By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo shouldn't release a new console earlier than PS5.

Experimental42 said:
dexterlablab1 said:
Nintendo should just do whatever in terms of when they release as long as they continue to profit

Sales wise, it won't make a difference. The people are going to pick who they pick.

1. The PS1 came out before the N64- the PS1 got the lion share
2. The PS2 came out before the Gamecube- the PS2 got the lion share
3. The PS3 literally came out with the Wii- The Wii got the lion share (you can say the price is a factor all you want, they still had the lion share even if that is true)
4. The PS4 came out after the Wii U- the PS4 got the lion share thus far.

So as you can see, it doesn't matter when they come out.

It does matter when they came out, and you got literally every one of your points wrong.

1. PS1 wasn't the early release of that gen. The Sega Saturn was and it was a horrible flop.

2. The PS2 wasn't the early release of its gen either, the Sega Dreamcast was, and it was hurt severely by the smear campaign the PS2 ran against it.

3. The PS3 was only trumped by the XB1 as dumbest launch in the history of dumb launches. They literally did the opposite of everything that made the PS2 successful. I even pointed out the XB360 as the single anomoly, the only early release to not be a horrible failure, and that was purely because the PS3 was done so poorly.

4. The PS4 coming out after the Wii U and murdering it in sales supports my point of early releases being stupid and that Nintendo should aim for a near simultaneous launch.

Exactly how did I get my points wrong. We weren't  talking about the Sega Saturn, or the Dreamcast, or the Xbox 360.

Last I checked, this article was about whether or not Nintendo should release a system BEFORE the PS5. I mean, that IS what the title says right? I sort of fail to see how I should factor in the other systems when the TOPIC is about Nintendo and Sony systems.

And again, as long as they're profiting, it DOESN'T matter when they come out. As I've shown in my points that YOU quoted, it doesn't matter if its released before or after, the people have already made up their mind in regard to Nintendo

And as PER THE TOPIC, I showed that regardless of whether Nintendo's systems came out before or after, Sony's home systems still grabbed the lion share. If the other systems are to be brought into account, the title of the topic SHOULD reflect that.

Around the Network

Releasing after the PS5? So 2020 minimum, meaning you expect the Wii U to last atleast 6 more years. I don't see that happening nor do I see third party support going from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye, and they're what's needed for Nintendo to be competitive saleswise with Sony/Microsoft. Also to make a system more powerful than the PS5 is a huge risk. If third partys don't bite, you'll be left with a console selling worse than the Wii U.

kljesta64 said:
nintendo should release the same day as sony so people can see how much better it is just like Wii vs PS3.

if they don't see how much better the WiiU is over PS4 then they won't next gen either

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Wii U won't be making a profit down the road, they came out with their biggest games this year ofc they are gonna turn a profit.  

They have to wait. Then release a console equivalent to ps5 and Xbox 2 when it comes to power. If they do bad with that they should be come third party tbh

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network

they'll release when they need the money,it will be fine

Sony will be bankrupt and MS would have merged Xbox to a digital service hosting all the big publishers the road will be clear for the new Mario box

Above & Beyond

Prediction: Next Nintendo console will be Nintendo 3D.

makes sense.
the more they wait, better specs for a lower price they get.
but wait for ps5 is asking for years of losses...
2018 is a good year.
meanwhile survive from 3DS, its sucessor, amiibo, and software (and QoL thing).
We still have a metroid, new mario, animal crossing, pokken, retro project for 2016 and 2017.
In 2018 is possible to deliver an affordable console with 16+gb ram, 5 or 6 teraflops gpu...
PS5 specs wouldnt be 10 times higher than that.

The ps4 and xbox one might not be around as long as many seem to think as they are both already looking quite underpowered.

I'm hoping for a Nintendo fusion device that doesn't directly compete with sony or microsoft, but is the successor to both the 3ds and the wii u. If they managed to get the game output of both the 3ds and the Wii U on one system that would be sufficient games for a Nintendo console.

Have games playable on handheld and on tv, via a fusion terminal. 3ds backwards compatibility, and if using the terminal wii u backwards compatibility. Yes, quality hand held games will take more time to develop to support pretty hd graphics and many 3rd party games will look ugly on tv. But Nintendo's games will look great and they don't need to compete with the ps5 and XboxMinusOne for power.

dexterlablab1 said:

Exactly how did I get my points wrong. We weren't  talking about the Sega Saturn, or the Dreamcast, or the Xbox 360.

Last I checked, this article was about whether or not Nintendo should release a system BEFORE the PS5. I mean, that IS what the title says right? I sort of fail to see how I should factor in the other systems when the TOPIC is about Nintendo and Sony systems.

I made the thread, so I'm pretty sure you absolutely did miss my point. I specifically used the Dreamcast as my example and pointed out the earliest console almost always does more poorly. You focused on the wrong aspect. I only mentioned PS5 because it will be at the start of the next gen.

Releasing a new console too long before the competition means they can easily outdate you, and leaves you open to a mass marketing smear campaign for being a weaker console. The odds of the next Nintendo making its R&D budget back after releasing early is almost nil. We live in an age where resolution and FPS are pushed to people that don't even know what they are. If the Nintendo specs come out a year or two earlier, expect them to be the weakest, period. Nobody wants the weaker console on today's market unless it;s "close enough" and the price is right or it has a magic gimmick.

It's happeded in every single case of the early console, save for the 360. If Nintendo releases a console before the others do next gen, they simply become the first target and the competition builds a machine specifically stronger than it at minimum. An early release now is like telling everyone to kill your next system early because you're stupid, or you think the competition is too retarded to make a better product when given specs they specifically need to beat.