.  The flexibility isn't there.  Playing over the Internet isn't the same either.

Also, the Wii demographic is very different to the PSP demographic.

PSN - hanafuda

hanafuda said:
rukusa said:

I'm not sure about the Wii version. The PSP games are huge here as you know, and it has a 'social' aspect to it. One of the big attractions is meeting up with friends and playing ad-hoc together. I see this all the time. Sunday for example, I saw 4 early-mid teen guys all playing PSP together. I didn't see what they were playing, but I knew it was Monster Hunter. This was in the local park.

If the Wii version has 4 player split screen, then it will be able to capture some of that, but even so, it isn't the same as hanging out wherever you want and playing it. The flexibility isn't there. Playing over the Internet isn't the same either.

Also, the Wii demographic is very different to the PSP demographic.

If the WIi version has half-assed online feature, the game will not sell nearly as well, ONline feature is what made the PSP version so popular

@rukusa  just wait until the week 1 number comes in, you will get what I am talking about.

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:

If the WIi version has half-assed online feature, the game will not sell nearly as well, ONline feature is what made the PSP version so popular

@rukusa  just wait until the week 1 number comes in, you will get what I am talking about.

Dude, Im totally clear on the term "long legs" its NOT like you have to wink me and say "you'll see what Im talking about". 

What I was implying was that MHP 2nd G will start with bigger/higher legs from the starting line.