By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU redesign - I think it's time and would boost sale.

Dropping the gamepad is stupid, it wont achieve anything now. Should have been done well before launch and then they would have had a chance to move consoles this gen.

Around the Network

I doubt it. Most people (EDIT: The casual crowd this gen) don't see the appeal on a Wii U, this is backed up by the majority of sales and recent buzz being around the PS4's continuing domination and the XB1's recent spike in sales.

It will take more than a redesign that boost sales. Frankly, i don't know really know what it will take. It has the games (high quality exclusives), but by cutting off a shit ton of support from the third parties, they are making it into a complementary console to the PS4 or XB1.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Mystro-Sama said:
yvanjean said:
Mystro-Sama said:

Would you people just drop this gamepadless argument!? It's so annoying...

It's not gamepadless, Gamepad just sold separately. Nintendo themself don't know how to incorporate the gamepad to make good video games. 

The gamepad is a failure, only five games come to mind that really use it NintendoLand, ZombiU, scribblenauts, Game & wario and Wii Party U.

When super smash and mario kart 8 failled to really use the gamepad that's when you know it's useless fisher price add-on. I'm sure Zelda U will use it but there will be WiiU controller Pro control option. 

What would be the point really? Not only would it throw off the developement of current games but it also wouldn't make much of a difference in the console price.

I'm assuming you have put in quite a bit of time playing the WiiU. Tell me honestly what game benefit from the gamepad. 

Problem with gamepad:

1. Too big and clumsy button layout that have to work around the screen.
2. Battery life is horrendously bad. Reliance on charging craddle and cables. Thing need to charge every 2 hours. 
3. Screen quality is bad especially when compare to Vita or Ipad. 
4. Doesn't add much to gameplay and experience.
5. Costly   

Wiiu Controller Pro compared to gamepad:

Pros:

Smaller, amazing 80 hours battery life, ergonomic feel, cheaper than gamepad.

Cons:

Lack screen and touch screen.

It's going to need a lot more than that if the system's going to sell better.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
yvanjean said:

#1 The console is already pretty quiet, how much quieter do you want? loll. Its mostly just the sound of the disc spinning...
#3 Still dont think that will be possible and its still pure nonsense
#6 People will feel ripped off just at hearing the possibly of a higher cpu/ram even if it just for "faster loading times"

#1 WiiU is not that quiet compared to Xbox one it's a noisy beast. I'm sure it could be designed slightly better to reduce noise. 
#3 It's very possible, very few game require gamepad to be played, you can start the WiiU and play most game without ever turning on the gamepad as it is now I do most of my gaming with the Controller Pro. My gamepad is normally dead all the time and don't bother using it at all. A system update could also remove the reliance of gamepad and prompt for the gamepad on game that requires it to play like Nintendo Land and others.
#6 NEW 3DS..... precedent has now been set.   

Well, the thing is, the few games that do require the gamepad would still have to be considered, specially if Nintendo has future projects that are already in development, like starfox, kirby and splatoon, that will use the gamepad so that is a bad idea. Specially Kirby, u can't play that game without the gamepad period... And not to mention, you have games like Smash Bros with its custom stages and photomode that use the gamepad

And look at all the hate that the n3ds has been getting. Heck there have been many threads that asked the question, if you want the samething with the wiiU and most people said no and for good reasons too

Japan nov17-23 hardware sales:

New 3DS LL: 42,184 [UP] 3,727
New 3DS: 26,791 [UP] 13,418
PS4: 12,430 [DOWN] 3,107
3DS LL: 11,534 [UP] 2,362
Vita: 10,236 [DOWN] 9,065
Wii U: 9,615 [DOWN] 4,387
3DS: 8,144 [UP] 3,945
PS3: 4,324 [DOWN] 387
Xbox One: 776 [DOWN] 1,469

Once the NEW 3ds and NEW WiiU it market you can slowly discountinue older model. 

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

Well, the thing is, the few games that do require the gamepad would still have to be considered, specially if Nintendo has future projects that are already in development, like starfox, kirby and splatoon, that will use the gamepad so that is a bad idea. Specially Kirby, u can't play that game without the gamepad period... And not to mention, you have games like Smash Bros with its custom stages and photomode that use the gamepad

And look at all the hate that the n3ds has been getting. Heck there have been many threads that asked the question, if you want the samething with the wiiU and most people said no and for good reasons too

Japan nov17-23 hardware sales:

New 3DS LL: 42,184 [UP] 3,727
New 3DS: 26,791 [UP] 13,418
PS4: 12,430 [DOWN] 3,107
3DS LL: 11,534 [UP] 2,362
Vita: 10,236 [DOWN] 9,065
Wii U: 9,615 [DOWN] 4,387
3DS: 8,144 [UP] 3,945
PS3: 4,324 [DOWN] 387
Xbox One: 776 [DOWN] 1,469

Once the NEW 3ds and NEW WiiU it market you can slowly discountinue older model. 

You do realize that Japan is about handhelds and really, only about handhelds right? The only thing that ever really sells in Japan are handhelds, even the Vita is selling in Japan compared the rest of the world where its selling like shit... Of course the n3ds is going to sell well in Japan, specially with games like MH4 and Pokemon and MH only sells freakishly well in Japan and no where else.. Japan is not a good indicator of how the rest of the world views things

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nintendo designed one of the worst consoles of this gen. From the internals to the externals. Yes, it is fun. But down to the fundamentals... it's a piece of design deprived garbage. The power brick, the forced use of the underutilized GamePad, the toy look, Nintendo knows better than that. All that aside, it's my favorite console of this gen but Nintendo needs to step it up. I remember a Nintendo that cared what casuals and hard core gamers thought about them. I know it, in essence, it doesn't really matter but it sure doesn't hurt.

You do realize that Japan is about handhelds and really, only about handhelds right? The only thing that ever really sells in Japan are handhelds, even the Vita is selling in Japan compared the rest of the world where its selling like shit... Of course the n3ds is going to sell well in Japan, specially with games like MH4 and Pokemon and MH only sells freakishly well in Japan and no where else.. Japan is not a good indicator of how the rest of the world views things

What do you think will happen when the New 3ds release in North America??? There will be a huge sales spike for New 3ds on release and new 3ds will immediatly replace the older version has new top selling skew. You actually think that the older model will outsell the New 3ds once it comes to north america? 

Redesign the gamepad, with a smaller screen (3DSXL upper screen sized).
With a smaller screen, the dpi increases, and the images will look better.
Make it looks more like a controller with a screen than a big strange indefined think (no one nows is if a controler or a tablet or both or none...).
Make it cheaper and with more battery life(smaller screen can help there).
Implement the second gamepad funcionality, and sell it separly.
But also, sell the "new wii U" with the redesigned gamepad, and a 500 Gb hard drive. 250$, with no game. Just a new digital promotion again, exclusive to the new model.

Thats enough.

Wii u has basically reached its limit and I doubt anyone would care for a redisigned console....nintendo really drop ed the ball this gen, will have to take being in last place for a long time....