By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year! Dragon Age? WTF!

outlawauron said:
mZuzek said:
To be honest I think this is more due to the whole "sexism" thing in Bayonetta than it being a Nintendo exclusive, especially how heavily involved Nintendo were at The Game Awards, even having the spotlight for the best "world premiere" at the end, after the Game of the Year award.

Dragon Age has a lot more going for it than that. It's available on more platforms, has a wider audience, and isn't Japanese.

Still, a metacritic score shouldn't be the reason a game gets GOTY. Otherwise, it's GTA5 again.

but isnt that a remake? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Metallox said:

Bayonetta 2 it's one of those games where the plot doesn't matter, you could skip the cutscenes and still notice any difference. About mechanics, can't say anything but like it is, I think it's perfect. 

Those aren't the only issues ...

The graphics aren't particularly groundbreaking either and I'm sure a lot of gamers would find that Bayonetta 2's action mechanics are too risque ...

Chazore said:
Ali_16x said:
I knew there was going to be a topic about this VGChartz, just because Bayonetta 2 scored well and is a Wii U exclusive doesn't mean it deserves GOTY.

That means the same for every other game by definition.

Replace Bayo 2 with a Sony title, replace it with exclusive and scored well and you've got the same shoe size, one that fits all, then by what you say no other game deserves to be GOTY.

@Chazore

Your reasoning is not valid in terms of logic. The statement that Ali_16x made is saying that those specific factors are not definitive reasons for a game (in this case, Bayonetta 2) deserving GOTY. However, other factors like how large the game was (DAI was way bigger than B2), what audience the game impacted (B2 is known as a niche title that might not appease nearly as many people as DAI) may have played into the decision.

In no way does that imply that no other game deserves to be GOTY. It's just that those specific factors (even for a Sony title) may not instantly determine that that game is GOTY. BUT other factors might have been weighed. At least that's what I got from the statement...and studying logic at an undergraduate level.

Its nationalism. They dont want a Japanese (especially Nintendo exclusive) game to win, but if you make a logical analysis of the product presented to the consumer, Bayonetta 2 is the definitive GOTY.
But, those people want to give the spot light to american companies so they can keep doing what they have been doing. It wouldnt be confortable if a japanese company that has a game that runs at a perfect 60fps 1080p without any bugs would win GOTY because they would have to admit they have been doing it wrong.

Nem said:

Its nationalism. They dont want a Japanese (especially Nintendo exclusive) game to win, but if you make a logical analysis of the product presented to the consumer, Bayonetta 2 is the definitive GOTY.
But, those people want to give the spot light to american companies so they can keep doing what they have been doing.
It wouldnt be confortable if a japanese company that has a game that runs at a perfect 60fps 1080p without any bugs would win GOTy because they would have to admit they have been doing it wrong.

Uh huh ... 

Refer to the 2005 VGAs to see if you can keep holding up that belief ...

Around the Network
outlawauron said:

Dragon Age has a lot more going for it than that. It's available on more platforms, has a wider audience, and isn't Japanese.

Still, a metacritic score shouldn't be the reason a game gets GOTY. Otherwise, it's GTA5 again.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

fatslob-:O said:
Nem said:

But, those people want to give the spot light to american companies so they can keep doing what they have been doing.
It wouldnt be confortable if a japanese company that has a game that runs at a perfect 60fps 1080p without any bugs would win GOTy because they would have to admit they have been doing it wrong.

Uh huh ... 

Refer to the 2005 VGAs to see if you can keep holding up that belief ...

That was in a generation where Japanese games still dominated the industry.

Why dont you refer to every other VGA since?

Dragon age is simply a better game.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I woulda picked Bayonetta 2 over DA I, but its all opinions.  Some people prefer DA, some prefer Bayonetta.

not really

for some odd reason the scores are similar from critics on metacritic, but look at the metacritic 'fan reviews' (or at any sites really, the fan reviews) when comparing the two games

it seems that roughly half of the 'fans' or 'players' hate Dragon Age Inquisition, while Bayonetta seems loved overall. so it's not really a matter of opinion, it's a matter of money. EA has obviously paid off a bulk of the critics and advertised their game to the point that it's getting this sort of recognition. again....  look at the Metacritic of PLAYERS/FANS compared to the critics on Dragon Age... it's a bizarrely different picture that's painted

fatslob-:O said:
Metallox said:

Bayonetta 2 it's one of those games where the plot doesn't matter, you could skip the cutscenes and still notice any difference. About mechanics, can't say anything but like it is, I think it's perfect. 

Those aren't the only issues ...

The graphics aren't particularly groundbreaking either and I'm sure a lot of gamers would find that Bayonetta 2's action mechanics are too risque ...

Could you tell what exactly is risque? I don't really know, sorry :p

Presentation isn't phenomenal, I agree, but it's acceptable, I guess, much better than that one of Bayonetta 1, which was affected for those grey and green tones, in my opinion. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.