By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time to talk, once again, about voice acting in Zelda U.

Do you think Zelda U should be fully voice acted?

Yes 233 45.24%

No 282 54.76%

Total:515
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Well, it is a pretty big deal cause The Legend of Zelda has more than just one Iconic character... It has tons and giving all of them voices is a slipperly slope one way or the other and if done wrongly, like giving Zelda a terrible voice, it really would piss off a lot of the fanbase. I really do think this is a big deal considering how terrible Other M was and Cdi or Zelda Cartoon was. Sure, neither of those were really Nintendo but the risk is bigger than you think imo. Heck, if you gave every character in SS a voice which is including Fi, good luck with that annoying shit

That paragraph is the perfect example of how every single voice acting worry you brought up was fully countered if you actually read the OP.

Around the Network

100% agree with the OP. Inexcusable in this day and age. That said, I doubt the lack of voice acting would make a.9.5 quality game an 8.5 one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

The potential for annoying voice acting is much scarier than awkward cutscenes because of silent dialogue. And I don't trust Nintendo in finding good voice acting if the game is made by EAD or Zelda Team. Maybe if they get Retro studios to help.

Actually, I don't trust any Nintendo developer in finding good voice acting unless they're Retro Studios.

No voice acting!

mZuzek said:

I just keep thinking back to A Link Between Worlds. It was non-linear, it didn't have handholding, etc. etc. (essentially it's the first game from this "non-linearity" shift after Skyward Sword) and it had a weak plot, while still having some more cutscene-heavy moments with plot twists. I feel like Zelda Wii U could take a similar approach - throughout most of the gameplay there's nothing going on in the story and they're just waiting for a big moment. Sure, you could say every Zelda game is like this, but in Skyward Sword, The Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and to a lesser extent Twilight Princess you always felt each dungeon was important in its own way, unlike in A Link Between Worlds where every dungeon feels like just another step towards completing the game.

It was also a handheld half remake to ALttP. I don't think they were trying to gave this amazing story. They were trying to make that experience as epic as it could be. I don't thing it has to do with it's non-linearity. The had the text to make it's cinematics better, so they did. Same with the far more linear DS Zelda's.

I don't think that the dungeons all need to be where major plot points happen, and I don't think that the non-linearity needs to effect how well the story is told. ALBW is an example, not a rule.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
100% agree with the OP. Inexcusable in this day and age. That said, I doubt the lack of voice acting would make a.9.5 quality game an 8.5 one.

It would definitely, in cases like this lower my score. You think TLOU would have scored like it did if it was presented in text? Of course not.

t3mporary_126 said:

The potential for annoying voice acting is much scarier than awkward cutscenes because of silent dialogue. And I don't trust Nintendo in finding good voice acting if the game is made by EAD or Zelda Team. Maybe if they get Retro studios to help.

Actually, I don't trust any Nintendo developer in finding good voice acting unless they're Retro Studios.

Voice acting is done by the Treehouse. They've shown compitence when given freedom, proven by Fire Emblem 3DS and Kid Icaris.

spemanig said:
Signalstar said:

It would definitely, in cases like this lower my score. You think TLOU would have scored like it did if it was presented in text? Of course not.

Zelda isn't even in the same genre as TLOU. And Zelda games don't really have amazing stories compared to other AAA games or even smaller games. Hell Phoenix Wright and Paper Mario have better stories than Zelda and they don't have voice acting.

Nuvendil said:

Can you blame them though? When other Japanese companies went "out of tradition," they fucked up their games pretty badly... Look at Resident Evil for example, once the pinnacle of survival horror is now this average action game and the last thing we want is Nintendo going the same route with their beloved franchises

But this would change so very little about the game.  Take TP or SS and insert voice for all but Link and what has changed?  Nothing.  And if the voices are well done, the game will be better for it.  And if the quality is up to Metroid Prime 3 or at least Xenoblade levels, I think it would be solid.

Well, it is a pretty big deal cause The Legend of Zelda has more than just one Iconic character... It has tons and giving all of them voices is a slipperly slope one way or the other and if done wrongly, like giving Zelda a terrible voice, it really would piss off a lot of the fanbase. I really do think this is a big deal considering how terrible Other M was and Cdi or Zelda Cartoon was. Sure, neither of those were really Nintendo but the risk is bigger than you think imo. Heck, if you gave every character in SS a voice which is including Fi, good luck with that annoying shit

As for Other M, that's the writers fault.  Could have had nothing but massive, big name actors doing their best performances in their lives and the terrible script would have been just as terrible.  Take away the voices, Other M's story is still insultingly bad.  And the Cdi games were bad, again, because they were bad.  Remove the voice files and you still got yourself a bad game.  As for SS, I said it wouldn't change anything and would improve many cutscenes.  If Fi is annoying without a voice though, she will probably still be annoying with one.  And "tool tip" like pop-ups from characters can be left unvoiced; those are kinda OOC anyway. 

And Nintendo franchises have been voice acted before with good results.  Fire Emblem Awakening, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3.  So citing the bad ones as a reason not to do it is kinda pointless since you can cite good reasons too do it. 

spemanig said:

That paragraph is the perfect example of how every single voice acting worry you brought up was fully countered if you actually read the OP

Well, that wasn't really to address the OP's thing but it was targeted towards the person I was replying too. But fine, I will say something about that "good voice acting" thing too cause imo, "good voice acting" is highly subjective from person to person and this will be specially true when it comes to LoZ. Like, if you look at when an anime gets dubbed, some people will say, well, this is a pretty good dub while others will say that its terrible, same principle here imo.

And the other thing is that, Zelda's Music has always been great which is why most gamers are very confident when it comes to Music and Zelda games but in terms of Nintendo games, Voice has always been an up and down sorta deal. That and also the script can sometimes ruin the VA as well and Zelda certainly has its fair share of cheesy moments and putting voices on them might make them worse. Sure, maybe the planets will align and VA in Zelda might be the best thing to happen since Condomless sex but its such a big risk, specially for Zelda

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850