By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon sales in Japan are trending towards older gamers

Japan - Pokemon game sales skewing towards older gamers

- early purchasers of Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were primarily in their 20s
- the proportion of early purchasers under the age of 15 was significantly lower than X/Y
- with Diamond/Pearl, the games sold primarily to preschoolers, 1st – 3rd-graders/4th – 6th
- with HeartGold/SoulSilver, highschoolers and the 19-24 age saw an increase
- with Black/White, the games were mainly by users between the ages of 19 and 24
- with X/Y, they also sold primarily to college students at launch
- franchise sales overall have seen a decline in the last 5 years

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/242874-japan-pokemon-game-sales-skewing-towards-older-gamers

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/01/pokemons-audience-growing-older/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29

thoughts? expected?

Around the Network

Makes sense! There are a lot of Pokemon fans that played it when they are little and they will continue to play it cause they are fairly great games

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Um.. isn't this bad? There is no new generation picking up the games? They are probably playing candy crush on their mobile...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I'm not surprised. Older people are gonna buy the remakes moreso than newer people. Since younger people won't usually buy more than one Pokemon game. Since they don't have the income control.

Around the Network

People in their early twenties grew up with the games. I've been playing Pokemon since I was four. So it doesn't surprise me at all. It'd be nice if Game Freak altered the difficulty and even story to make it more accommodating to an aging audience.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

BraveNewWorld said:
People in their early twenties grew up with the games. I've been playing Pokemon since I was four. So it doesn't surprise me at all. It'd be nice if Game Freak altered the difficulty and even story to make it more accommodating to an aging audience.

They really don't have to. Just look at the undertones to a lot of the games. For example Kyogre and Groudons abilties on the planet, near the end. People have to be dying. Team Rocket are abusing Pokemon physically to get them to coperate. When they're stolen. The slowpoke that got their tails cut off etc.

Although I'm sure the average Pokemon player is getting older, we should also realize that these figures are based solely on Club Nintendo registrants. The average Club Nintendo user is probably older than the average Pokemon player. Not everybody registers.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

JazzB1987 said:

Ahahahaha so true!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

NiKKoM said:
Um.. isn't this bad? There is no new generation picking up the games? They are probably playing candy crush on their mobile...

Since we are talking about Japan its more Puzzle and Dragons or Dragon Quest Monsters Super Lite, but yes this is indeed a bad thing.
If their is no new generation of kids picking it up sales will continue to slip as they have been.