By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your top 3 RPG franchises?

Ljink96 said:

I recommend playing Dragon Quest 8 first. 6 will bore you to death and I'm a Dragon Quest fan. Yeah I beat it but Dragon Quests 3,5,7,8, and 9 are the best out of the 10.

I actually kinda liked VI, it's slow paced and a little long but I didn't think it was that bad. But then again, I have little experience with the other DQ games, I actually got bored of IV. But I do want to try out V as well because apparently, V has the best story of the DQ games.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy
Paper Mario
Mario & Luigi

- Kingdom Hearts
- Paper Mario
- Maybe Final Fantasy when FFXV becomes the only game in the franchise that I like, though Crysis Core and Type-0 look really cool, too.

Special mention to my least favorite of them:
- A tie between FFVII and the entirity of the Pokemon franchise.

I'm now filled with determination.

there are so many variants of RPGs that i dont even know how to make this list...

Demons Souls
The Legend of Dragoon
Tales of

one of them is not even a franchise is just one game (sadly).

InnocentSin said:
HoloDust said:
1. Might and Magic
2. Fallout (mostly due to 1/2)
3. Gothic

almost there: Baldur's Gate and KOTOR

Not really a fan of WRPGs, but I do want to try out KOTOR one day.

Well, due to popularity of Elder Scrolls, lot of people tend to think that all WRPGs are open-world solo affairs with lax story and action gameplay - which honestly, though in lot of cases true, is just a small subset of what WRPGs (and before that cRPGs) are.

I'm not a fan of JRPGs (though I tried to get into them on several occasions over a period of 30 or so years), but I always thought that KOTOR is one of those games that JRPG fans might appreciate for its quite structured story, characters and turned-based combat - so if you have some time, grab it on GOG (lot of complains for Steam version and modern Windows, last time I've checked).

Around the Network
InnocentSin said:
KilleyMc said:
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Lunar

Yes, I'm screwed.

Currently playing Suikoden II and bought V yesterday, completely falling in love with the Suikoden series right now.

What a coincidence, I'm currently playing Fire Emblem on Wii U's virtual console. Hope you enjoy the games, Suikoden II must be the best RPG I've ever played and V is for me the second best entry in the series. 

Final Fantasy
Mass Effect
Kingdom Hearts

Fire Emblem

Mario RPG's (Mario & Luigi, Mario RPG, Paper Mario)

Tomodachi Life

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

South Park: Stick of truth.
Skyrim , western RPG
Dragon Age

Here is them on a point scale of some sort:

1) Paper Mario   100 points

2) KOTOR 1 and 2 15 points

3) Almost everything else   1-10 points

4) Mass Effect 1 0 points