By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

NJ5 said:
I don't understand the people who say perfect scores shouldn't be given to any game.

If certain scores aren't supposed to be given, why are they in the freaking scale? You sound like an idiotic university teacher.

Amen.  I've long despised how whenever any game comes out somebody says "No game is perfect."

Of course no game is perfect per se.  Technology will always improve so graphics and sound will always improve.  As new gameplay features are experimented with something new will always be considered the next best setup.  Still if you say a 9.9 is the best you can get you are back at square one giving a game as high a score as possible. 

In the end giving a 10/10 to any game doesn't mean you think the game is perfect or the peak of gaming.  If it was Wii game scales would be down to 8.5 or so due to the fact that their graphics can't match the 360/PS3. 

All a 10/10 means is that the game did everything you could ask for and then some.

Around the Network

In the end, the scores are a collection of numbers out of 10. If it's possible for ANY category to get a 10, then technically a game can get a 10 total. I don't see why that's hard to understand.

Getting 10s in the Olympics doesn't mean their performance was UNBEATABLE. But it was damn near perfect.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Riot Of The Blood said:

It does not matter if my opinion has less worth. It's my opinion, and it's not trolling. I clearly stated that I want to play the game and see for myself if it's a 9.5 game or not. I don't see what's wrong with that. I don't know anyone who agrees with every score given out by reviewers. Just because this game is Brawl doesn't mean I have to think it's a 9.5 game. I want to form my own opinion on the game.

OK, but if you want to form an opinion on it, why are you posting about your obviously already formed opinions on the game? I will give you credit for giving the game a chance to change your mind. [edit:  which it just did!  Score!]

@Naznatipz:

I don't reject everything that's popular. If I did, then Mario would not be my favorite game ever; I would not be waiting for Dragon Quest 9, one of the biggest RPG's this generation will see; and I would not love Pokemon and game like it so much. I didn't even express an opinion on the game itself, just the score given to it. Thus, I said:

"I'm going to be the judge myself. When I play this game come Sunday, I'll see how good this game really is. Untill then, however, I will remain skeptical."

Excuse me? Aren't scores supposed to indicate the quality of the game? I mean, I know it doesn't always work out that way, but you act like saying it deserves a lower score isn't at all the same as saying it's not a great game, which is total bullshit.
"9.5 is the type of score you give to games like Super Mario 64 or Resident Evil 4, not stuff like Bioshock or Smash Brothers. Now, it seems like just about anything can get a high score."
Do you honestly deny that that statement is a slap in the face to Bioshock and SSBB? You can argue that Bioshock cheated by being a "stealth sequel", but no one can accuse Brawl of that.

Oh, and by the way, given the bar you set for 9.5 games, what would you classify as a 10?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

People are actually crying because IGN gives this game a 9.5?!? It seem some here are looking to be offended.

I'm in class right now posting from my cell phone instead of paying attention. I gotta make sure nobody's talking shit about my new G-d. This game should be a 10, and so should any game that matches it. Ha, as if that's possible. That's what this game does to you. If I was home I'd be playing it. Since I'm not I have to read about it. And after last night's session, I had my first dream about it! Brawl has finally infiltrated my whole psyche! And I haven't even touched the level editor! Mwahahahaha!!!

Around the Network

Worshiping this game like some kind of a god would explain why some are upset with the 9.5 score.

Smidlee said:
Worshiping this game like some kind of a god would explain why some are upset with the 9.5 score.

Worshipping it like a god may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there is more content in this game than in any game I've played in my life (not counting MMORPGs). I've been gaming for 20 years, so that says a lot.

Brawl didn't raise the bar on video game content. Brawl tied the bar to a rocket and sent it into the sun. It's practically an unsurpassable achievement.

Naznatips, you forgot that SSE "isn't as deep as an RPG".

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

naznatips said:
Smidlee said:

Worshipping it like a god may be a bit of an exaggeration, but there is more content in this game than in any game I've played in my life (not counting MMORPGs). I've been gaming for 20 years, so that says a lot.

Brawl didn't raise the bar on video game content. Brawl tied the bar to a rocket and sent it into the sun. It's practically an unsurpassable achievement.

Heck, but is not only the content(wich is great btw), as melee, the game looks fun as heck, thats the issue right now, looks like fun games are now casuals or childdish and don't deserve a good score...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I thought the review, for the most part, was fair. The only complaint I have with his review is when he said that he was actually disappointed that there weren't more 3rd party characters. Ummm...There didn't have to be any at all. Don't complain.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8