By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Survival Horror vs Action Horror

This debate is divided into 5 categories.

Which had games with the better setting?

Which had games with the better music?

Which had games with better game design (How the game works)?

Which had games with the better combat gameplay?

Which had games with the better story?

Begin!

Around the Network

Survival Horror cause action horror is essentially cod with zombie mode

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Survival Horror. Action horror is a cancer on the industry.

]

Pfff really? survival horror all the way!

A related question to anyone who's played it: which would you say Evil Within is? I lean toward action horror myself.

And whichever one Evil Within is, it has the best music just because of Clair de Lune.

Silent Hill 2 pretty much has the best everything, except for combat.

Around the Network

Really? Survival horror all day.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Survival Horror is basically action horror with the difficulty drastically turned up and a few "play it smart" options added. Fundamentally, in A-H there is no choice but to fight, and is balanced around that. S-H is mechanically very similar, but the enemies are stronger, item drops are rarer, and the player is encouraged to find alternatives to fighting.

Basically, in A-H the player is directed into fighting the monster by the designer. S-H adds that the player is never allowed to properly prepare for a fight, and there are usually some alternatives around.

Other than that, they're basically the same thing.

If I had to pick, though, I would say S-H is better because it includes all the A-H design choices and then adds its own. You can always turn a S-H game into an A-H game by turning the difficulty down and playing like Rambo, but the reverse is not true.

Action horror because of the faster pace.

KylieDog said:

No such thing as action horror, it is just action with monsters.

Monsters don't instantly make something horror.

Obviously it's more than monsters. Uncharted has monsters and is just action. Dead space though isn't a survival horror, but it's not just action with monsters.

Some differences between action and action horror. How player deaths are handled . How enemies act, spawn move and kill. Horror is much more likely to have them sneaking up on you to scare you than action.

Horror is not limited to survival horror. Horror just means that the game is designed to scare and or disturb the player.

Survival horror, action horror is why I stopped playing resident evil and silent hill