By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What is this desktop worth? Used Alienware

ghost_of_fazz said:
Wow guys, what's up with the hate against the GTX 760? It can easily handle everything I throw at it at max settings, and I bought it a year ago.

Sure, maybe it won't be that way in 3 years, but come on.

They're over exaggerating

Around the Network

My computer is about as good as that one, and I would not be able to resell it for $300 lol.

Farsala said:
My computer is about as good as that one, and I would not be able to resell it for $300 lol.

I'm starting to realize that this is a tough call.  Because resale on ebay for these X51 machines is higher than the average desktop, and certainly higher than that of a customer build.  I still don't want to pay 650 for it.

But my 400 may have been a lowball.

Baalzamon said:
VanceIX said:

Used? I wouldn't pay over $500 for it. The CPU isn't overclockable, and the 760 is mid-range at best. i7 sounds fancy, but means nothing for gaming and since it isn't a K model, you cannot OC, which limits the system and the value. Also, the power supply is downright pitiful, 330W isn't going to get you far if you decide to upgrade.

Edit: Yup, a similar computer (brand new) is only $585. The one I linked is also overclockable. An extra $200 and you could even get a 970, one of the most powerful cards on the market currently. If you pay any more than $500, you are being ripped off big time. There is absolutely nothing "high end" about this PC. I personally would only buy it if it came down to $400 or less.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8KgcmG

...you are missing a motherboard and operating system. Those alone will run you about $150 more than the build you just linked (for a total of $735).

Edit: And a cd-drive, so increase that to $750. Add 7% sales tax, and you are at $800.

Actually, link got messed up, here's the new one- 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hX6ZrH

Still $665. And worst case scenario, OP can boot linux on the desktop, plenty of games now support linux, as well as the Steam Machines. Windows is still vastly preferred, but still very important. Also, lots of people can get free copies of Windows from their universities (if they are college students) or their workplace.

And why would anyone need a disc-drive in today's age? Almost everything is digital on PC.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

ghost_of_fazz said:
Wow guys, what's up with the hate against the GTX 760? It can easily handle everything I throw at it at max settings, and I bought it a year ago.

Not hating, just saying that it isn't worth it for $650. The 760 was a good card last year, but in no way is it "high end" as the Craigslist poster made it sound, not when the 770, 780, 7970, 280x, 280, and 290x were all better cards. It is a mid-end card, and mid-end cards do well for the first few years before balancing out at medium settings. Especially this early in the gen, game devs are going to be pushing the envelope to see the limits, and weaker cards tend to get a bit left behind. You'll still be able to play and enjoy your games, sure, but not at a very high setting.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
SaberSaurus said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

They're over exaggerating

I think the people who claim that "it can handle every newer game on max settings" are overexaggerating.

760 was already mid tier when it was released. 770 and 780 are the performance segment while Titan and 780ti would be the high end. I'm currently running an overclocked 680(which is noticeably stronger than a 760) and not even that is able to play newer games on high with a stable 60fps.

Sure, if you're fine with 30FPS and frequent drops, the 760 can handle most games on 1080p and high settings. But I don't think that's a good assessment of the power of a card.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It will max out all games in 1080p/60+ FPS. The price is appropriate. I didn't expect this forum to have so many PC elitists - people who think that everything that was released more than a year ago is automatically shiet and slow, midrange components are slow, less than 1000 watt psu is not enough etc.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
It will max out all games in 1080p/60+ FPS. The price is appropriate. I didn't expect this forum to have so many PC elitists - people who think that everything that was released more than a year ago is automatically shiet and slow, midrange components are slow, less than 1000 watt psu is not enough etc.

I guess it's pretty ridiculous. Yeah, maybe it won't play the newest of the newest games at 1080p/60fps, but it's not even near a bad PC.