By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 20 million sellers for the wii!

loadedstatement said:
Still has a while until caught up with the 360. Definitely some great games coming out though. I think some games for the Wii have real potential.

In number of titles to sell over 1M the Wii has some catch up to do, but in number of copies sold across all millions sellers the Wii is now on pair with the 360. Both are at about 70M... 

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Around the Network

Some people still don't understand that alot of extremely casual gamers are buying the Wii, and they like games that hardcore gamers find shallow. The people who do reviews for gaming outlets are hardcore gamers. Do the math.

HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:
Chrizum said:

No not really, and that's the typical fanboy response i would expect to showing the stats for quality of games, you just try and cherry pic something to make your favourite system look good...sigh. This thread is about the wii hitting 20 million sellers. Another post commented on the alot of the wii's million sellers are accutally pretty bad or average games, which is the truth, instead of people accepting this they jumped on him and had ago at him. I've come along and backed up his claims with some facts.

Wow. You must not know me very well to call me a fanboy. In fact, I don't think I've ever been called a fanboy before. I'm just stating the relevant part of your analysis: Wii sells more games then PS3. That means it sells more bad games, as well as more good games.

No the relevent part is the percentage of games the wii sells are alot lower in quality compared to what the x360 and ps3 sell, that's the point. To proove the point even further the ps2 has more million sellers than anybody but the amount of quality games it has percentagewise is higher than the wii.

I find this to be an interesting argument because of how flawed it is ...

Most people who are either unbiased or (atleast) being fair agree that a large portion of the Wii's library is made up of games where their review score does not represent the quality or enjoyment of the game; you could argue that these games are under-reviewed or (at least) current reviewing methodologies are not able to adequately review these games. Basically, games like Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Carnival Games, and several other Wii games are well crafted enjoyable experiences that are highly desireable to a segment of the gaming population which is not represented by reviewers.

Now, most people would agree that the high sales of these games demonstrates that the review system is lacking or flawed ... Using these review scores to then argue that people are buying "Worse" games seems odd and (somewhat) dishonest given this context.

To put it another way ... Most games that receive a 60% to 75% on the PS3, XBox 360 or most systems that have been released tend to have very serious flaws that make it (remarkably) difficult to enjoy these games; in contrast many Million selling Wii games that have received a 60% to 75% score have been very enjoyable although they have a limited appeal to the small demographic of people who get the luxury of reviewing games. Few people would argue that these Wii games are (in fact) bad so it is incorrect to use these Wii games as an example of the Wii promoting the sale of "bad" games.

No the reality is most people have poor taste and wouldn't know something good if it came and hit them in the face, even tho britney spears doesn't have the best voice, most of her songs aren't anything special and she generally gets bad reviews her records still sell alot. Why? Because people are buying her music for all the wrong reasons. Just because a new demographic of gamers has come to the for front (a.k.a. casual gamers) and they have latched onto shallow, short, easy mini games collections that have nearly always scored poorly doesn't suddenly make these poor games good, they are still poor games regardless of how much they sell.

People buy games because they enjoy them. Just like why people go to the movies. Are the Best Picture Nominees all the highest grossing pictures. No

This is an entertainment medium. Wii has proven and continues to prove it is better at entertaining the masses then the competition. And quite frankly I like the idea of of game developers focusing on making me happy.

As for Sonic is good that ioi keeps improving the European tracking. The Wii in particular probably has had some big numbers we are unaware of.

If I recall correctly Nintendo reported that they had sold 70% of total gamecube software through December 07. 14 months versus 6 years. If people are impressed by this list now wait until generations end.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

@ Jimmay
You lost all credibility when you said reveiwers are unbiased.

Around the Network
jimmay said:

No the reality is most people have poor taste and wouldn't know something good if it came and hit them in the face, even tho britney spears doesn't have the best voice, most of her songs aren't anything special and she generally gets bad reviews her records still sell alot. Why? Because people are buying her music for all the wrong reasons. Just because a new demographic of gamers has come to the for front (a.k.a. casual gamers) and they have latched onto shallow, short, easy mini games collections that have nearly always scored poorly doesn't suddenly make these poor games good, they are still poor games regardless of how much they sell.

So you say people are buying everything and only some can tell what is good and what not?

I'm glad you are not the one to decide over the political system in my country, because you'd surely install a dictator. Your opinion is against all the theories of free will, Liberalism and democracy.

Now you may think I am exagerating, but this is really where your way of thinking is leading to. Of course sometimes a bad game, a bad artist or a bad film gets great sales, but those media are usually  "bad" in a different way than the rock band of your brother. For example, there are a lot of things that can be said against Britney Spears, but she actually is a good singer and had good songs. In my opinion, her songs are bullshit compared to the album of Kate Nash, but I still prefer her over Mary J. Blige for example, while other people may think that Kate Nash is bullshit and MJB the best thing in the world. Best selling things aren't usually the best, but the things most people like somehow, i.e. the general consensus. That doesn't make them bad, that only makes them less special than some less popular artists.

This works the exact same way for games. You can sit down and have a lot of fun playing Mario Party. This is nowhere near the joy you have when you are playing an epic single player game, but it's still fun. Here's the great difference to other low rated games as HappySquirrel already pointed out: Mario Party is not rated low because of it's flaws like other 70 % games, but because it isn't heading the same way as epic games.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

jimmay said:
HappySqurriel said:

I find this to be an interesting argument because of how flawed it is ...

Most people who are either unbiased or (atleast) being fair agree that a large portion of the Wii's library is made up of games where their review score does not represent the quality or enjoyment of the game; you could argue that these games are under-reviewed or (at least) current reviewing methodologies are not able to adequately review these games. Basically, games like Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Carnival Games, and several other Wii games are well crafted enjoyable experiences that are highly desireable to a segment of the gaming population which is not represented by reviewers.

Now, most people would agree that the high sales of these games demonstrates that the review system is lacking or flawed ... Using these review scores to then argue that people are buying "Worse" games seems odd and (somewhat) dishonest given this context.

To put it another way ... Most games that receive a 60% to 75% on the PS3, XBox 360 or most systems that have been released tend to have very serious flaws that make it (remarkably) difficult to enjoy these games; in contrast many Million selling Wii games that have received a 60% to 75% score have been very enjoyable although they have a limited appeal to the small demographic of people who get the luxury of reviewing games. Few people would argue that these Wii games are (in fact) bad so it is incorrect to use these Wii games as an example of the Wii promoting the sale of "bad" games.

Wow, you're bitter ...

Certainly, by your standards Britney Spears is an awful muscian but I'm certain that any music you actually like would be considered awful by the standards of Opera or Classical music standards. The thing that you don't seem to get is that your music analogy was (by far) the worst choice you could make. Music Reviewers are actually very professional and have reviewing standards which are relative to the genre of music they're reviewing ... Britney Spears' latest album (Blackout) has received a 61 on metacritic afterall ...

Ratix240sx said:
@ Jimmay
You lost all credibility when you said reveiwers are unbiased.

Yet another typical fanboy response, reviewers are payed to give as unbiased review as humanly possible, their opinions hold far more weight then an average poster on a forum who can be as biased as they want and dont have to justify themselves. Reviewers have to back up theri opinions with facts.

68soul said:
erikers said:
Thanks to the Wii for proving even shitty games can consistently sell good on it and perpetuate more crappy games being made for it.

You prefered the times when PS2 was the leader in that area? Cos if you try to make me believe all the best sellers on PS2 were AAA hardcore-type of games, sorry, you'll look silly...

And even so, two thirds of Wii's million sellers are simply excellent games and desearve their success, even if they are too "family oriented/casual" (as 85% of games sold in the industry)... it's a matter of taste, not quality...

It's also a proof Wii buyers have some taste, and buy only the good stuff out there... if you could only play these before trolling, you'd know what you're talkin' about... i took a look at your collection: with your FPS tastes, i'd suggest Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, or No More Heroes... feel the new control method... then we could talk... till then, please, STFU...

QFT

Of course Erikers is nothing but an Xbox fanbitch so he's easy to own.  I think he enjoys it.

nintendo_fanboy said:
jimmay said:

So you say people are buying everything and only some can tell what is good and what not?

I'm glad you are not the one to decide over the political system in my country, because you'd surely install a dictator. Your opinion is against all the theories of free will, Liberalism and democracy.

Now you may think I am exagerating, but this is really where your way of thinking is leading to. Of course sometimes a bad game, a bad artist or a bad film gets great sales, but those media are usually "bad" in a different way than the rock band of your brother. For example, there are a lot of things that can be said against Britney Spears, but she actually is a good singer and had good songs. In my opinion, her songs are bullshit compared to the album of Kate Nash, but I still prefer her over Mary J. Blige for example, while other people may think that Kate Nash is bullshit and MJB the best thing in the world. Best selling things aren't usually the best, but the things most people like somehow, i.e. the general consensus. That doesn't make them bad, that only makes them less special than some less popular artists.

This works the exact same way for games. You can sit down and have a lot of fun playing Mario Party. This is nowhere near the joy you have when you are playing an epic single player game, but it's still fun. Here's the great difference to other low rated games as HappySquirrel already pointed out: Mario Party is not rated low because of it's flaws like other 70 % games, but because it isn't heading the same way as epic games.

Talk about completly missing the point, the fact is people can like whatever they want to like, i never said any different. To put it simply just because somebody likes something the best doesn't mean it actually is the best. For decades gamers have accepted that the average review score from professional reviewers is a very good indicator of how good a game is. Every generation without fail the console with the most top rated games is the console that wins the generation. This has now gone all back to front because casual gamers have come along and they don't have a clue what a good game is.

Lets use motor racing as an example. Fans of motor racing like the skill of the drivers, they like the technical knowledge of building a car, they like the excitement of overtaking, cornering, quick pit stops and team tactics. A good race is one that contains all of those things. Now lets say their is a new casual crowd that has come along to watch racing, they don't really care about the things i mentioned above, all they care about is how many crashes their are, also because they don't really care that much about racing they can't be bothered to watch an hour long race, they can only be bothered with a 20 minute race. So yet again the casual crowd don't have a clue about what makes a good race just like they don't have a clue what makes a good game. A race with poor drivers, poorly built cars, no overtaking, amature pit stops and bad team tactics is a terrible race no matter how you slice it, if in that race their were a bunch of spectacular crashes the the casual crowd loved does that now make the race a good one??? Hell no, it was still a terrible race with a bunch of casual people with poor taste completely oblivious.