By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Brawl 9.5/10! Woot!

DMeisterJ said:
Well, the standardation is off, but like I said. The game still got a nice review. IGN has always been off on standardation, which is why the review score is not an average. If so, then people would go off because they're more lax with their numbers than most.
Well you could say it's the other sites that's off as well given it a 10. IMO no game should get a 10 on graphics unless it is the best looking console game of this generation no matter which console is happen to be on.

Around the Network

If you're in the SF Bay area, you can come over this week and brawl with the best.  Well that is... after I unlock him.

So so far, in this thread, we've proven:

IGN's remark that Brawl's graphics are barely improved over Melee was total bullshit.  The screenshot comparisons speak for themselves.

IGN thinks the game looks just as good as Twlight Princess but not as good as Corruption, even though it looks insanely better than both.

All of IGN's numbers have been thrown into disarray by Griffin's post about IGN's scores for DMC4, CoD4, Lair, etc. etc.

Riot of the Blood truly believes all game scores should be capped based on console handicaps.

Interesting.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
If you're in the SF Bay area, you can come over this week and brawl with the best. Well that is... after I unlock him.

IGN's remark that Brawl's graphics are barely improved over Melee was total bullshit. The screenshot comparisons speak for themselves.

IGN thinks the game looks just as good as Twlight Princess but not as good as Corruption, even though it looks insanely better than both.

All of IGN's numbers have been thrown into disarray by Griffin's post about IGN's scores for DMC4, CoD4, Lair, etc. etc.

Riot of the Blood truly believes all game scores should be capped based on console handicaps.

Interesting.

lol

I agree, this has been a very fun thread.  

It's always fun seeing how beliefs towards gaming differ from gamer to gamer. 

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Smidlee said:
DMeisterJ said:
Well, the standardation is off, but like I said. The game still got a nice review. IGN has always been off on standardation, which is why the review score is not an average. If so, then people would go off because they're more lax with their numbers than most.
Well you could say it's the other sites that's off as well given it a 10. IMO no game should get a 10 on graphics unless it is the best looking console game of this generation no matter which console is happen to be on.

Are you saying that each category can only get one 10 per generation?

I think Brawl, Galaxy, and Wii Sports should all have 9.5 to 10.0 scores for everything.  I also feel the same way about Portal, Geometry Wars, Katamari, Advance Wars, and Viewtiful Joe.  Other than that, I'd max out every other game of the past 5 years at 8.0.  Ooh ooh, except No More Heroes, that'd be an 8.8, tied with Zelda.  Hahaha.  This is why I don't review games... yet.  I'd also give Doom a 9.5 and Doom II a 10.0, and then every single FPS since then would be 0.1 less for bringing nothing new to the table, and today we'd have COD4 and Halo 3 in the low 0s and 1s range.  But HL2, CS2, and TF2 would be 9.0, and Portal would be 10.0.

http://media.video.ign.com/ev/sv.html?dlURL=wiimovies.ign.com/wii/video/article/851/851285/smash-new-1_flvlowwide.flv&object_ID=748545

A pretty good video for checking out the quality of it in motion, but obviously there is a lot of graphic noise that shouldn't be there.  Still, the colors are better on it than in GT videos, which fade out the color for some reason.  There really is no video site that does the game justice.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
If you're in the SF Bay area, you can come over this week and brawl with the best.  Well that is... after I unlock him.

IGN's remark that Brawl's graphics are barely improved over Melee was total bullshit.  The screenshot comparisons speak for themselves.

Interesting.

I'm pretty sure ign never said that. they said it's an enhanced version of melee's graphics. meaning the basic style holds true but the game itself is a marked improvement.

as ive stated before- melee, 2001, gamecube, 8 for graphics
.............................- brawl, 2008, wii, 8.5 for graphics
im pretty sure they think the game looks really good.

other games are viewed as being enhanced. it's all a style thing, not a substance thing. halo 3 is an enhanced halo 1. it looks way better but it still follows the same basic style. 

Well if that's the case, then "enhanced" was an intentional understatement, 'cuz they could have just as easily said "blows Melee out of the water."

I would've let "enhanced" slide until Naz brought in those comparison screens. I'll never be able to look at the Link or Zelda from Melee again. That was sick. I hope I never have to look at Brawl the same way. Ugh.

the art style and general look are similar so the word "enhanced" isn't bad. they follow up the word "enhanced" with some very nice compliments.

it is impossible to make a standard rating of games when games are constantly evolving and getting better.

We should RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW IN THIS THREAD FIX THIS PROBLEM.

We'll make a chart, with the expected evolution of video game graphics, sound, art, controls, style, immersion, etc., all into one line that goes up exponentially from the 60's and into the future. We can use a lot of landmark games as key points for this graph.

Then as new games come out, we put them on the graph and see if they're raising the bar or not reaching it. I think it'll take 20 VGC members about 6 hours and a lot of booze. What do you say?