By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time to talk, once again, about voice acting in Zelda U.

Do you think Zelda U should be fully voice acted?

Yes 233 45.24%

No 282 54.76%

Total:515

No... no matter how good or bad it will be there will be thousands of people bitching and moaning about it on the internet.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

ToxicJosh said:
I disagree with most of the OP.

1) Voice acting may be bad.

It may be, in fact, it's LIKELY to be. In that we each have an idea of the characters sound like and if it misses that mark for each of us, then it will be bad. As we each have a different conception of what the characters sound like, to most people, it will miss the mark.

That said, it COULD be good. I will allow that point.

You'd have no idea how any character is supposed to sound. Every Zelda has a completely new and nearly completely unrelated cast. There are no familiar characters other than Link, who wouldn't speak, Zelda, who's completely different in every game, and maybe Ganon, who's completely different in almost every game. That point has no foundation to stand on.

And it's very likely to be good, not bad. Nintendo's localization team has been outstanding as of late.

2) Reading is more immersive

Honestly, I don't understand your objection to this, or your rant against reading. Anyone who watches anime or foreign films quickly gains the ability to parse the text whilst also paying attention. I never watch a dubbed anime, as to me subbed is much more immersive. And I feel the same way about games; first thing I do in every single game I play is turn on sub titles.

To me, reading IS more immersive. Hearing a voice that doesn't mesh with my idea of the character would drag me out of the story faster than a disk change.

Then turn on the subs. I watch anime with subtitles too. You can't gain the ability to look at and fully comprehend two things at the same time. It's impossible. You may be looking back and forth quickly, but you aren't taking the anime the way it's meant to be.

Again, you can't have an idea of a character you haven't met, so it wouldn't mesh with anything, so it couldn't drag you out unless it was simply poorly done, and since this whole discussion works under the assumption that it is done well, that's not an issue. 

3) Voice acting would ruin Zelda's identity

I actually think it would, the way cut scenes are able to emote without the use of language is a big element of Zelda, think to the scene in TP where Zant takes over Hyrule Castle, that would be ruined by the inclusion of voice acting. Or when the Deku Tree dies, again ruined.

I think it would also take away from encounters with villagers. Their characterisation is all in their appearance, trying to add a voice onto that would, again, ruin it.

No, it's a hinderence in Zelda. Both scenes you mentioned would be astronimically more effective if they were voice acted. They are stifled by their lack of spoken audio. Their animations are broken in complete because they have to account for a reader. Adding a voice to the villagers would complete their characterization. It's limited to just being in their appearence only because it can't be put into their voices. Any characterization placed in their appearence would only be embelished by the appropriately casted voice actor.

5) Characters should speak Hylian.

I agree with OP; this is nonsense.

6-10) I think I've covered these points above. As they're all variations on the theme

-

What I will say is that a spoken narration might work. But any more than would be immersion killing, and make the game not Zelda

Comments in bold.

Naum said:
No... no matter how good or bad it will be there will be thousands of people bitching and moaning about it on the internet.

There are thousands of people bitch and moan about no voice acting in Zelda now. People bitch about everything.

After playing Hyrule Warriors, I really felt the lack of voice acting in the story, seriously. Characters like Girahim and Lana would benefit a lot if they had voices, they´d gain more distinctive personalities

I think it would be good if all characters except the protagonist recieve voice acting. But again, if it doesn´t have it I´d be okay with that, as long as gameplay is finesse like it uses to be on the Zelda series.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Slade6alpha said:
Mystro-Sama said:
I agree with practically everything. Though you can't really expect hardcore Nintendo fans to see it your way, they're so fucking conservative when it comes to everything. Everything has to be a tradition that MUST be upheld. That mindset is why most of Nintendo's IPs haven't really changed much since years gone by, whether for good or bad.

^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with what the OP says and agree with this too. 

I'm okay with Link being silent, but for God sake Nintendo, it's 2014. 

Edit: To expand on what you said, this has been one of my biggest issues with Nintendo and their fanbase, which affect the games as well. They both are too comfortable and too rigid for traditional values in games. As a result, it's just more or less the same thing that has been produced by them as well. IMO. 

Can you blame them though? When other Japanese companies went "out of tradition," they fucked up their games pretty badly... Look at Resident Evil for example, once the pinnacle of survival horror is now this average action game and the last thing we want is Nintendo going the same route with their beloved franchises

Couldn't disagree more with these posts...

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Naum said:

There are thousands of people bitch and moan about no voice acting in Zelda now. People bitch about everything.

This I completely agree :D

If done right, voice acting might work just fine. But a lot of the times, voice acting in video games can be really shitty - and I'm not just talking about Other M here. Haven't Final Fantasy had bad acting in certain games? As long as they don't speak all that much during actual game play I'd be fine with it.

Anyways, you bring up some really good points

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

No voice acting please, unless they make it optional.

I'm just here to say that, despite not being the best Metroid, Other M is a really good game. If you liked Fusion, you like Other M in every aspect except OST, which is pretty bland.

What if they give a very good voice actor from Hollywood or famous seiyu for the Japanese release, come on. Zelda it's an open world now, the graphic is top notch like pixar quality movie, it's not that bad isn't ?