By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 20 million sellers for the wii!

HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:
HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:

I've given many examples that show everything. The facts that you can never get away from are the wii has significantly less top rated games than the 360 and the ps3 overall. Out of the top games (million sellers) the majority of wii games aren't rated as top games where as the 360 and ps3's games are. This shows that casuals are the biggest driving force behind wii sales and they don't have a clue what makes a good game. I have played most of these games and just like most things in life, the things that sell the best generally arent the best and most people have bad taste but these things don't matter to them because they are happy and that's all that matters to them.

That is a very elitest attitude ...

As I pointed out before, in no other entertainment medium do critics use their own personal preference in genre impact their review. Currently, the Hana Motana movie is rated higher than the Bucket List even though you (an many other people) would find The Bucket List to be a more meaningful and deeper movie ...

How can Hana Montana be so highly rated in comparison to the Bucket List if the Bucket List is deeper movie? Well, the critics reviewed Hanna Montana in the context of it being a tween movie and as a tween movie they thought it was alright ... This means that their reviews have meaning to the very people who would actually watch that movie.

Why then are videogame critics reviewing Wii Sports via the same standard they review Madden by? They're two different games, targeting two different demographics which are each looking for drastically different things from their game ... If someone who is interested in Wii Sports doesn't care about an online leaderboard why should the critic take the lack of an online leaderboard as a negative thing?

It's not personal preference, each reviewer comes to a game and reviews it on the same scale, it's the only fair way to do it. The bucket list isn't a great movie so that doesnt show anything. As for hana montana, reviewers gave it the score they did because kids like it. Kids normally have bad taste, immature taste and they arent old enough or wise enough to know any better, just because something is good to them doesn't make it good overall. So basically what your saying is, if something is designed to be short, shallow, easy and dumb because casual gamers who have bad taste in games like that then people can't critise it because that is what it was meant to be? hahaha yeah ok.

So all new music should be put to the standards of quality and technical merit of Opera and Classical music? All new movies should be reviewed under the standards of awards like the Oscars? If this was the case no rock, pop or country artist would see reviews above roughly 1%, and you would never see a comedy or action movie that would receive more than 1 star.

This isn't the case though, reviewers consider movies and music in the context of the genre they're released in; Britney Spears is an awful muscian but in the context of been a teen-pop icon she really isn't that bad (and the reviews demonstrate this); and movies like Knocked Up are awful but in the context of being a crude comedy it isn't that bad (and the reviews demonstrate this). The fact that you can not concede this point either demonstrates your ignorance or an amazing bias.

Videogame reviewers on the whole have not demonstrated this type of objectivity. No one is expecting a reviewer to go easy on Wii games (or any game) but they do want people to review Puzzle games (as an example) with the realization that there are certain elements that are important for it to be a good puzzle game and certain features people look for from a puzzle game; a puzzle game is not (necessarily) a shallow, easy or dumb game but it doesn't need a strong storyline, an online leaderboard, or multiple multiplayer modes in order to be a good game.

Well if you truely believe that you can't compare wii's graphics, sound, game options, game length, online features, a.i., gameplay, basically anything that makes a game to that of the x360 and the ps3 then you sure as hell can't compare the sales of the wii to the x360 and ps3 as you claim they are two very different things with two very different sets of standards. So obviously any thread that now comes up in some way comparing the wii's sales to that of the x360 and ps3 you're going to jump in and tell everybody they can't do that because the wii is of a different standard.....because if you didn't then that would make you a hypocrite, and you're not a hypocrite are you?

Around the Network
goldeneye0074eva2222 said:

what are you talkin about 360s already dropped to second its been second world wide since dec 07 and nothing has caught it up ,,

there was a article at gamespot , stating wii took 1st place world wide , its got 20 mill plus

360 has 17 mill plus,, that is shipped not sold, wiis already sold its said numbers, because they are sold out

360s are still stocked at many retailers

as is ps3s

nintendo earned their spot ,, rightfully they gave us what we hoped for plus what they tossed in to the mix

online -what many complained that gamecube didnt have

more mature titles-since launch red steel zelda upted to a t rating , cod3 moh 2 of them driver manhunt 2 a first time rockstar gave wii a m rated title,

they got bully out the godfather plus their titles ssbb galaxy super paper mario mario party8 metroid prime 3 it wont be long before more come ts4 is in development for wii

theres a far cry finally

a wwe game a quality one at least for what it is ,

they gave us virtual console we didnt even ask for that or none expected backward capabilities let alone web browsers etc ,,

they just tosed in everything the only complaint i heard from fan boys is graphics well like i said , graphics dont make a game , they in fact are the main cause for reviews to go a 5,5 or below

they can help yes but with the glitches many of the games expeirence with graphical issues , that is a mark down on the review side of things

and jimmy, less top rated games? um your wrong,, re4 metroid 3 re uc zelda and more, and i can say the same thing about ps2,, mario galaxy is game of the year and top rated, ssbb is 9,5 at ign , sold alot on release , mario kart is gonna do the same,

oh and re4 sold a million over a million even for a game that has been on 2 previous gen consoles, thats good

and your saying ps2 wasnt the best of last gen,,

your wrong on that one to

theres more racing platforming driving and fpses on wii then party games, wiis got nearly 800 games released and or in development , so your saying all 800 are mini game based i dont think so

less then half not even a quarter of wiis library consist of mini games and by the way in all territories aside from japn wii sports shouldnt count its a free game

you shouldnt be here jimmy if your not happy with wiis sales numbers to bad,, or with what wii offers again TOO BAD one person aint gonna stop wii from selling especally a graphics monster or how do you say it halo fan boy ,,

and no ps3 has less top games then wii or 360 combine lol ,, im not even gonna go on because you dont know nothing , ps3 doesnt even have aaa titles yet

mario party may be stale but you know what halo is even more staler,,

as is many fps that have been released over the yrs

only a few of them have been good

goldeneye

perfect dark

duke nukem 3d

doom

timesplitters 1-3 soon 4 if it lives to expectations that is

hexen

thats itall other ones are stale as they come or just to short and easy with no replay value in em

the racing genre has more better games as does platforming and ,party (ssb mariokart wii sports wii play etc) you might not be the type who enjoys 4 player split screen play you may be the boringest person i just dont care goldeneye marioparty etc beat any halo made and any so called hard core title made, funny how this hardcore term is being used now,, its a word that describes violence so if you think a game has to be violent to be good your 10 x more wronger then the person you replaied or has replied to you me included

120 million ps2s tells a long story

20 million wiis now tell that same story

graphics do not make a game nor does the amount of violence,

the gameplay is what makes a game and the replay value, split screen etc and to tell you somthing wii isnt like your 360 abandoning what made fps good ,, splitscreen they kept it ,, and added multiplayer, online

mariokart is a good example

as is ssbb

only 2 360 games that are worth buying kept that important aspect,perfect dark zero and halo 3 as crappy as it sounds

not 2 players 4 players getting it got it good!

stop complaining

wii has more top games then ps3 and 360 more games over all as well

so dont go there and by the way reviews dont mean nothing,

i know a practically good game that has gotten such a low score you wouldnt belive it,

timesplitters future perfect on the gamecube

7.4 ya tell me i aint seeing things

a 7.4 for a 8, 7 game on ps2 and xbox

what the heck thats gamespot for you

oh same for wwe 2008

5,5 on ps2 6,0 on other 2 systems , gamespot trying to pull people away from buying a other wise ok game

but they rated halo 3 based on hype

nothing more i played it and trust me it doesnt look to much different or play different from halo 1 halo 1 was the best of the 3

even with that imitation map editior halo 3 doesnt stand a chance against the original halo on xbox or pc definately

end of descussion you dont like wii , thats not our fault you take gamespots or some sites review and think they tell the truth 100 percent of the time

not mine

i play a game based on the information and screens videos etc not on some ones biased reviews further more i play franchises im familiar with, not games like lair , whic that was so over hype it got a 4.0

Is english your first language?

I'm curious. If the Wii operates on a different review standard from the PS3 and 360 why did Super Mario Galaxy win Game of the Year over the PS3 and 360 games in the majority of major review sites? After all, Game of the Year awards are the one time that games are directly compared across platform....

jimmay said:

Well if you truely believe that you can't compare wii's graphics, sound, game options, game length, online features, a.i., gameplay, basically anything that makes a game to that of the x360 and the ps3 then you sure as hell can't compare the sales of the wii to the x360 and ps3 as you claim they are two very different things with two very different sets of standards. So obviously any thread that now comes up in some way comparing the wii's sales to that of the x360 and ps3 you're going to jump in and tell everybody they can't do that because the wii is of a different standard.....because if you didn't then that would make you a hypocrite, and you're not a hypocrite are you?

Your argument makes absolutely no sense given my post ...

Review scores have never (EVER) been accurate across platforms being that a game which has 'Great Graphics' for the Nintendo DS is quite a bit different than a game that has 'Great Graphics' on the PS3; only a fool would argue that if a game was directly ported from the Nintendo DS to the PS3 that it should maintain the same graphics score. Reviewers have (historically) always considered the platform of release when reviewing games, and even PS2 games were reviewed based on the graphical/sound standards of the PS2 and not the graphical/sound standards of the XBox.

You question you always seem to be dodging is "If in every other critical medium the reviewers take into consideration the genre a product is released in when reviewing it, why should videogame reviewers hold all games to the standard which is important in a small selection of generes?" ... No one is saying that you should automatically give any game a higher score, but if you're reviewing a game and talking about how well crafted and enjoyable it is why shouldn't it get an appropriately high score if it contains all the elements people expect from the genre?

naznatips said:
I'm curious. If the Wii operates on a different review standard from the PS3 and 360 why did Super Mario Galaxy win Game of the Year over the PS3 and 360 games in the majority of major review sites? After all, Game of the Year awards are the one time that games are directly compared across platform....

I don't think anyone is saying that the Wii does (or should) opperate on a different standard as the XBox 360/PS3 ...

Many people do believe that the low review scores of some high selling Wii games is much more indicative of reviewers underscoring these games than it is of Wii owners having "Bad Taste" as Jimmy would claim. Many of these games are getting docked marks for lacking features which are completely unnecessary in their genre and the consumers of these products do not care about; this is (sort of) like reducing the score of a bad action movie because it doesn't make a political statement about abortion and lacks an original orchestral soundtrack which conveys the emotions of the characters throughout the movie.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:

Review scores have never (EVER) been accurate across platforms being that a game which has 'Great Graphics' for the Nintendo DS is quite a bit different than a game that has 'Great Graphics' on the PS3; only a fool would argue that if a game was directly ported from the Nintendo DS to the PS3 that it should maintain the same graphics score. Reviewers have (historically) always considered the platform of release when reviewing games, and even PS2 games were reviewed based on the graphical/sound standards of the PS2 and not the graphical/sound standards of the XBox.

You question you always seem to be dodging is "If in every other critical medium the reviewers take into consideration the genre a product is released in when reviewing it, why should videogame reviewers hold all games to the standard which is important in a small selection of generes?" ... No one is saying that you should automatically give any game a higher score, but if you're reviewing a game and talking about how well crafted and enjoyable it is why shouldn't it get an appropriately high score if it contains all the elements people expect from the genre?

What you wrote makes no sense, it's a simple fact you can't hold the wii to different a different lower standard than the x360 and ps3 in terms of games and at the same time compare it's sales. Either you compare everything or compare nothing at all. If a game is short, shallow, has limited options, no online, poor a.i., bad graphics, bad sound with hit and miss controls then it's a bad game. Just because their is a casual crowd of people with poor taste in games who like short, shallow and easy, who don't care that it has limited options, no online, poor a.i., bad graphics, bad sound and hit and miss controls doesn't change the fact that it is still bad game. A poor game which is aimed at casual people with poor taste doesn't suddenly turn into a good one just because it met it's goal of being a bad game.

jimmay said:
HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:

What you wrote makes no sense, it's a simple fact you can't hold the wii to different a different lower standard than the x360 and ps3 in terms of games and at the same time compare it's sales. Either you compare everything or compare nothing at all. If a game is short, shallow, has limited options, no online, poor a.i., bad graphics, bad sound with hit and miss controls then it's a bad game. Just because their is a casual crowd of people with poor taste in games who like short, shallow and easy, who don't care that it has limited options, no online, poor a.i., bad graphics, bad sound and hit and miss controls doesn't change the fact that it is still bad game. A poor game which is aimed at casual people with poor taste doesn't suddenly turn into a good one just because it met it's goal of being a bad game.

Like Solitaire and its verious versions.   By your definition, a bad game.  And yet, millions of people with PCs play it.  Including me.  Don't you?

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

jimmay said:
HappySqurriel said:
jimmay said:

You question you always seem to be dodging is "If in every other critical medium the reviewers take into consideration the genre a product is released in when reviewing it, why should videogame reviewers hold all games to the standard which is important in a small selection of generes?" ... No one is saying that you should automatically give any game a higher score, but if you're reviewing a game and talking about how well crafted and enjoyable it is why shouldn't it get an appropriately high score if it contains all the elements people expect from the genre?

Yeah but you know what, it doesn't matter. At all.

Okay, so we compare everything now across platform jimmay? Allow me to set new standards for the PS3 and 360 then...

Graphics: Highest possible score for a PS3 and 360 game? 8. Why? Crysis.

Gameplay: Highest possible score for a PS3 and 360 FPS? 7. Why? No Keyboard and Mouse (Wii caps at 9, because Wiimote and Nunchuk are much closer).

Presentation: Highest possible score for a PS3 and 360 game? 7. Why? Limited online options available in comparison to those on the PC.

We're also going to take off everytime a PS3 or 360 game isn't at 60FPS, because all major Wii games run at 60FPS. If you're willing to accept all these new standards for PS3 and 360 games then I have no problems holding Wii games to the same standard (graphics cap at 6, presentation at 5).

jimmay said:

You are either missing his point or (more likely) ignoring it so you can keep attacking the Wii. Why does online automatically make a game better? Would Twilight Princess be better with online play? It only really has one mode of plat too so I guess thats more points off for limited gameplay options. No loal multiplayer means even more points off. Doesn't have native 1080p at 60fps so that is more points off. It lacks 7.1 surrond sound as well so the sound sucks. I would give it a 3/10 over all by your standards. Do you see how ridiculous this is?

You can't come up with a list of absolutes that need to be in a game an expect it to be anything close to objective. Certain genres simply do not need certain aspects of gameplay that can exist. If you took out the single player portion of Wario Ware, and gave it even one more way to play multiplayer it would be twice as good easily. The epic story is meaningless and pointless. You could call the game shallow, but I can regularly beat people far less experienced than I am so there must be some skill involved somewhere. The game is only fun multiplayer, but online would not enhance it one bit. I know, you must think I am insane right now but it is the gods honest truth. It would just turn the multiplayer aspect into single player and make it pointless.

You are trying to project your requirements for a game onto everything released. Objective review does not work that way. Game reviews currently do work that way sadly, but hopefully that will work itself out. The games that get low review scores do not have glaring flaws. They are missing elements that would not enhance the gameplay experience. Wii Sports is a generation defining game and pushed an entire genre into the forefront of game development but is a mid 70s average review. It will be the game that defines this generation, but because it lacked elements that were arbitrarily decided to be necessary it got docked points. It is the driving force behind the success of the Wii and yet was viewed as some cheap cash-in tech demo that was barely worth playing by reviewers.

Not every game needs a huge list of features, or cutting edge graphics to be a good game. If it does not enhance the game play experience then what is the point? Would a epic story line about a bowling league tournament where you strive to beat out your lifelong rivals to win a big trophy enhance Wii Bowling? Would 1080p graphics make the game more enjoyable to play or simply make the game cost more to develop? If you want an objective review you have to ask these questions. You have to consider your audience or your review is meaningless. Any other method of trying to review a game puts in far too much personal bias and that ruins the point of the review.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229