By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Americas estimates on the first page

We all know the NPD data for december: 360 - 4.5 Wii - 1.1 PS3 - 0.69 According to the first page: 360 - 5.14 which is 4.5+14% Wii - 1.43 which is 1.1+30% PS3 - 0.91 which is 0.69+32% While 360's 14% looks pretty fair, i dont understand those 30%%. Arent Wii and PS3 numbers overestimated a bit ? (forJanuary,1) On the other hand, if we count 2 weeks of January in, numbers would become underestimated. So can anyone tell me, where did these ~15% come from ?

Around the Network

amiiam said: We all know the NPD data for december: 360 - 4.5 Wii - 1.1 PS3 - 0.69 According to the first page: 360 - 5.14 which is 4.5+14% Wii - 1.43 which is 1.1+30% PS3 - 0.91 which is 0.69+32% While 360's 14% looks pretty fair, i dont understand those 30%%. Arent Wii and PS3 numbers overestimated a bit ? (forJanuary,1) On the other hand, if we count 2 weeks of January in, numbers would become underestimated. So can anyone tell me, where did these ~15% come from ?
Why would they be underestimated for first 2 weeks of Jan? If you take Jan figures so far into account they look about right. Take VG Charts data as of December: X360 1,248,500 5,024,000 Wii 725,000 1,272,500 PS3 554,500 780,500 Gives Jan to date figures of: X360: 120k Wii: 160k PS3: 130k

That looks reasonable, thanks.

Yes, very reasonable. You are indicating that currently the Xbox 360 is being outsold by Wii AND PS3... Contrary to what is going on on planet earth. I don't understand. NPD is obviously underestimating (and doesn't include Canada - oh yeah plus a dozen consoles sold in Mexico), and that is adjusted by a 30% for PS3 and Wii. Ok, so we go with 30%. However, the same is not applied for the 360. You know, there is a thing called "reality check". You are adding up inaccurate figures (Europe, Asia minus Japan etc are way more inaccurate than NPD) and coming up with something which contradicts a solid fact (shippments). You just can't have 25% of all 360 production to date, sitting on shelves (or on boats)! You must realize at that point that you must be doing something wrong! And I won't tell you nexgenwars is accurate. It probably overestimates 360, and it even more likelly underestimates the PS3. But the 8.26m figure is plain ridiculous. Is it more likely for MS to be "cooking their books" to show more shippments than for this site adding up various sources to be off? My "hunch" is that Europe is underestimated for the 360 (and possibly for the Wii) on VG. Add that with the 30%+NPD which should be applied to the 360 too and you would get within a logical distance of the 10.4 mark (e.g. 1 million would sound logical to me). It is a "hunch" only about the reason behind the discrepancy, the discrepancy itself is much more than a hunch of course!

I already answered in more detail on the other thread, where I had predicted somebody would find an "easy way out" with "massive" sells. You are naive if you believe that a massive shipment will miraculously turn to massive sales for the PS3 when there was already stock in stores. Anyway see the numbers in the other thread...

Around the Network

+1. In fact, Sony recently announced that they shipped 1 million PS3 in Japan. The cumulated sales revealed by Media Create today ( http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000054594/ ) are at 553 033 (lower than the VG charts figures... which where updated end of december). It's not a problem of stock anymore for Sony, no more than price (since in Japan, the PS3 is qui te cheap). It's probably more about games or worts, interest.