By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony top rated publisher of 2007

Of all the sources that offer varying conclusions on this subject its no surprise the one people choose to believe is the one which best suits their personal bias. Incidentally I'm accused of trying to downplay the topic and OP when had the results been to the opposite benefit of the 360 or Wii it would be the Sony Right that would be rushing in to play down the significance of that blow against Sony. For example, Shams tried to bring up a comparison between the PSP and PS3 in its own thread and it was attacked as being anti-Sony.

I've not brought up a single point in this thread that wasn't unreasonable given the conflicting sources presented. You will forgive me though if I don't ignore the irony of the Sony faithful here who throughout the forums make it an every day habbit of trying to play up every trivial "victory" that can be offered Sony and then demonize and denounce even the most benign of negative news or discussion whether intended as such or not.

Which ever source we accept though, we know Nintendo and Sony are neck and neck, and that enough is impressive for Sony.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.
Around the Network
koffieboon said:
Taking an average over every released game doesn't paint a good picture, 5 great games don't go down in quality because of 5 mediocre games released by the same company.

So true... this way, if you release 1 game that gets a good review, and another company releases 100 games, of which, say, 70 get similarly good reviews and 30 lesser, then according to this system that first company will top the other one.. :S

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

These charts say a lot for both Nintendo and Sony, so everyone should be happy. Microsoft was in the top 7 too, so no one should be upset.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Why the hate? What I see is Sony and Nintendo both showing well.

Both develop and support good games. Both have a mix of established franchises while supporting innovation.

Depending upon when you look the top position will surely swing back and forth between them as each game released impacts their current standings.

Personally I think we should all be looking at some of the notable studios with less than stellar averages... don't you?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

But the best selling games is in Wii and the best socre too like MP3 y SMG.

@ MANUELF

So what does it matter to gamers if Wii Play sells 50 million copies?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

tastyshovelware said:
4D Gamer III said:
Sony's sweet advantage? Sony's only able to edge ahead of Nintendo by such a narrow margin that its within the margin of error as clearly shown by Metacritics results. This is no real victory for Sony unless you were expecting much less from Sony to begin with.

Again another matter of people wanting to believe reviews as gods law when it suits them and attacking them when they don't (I'm pointing fingers at both parties in the discussion here too).

If only this victory for Sony actually in anyway mattered. *shakes head*

metacritic isn't the most reliable site. it weighs reviews as it pleases. gamerankings is way better.

and i think you're being a bit harsh. it's like your coming down on sony for having games people generally like. would you be happier if they only released sh*t like conspiracy games?

Eh disagree.  Sure the weighing should be transparent... however Play Magazine shoudln't be worth the same as IGN.  Or an individual user review.

Kasz216 said:
tastyshovelware said:
4D Gamer III said:
Sony's sweet advantage? Sony's only able to edge ahead of Nintendo by such a narrow margin that its within the margin of error as clearly shown by Metacritics results. This is no real victory for Sony unless you were expecting much less from Sony to begin with.

Again another matter of people wanting to believe reviews as gods law when it suits them and attacking them when they don't (I'm pointing fingers at both parties in the discussion here too).

metacritic isn't the most reliable site. it weighs reviews as it pleases. gamerankings is way better.

and i think you're being a bit harsh. it's like your coming down on sony for having games people generally like. would you be happier if they only released sh*t like conspiracy games?

Eh disagree.  Sure the weighing should be transparent... however Play Magazine shoudln't be worth the same as IGN.  Or an individual user review.

Weighting should indeed be revealed. Until then, I'd rather go by an unbiased source in gamerankings.

windbane said:
Kasz216 said:
tastyshovelware said:
4D Gamer III said:

Weighting should indeed be revealed. Until then, I'd rather go by an unbiased source in gamerankings.

Unbiased because they support the conclusions you wish to believe?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.