By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why x1 will not win US even at 329$ CROW THREAD

You're trying too hard.

Around the Network

If PS4 doesn't pull a Wii, it should go strong

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Most people grow out the phase where they think it is cool to own the extreme or unknown (whatever the hell the X is supposed to be) Box. Does not surprise be the key demographic for the Xbox is and always has been pubescent boys.

This also clearly explains why the seasonal surge the Xbox gets each year.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Good analysis, though as others have said, that Infoscout report is fairly suspect. To my mind, price cuts for the XB1 won't help it long term because the PS4 and XB1 cost around the same to make. Any cost reductions that the XB1 gets the PS4 will also get, so unless MS is prepared to remain $50-70 cheaper than the PS4 across the entire gen then over the long term both consoles will cost roughly the same. The XB1 has a sales spike at the moment at $329, but so will the PS4 when it gets its first price cut, re-establishing the sales difference.

Longer term, as the price of the consoles gets lower, it will become harder and harder to maintain a $50-70 price difference, and so the effect of the price cut will reduce (ie, a PS4 at $299 would require a XB1 to be $230-$250 to have the same effect, which is much harder to achieve when both consoles cost ~ same to make). Consoles bought late in their life (hence at their cheapest) also tend to have the lowest attachment rates, so it becomes harder to make money off consoles sold later in their life from software and accessories alone, if the hardware loss remains constant.

Therefore, console hardware has to move closer to the BOM cost as the gen progresses, and so PS4 and XB1 will move closer in price than they currently are. And evidence to date has shown that at the same price, the PS4 is more desirable, and will likely remain so given Sony's larger number of 1st party studio's.

Using demographics describe sales is a rather flawed method of making this point... So I have a question.

If Console A has the main demographic "X", does that mean that Console B has sold less units to that same demographic "X" compared to Console A?

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

Around the Network
PenguinZ said:

Using demographics describe sales is a rather flawed method of making this point... So I have a question.

If Console A has the main demographic "X", does that mean that Console B has sold less units to that same demographic "X" compared to Console A?

No it does not.

ie;

If ps4 had 12-17 as secondary and xb1 had 12-17 as primary, ps4 could still be selling to a larger number of 12-17 because the base number would be higher.

ie;

60% of 100 is still less than 30% of 300

That's why I don't use any figures in this calculation (in predictive text). I'm only taking the demographic supplied and removing it from the base sales. Since we know both demographic and sales, we can use the numbers, but since we don't know the numbers in the future, we cannot use the percentage to predict numbers, only other percentages. The conclusion in the OP is that if we set them both to 0%, x1-66% and ps4-45%, There is a 21% difference. This also fits in well with the 45 vs 55% that has been the case through the year, because 21% of 45% is 9.45%, and the difference between 45 and 55 is 10.

CDiablo said:
The main sku of the winter was AC4/5 then there was limited COD, SSO and leftover non bundled skus. I wouldnt say that a company selling 3 of 4 skus with Mature games is selling just for kids, I cant imagine those numbers being accurate and I would guess a lot of people who bought for kids(X1 and PS4) also bought for themselves. In fact Sony is the only company that offered kids skus.

Don't go using terms like "mature games" or you're just going to confuse your results.  I saw somewhere that the median COD age demographic is between 13-17, and Halo was younger. "Mature games" doesn't mean the player is a certain age.

The largest demographic of players is also part of that age range at 22%. But yes, there are older owners of xbox as well, which coincides with it selling well throughout the year as well. This is opposed by for example, the wii demographic which was 8-11. If you're not old enough, you can't have a job, and you can't buy the console. So, a good portion of xb1 is also 18-24, just not as many as playstation owners (according to research).

binary solo said:
theprof00 said:
binary solo said:

You didn't read the Op did you? Or if you did you completely failed to understand its thesis. Not sure what's worse, failing to read or failing to understand.

@OP your logic is interesting, however it fails to account for one thing. There are roughly 100 million young'uns in the USA, roughly 40% want a game console, roughly 25% of those want a xb one and roughly 40% of them are not especially fussed about what console they get. That means roughly 26 million kids and teens who have birthdays evenly spread through the year. That means 200k birthdays per week spread over 5 years is 40K consoles per week as birthday presents, minus 10k for consoles bought for Xmas means 30k consoles. The price skew puts xbone at an ongoing weekly advantage which can mean xbone > PS4 most weeks.

Over 5 years, assuming that every kid gets one. Many kids don't play video games or some buy both. And a lot don't get consoles for birthday but something smaller. I only got consoles for xmas for example. Also, I don't entirely understand your numbers either, what about kids who want a ps4? Main demographic only means the largest portion, not 100%

Yeah, that's why I roughly estimated that 40% of the roughly 100 million "kids" want (and will get) a console during this generation. So the consumer pool of kids who will get consoles is about 40 million. That might be high or it might be low, but if the console market as a whole in the USA is about 80 million then half being of he dependant child variety (at least at the time the console is purchased) feels about right.

I guessed 25% of kids want a Xb one, 40% are flexible and will be happy with whatever, leaving the other 35% as either explicitly wanting WiiU or PS4. If you want an estimate there I'd say 15% Wii U and 10% PS4. But all 3 companies are really marketing to to the 40% who are happy to go with any console. PS4 is at a disadvantage with that 40% right now, because of price. If a parent is not directed by the child to get console A, then when the (non-gamer) parent goes out to buy a console they will mostly buy on price and / or the console bias of the shop assistant they're talking to.

It is probably true that parents will prefer to defer a console purchase until the holidays, because that's when the best deals are available. This is why it's important to release games with kid appeal all year 'round. Firstly it keeps console sales ticking along 52 weeks of the year instesd of 12 weeks, and secondly it shifts sales to a more profitable time where specials and bundles don't squeeze the margins. When you relase, say, Mario Kart in June it means kids with birthdays in the weeks after that will agitate for a Wii U because they want Mario Kart NOW!!!!! And as long as the parents aren't on a strict budgets they will often cave in.

Well, this part I agree with for the most part. The only problem that exists really is how you calculated your numbers for your weekly sales, because we don't actually know the specifics of base sales and demographic proportion, using any sales numbers in predictive text is in error. You can only predict percentages.

I only read half half of your analysis. You use infoscouts numbers too much and infoscout isn't very reliable.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I think the $329 price would do wonders against a $399 one.