By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why would anyone call EA Access a scam?!?

Subie_Greg said:
Is EA Access on PC or just Xbox?

Not on PC.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
Ruler said:
vivster said:
The scam is that it's not on PS4.

whats so scam about? do you want every company doing the same? Activision, 2k, take two, sega, capcom, blizzard, quare enix, ubisoft, rockstars ? Sony did right by banning this service, its better for the consumer and the industry. 

Come on who'd be dumb enough to subscribe to Sega.

Why would you want a 5$/monthly service when you can pay $2.99/4 hours rental?

its asy to make a point if you are comparing the bad of a certain type of model with the good of another. But you still would be lying to yourself though... even if you don't see it.

But you are right, who would want to subscribe to sega. But what of if all sega games becomes part of EA acess. Wouldn't that automatically add more value to EA Access? If you think that is a good thing, then you are doing exactly what they want and getting drunk on that cool aid

yvanjean said:
Subie_Greg said:

Not on PC.

It was Sony who told them NO

Who told them NO on PC? Can't they just do it...

vivster said:
Ruler said:
vivster said:
The scam is that it's not on PS4.

whats so scam about? do you want every company doing the same? Activision, 2k, take two, sega, capcom, blizzard, quare enix, ubisoft, rockstars ? Sony did right by banning this service, its better for the consumer and the industry.

Limiting choice is always the best practice for consumers. I don't know how to properly spend my money which is why I need another company to tell me where I should and shouldn't spend my money.

We should all be humbled by Sony. They think for us so that we don't have to.

you say that now but what happens if they make exclusive timed dlc and content only for ea access members and lower the free games once the user base gets big enough? also console manufacturers should have a right to have a monopoly on services or why else consoles are so cheap? because they make money from the services later.
If you dont like this way then go to the PC, sony was just doing what is right for them and console gaming, how console gaming should be and always has been. What is the point of consoles if one day every company makes their own service, then you need to contact every company  for every issue like you do on the PC.
Patches, DLC all started as a noble idea and what we have now? N,o thanks i am not thrilled to support another concept by devolopers, espacially not from EA LOL.
Also EA was behind the DRM policies of the Xbox One and wanted to dumb down Sony if MS would have succeeded with these policies. Sony just gave EA what they deserve, i am glad that they banned EA access.

Subie_Greg said:
yvanjean said:
Subie_Greg said:

Not on PC.

why pay $5/month when you can download it for free?

When you see a game like ACU on PC with sales of only like 200k... do you really think only 200k people on PC played it?

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252376/electronic-arts-more-games-coming-to-ea-access-soon/

Zackasaurus-rex (45 minutes ago)
It's sad that people would buy into a scam like this... I shudder at the day when subscriptions to Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. are expected of us at all times for publisher-owned arrangements. And it will be the EA Access kids who let it happen. :/

I wouldn't call it a scam in the traditional sense but it does set a dangerous precedent for other publishers to follow. 

I don't know about you but I don't want to have a subscription service for every big publisher out there on top of my Playstation Plus or XBL subscription. 

iTechHeads said:
yvanjean said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252376/electronic-arts-more-games-coming-to-ea-access-soon/

Zackasaurus-rex (45 minutes ago)
It's sad that people would buy into a scam like this... I shudder at the day when subscriptions to Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. are expected of us at all times for publisher-owned arrangements. And it will be the EA Access kids who let it happen. :/

I wouldn't call it a scam in the traditional sense but it does set a dangerous precedent for other publishers to follow. 

I don't know about you but I don't want to have a subscription service for every big publisher out there on top of my Playstation Plus or XBL subscription. 

what i find sad is how much control gamers seem to be willing to relinquish to publishers. For lack of a better description, I am inclined to brand most gamers as  ignorant, knee jerking sheeps. We just keep on letting publishers fuck us over.

Like its truly sad that some can't just look at EA access, and see how bad its business model can become for the industry.. simply because right now its not that bad. Its the same thing that happened with game patches, last gen, every once in a while we get a game fixing patch. Right now, practically every game released comes with a day one patch. And some games are still being patched 3 months after release. Then we gave into microtransactions, on disc DLC...

You know the industry is going to shit when a publisher fixes bugs in their microtransaction code before they make fixes to the game code that actually makes the game perform better. General Media is moving away from tiered services (TV) and things like netflix. amazon prime or even stuf like popcorn tme that makes all those other services a joke are springing up... yet gamers are marching with their eyes wide open right into the exact same thing. Do people realize that at one point cable TV was "free"? 

Subie_Greg said:
yvanjean said:
Subie_Greg said:

Not on PC.

THIS. It's clear there is a hidden agenda here. The price will eventually go up. The service will one day become mandatory. Games will be locked behind the service. So will betas and demos. Before we know it, we'll be paying for things that used to be free and not even realize it. 

Intrinsic said:
Wow... some people just can't see the big picture even if it slapped them in the face. Let me elaborate.

As a standalone entity, the concept of any kinda subscription service that gives you access to content for less than you would have had to pay for it individually is a great thing. But as I keep saying, the problem is when everyone does it. Please just follow me here and keep an open mind.

On one hand we have platform based subscription services. PS+/GWG. On the other we have publisher based subscription services. People are looking at what EA access is doing now and talking up how much value it has. But that right there is the hook. Once such a thing becomes mainstream, expect every publisher on the planet to be doing it. And those publishers that have too small a game portfolio to have a standalone service, will start partnering up with bigger publishers.

So at one point, and for EA to differentiate themselves from Ubisoft, EA will partner with Namco and Sega. And other publishers will make similar partnerships. And guess what, it won't be $5/month anymore when they know thats how the majority of gamers are getting their games. That price will start to go up. Next thing you are paying for 6 different services that cost $8/month. Next thing demos and early releases start to get locked behind the sub wall. Along with beta and all that good stuff.

Its common sense, whatever makes more money and is safer to do will get the most support from publishers.

Simple example. The only reason EA access exists, is cause PS+ and GWG has shown that gamers are willing to pay for stuff like that. The reason it exists independently, is cause EA stands to make more money from running their own subscription service than the peanuts they would make from PS+ when ever sony features one of their games on the IGC.

Why such services should be platform controlled, is that that way the overall cost is kept at a minimum. And to those saying you only sign up for the month they have a game you want? then be rest assured that they will all start handling it like PS+ where you only have access to your games when you have an active subscription. I could go on, but people really need to understand that their is nothing good about publisher based subscription services. Just look at it now and imagine how it wil be in another 10 years with how money hungry the publishers are teh gaming industry... I mean come on, we are talking about an industry where microtransaction in a title you paid $60 for is a thing.

As opposed to what???? What are your option now? Full retail, used game store, Ebay.... subscription service are OPTIONAL, CHEAP  (your still talking less then $5-10/month), Accessible.  

Like you said EA might  start including more publishers in their service to compete, if I wanted to play one of the old SEGA retail game. I would be force to pay an optional $8/month.

My lady wanted to play Just Dance 3 - because it had Robin Sparkles - Let's go to the Mall. She bought it for $35 on Ebay. I'd rather pay Ubisoft for DLC or  a service fee and get the option to play a game then having to go on Ebay.

Do you want a pay per service such as playstation now.... 

Variety of Rental Periods

Choose the rental period that best fits into your play style. Sample a game with a 4 hour rental or go deep with a longer duration. Rent most games for a week for about a dollar a day.

Or you prefer Nintendo's model of Eshop game.... Zelda Minish cap on WiiU .... Only $7.99

Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness - $4.99

yvanjean said:

As opposed to what???? What are your option now? Full retail, used game store, Ebay.... subscription service are OPTIONAL, CHEAP  (your still talking less then $5-10/month), Accessible.  

Like you said EA might  start including more publishers in their service to compete, if I wanted to play one of the old SEGA retail game. I would be force to pay an optional $8/month.

My lady wanted to play Just Dance 3 - because it had Robin Sparkles - Let's go to the Mall. She bought it for $35 on Ebay. I'd rather pay Ubisoft for DLC or  a service fee and get the option to play a game then having to go on Ebay.

Do you want a pay per service such as playstation now.... 

Variety of Rental Periods

Choose the rental period that best fits into your play style. Sample a game with a 4 hour rental or go deep with a longer duration. Rent most games for a week for about a dollar a day.

Or you prefer Nintendo's model of Eshop game.... Zelda Minish cap on WiiU .... Only $7.99

Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness - $4.99

You don't get it. There is nothing wrong with teh idea of a service like EA access. 

The problem is that when EA access and other services like it starts getting traction, it will NO LONGER BE what you are looking at right now. Thats a given. 

The problem is that what ea access and any other subscription service for that matter represents is just a lesser or the selectable evils. publisher based subscriptions being a worse evil than platform based subsciptions.

There is a much better way to do all this if the goal was to be fair to all parties involved. And if i can think of it then I am sure they have too. The reason everything is the way it is now is cause gamers aren't speaking up and cause they publishers can get away with all this nonsense.

If there is going to be change, I would just rather that while the change is happenning its directed towards the overall better good rather than towards the pit its heading right now. If you want, I could tell you the perfect way to go about these things that will benefit everyone. In spade. Gamers will play more games and publishers will make more money.