By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dead or Alive fighting series vs Tekken

CAL4M1TY said

Haha, you're kidding right, any REAL hardcore fighting fan would pick neither. Street Fighter 2, Street fighter 3: 3rd Strike, Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur before they would touch Tekken or DOA.

At the arcade, there's always one dude sitting there waiting for people to challenge him, and he will almost always picked Hwang, Eddie, Jin or Lei and they'll always win by spamming the same attacks. With DOA, it's the Ninja's. That tells you how balanced the games are (i.e they aren't) and that's why any competitive player of fighting games wouldn't pick those two games.

Lawlz, Why don't you go to EVO or a regional tournament before you try to tell me what a real fighting hardcore fan wants. Tekken is by far more popular in the arcade scene than VF, ofcourse I'm not putting down VF in anyway since it takes more skill to play VF competitively. But Tekken ALWAYS have the best pot/turnouts in U.S/Asian Tournys when it comes to 3d fighters, and yes, easily more than SC (which i ranked 2nd in SC2 during the Charlotte Mind Boogle regionals). And also, You CLEARLY don't know jack about Tekken if you think "Hwang"(who is a SC character),eddy or Lei is among the top teir characters, go to zaibatsu/SRK and read up plz. To be frank that dude that sits in your arcade waiting for noobs is what is known (in arcade scene terms) as a scrub, I own scrubs EASY, all you need to do is learn how to low parry and block (True ogre's FF,2 is a different animal). But yes, the hardcore fan would probably pick SF 3rd Strike over Tekken (but not SF2 turbo), but none of that matters since it's 2d vs 3d which are very different fanbases. Either way, i doubt you know anymore than me in anyone one of those games that you've mentioned.

Considering that Tekken hadn't gone online until the last installment, you can't say there's a far better community and be objective about it. Better combo system is also subjective, and it would be the "better" if you meant the ability to easily string combo's together but considering most tekken players spam 1 or 2 attacks, there's not much of a combo system (let alone a game mechanic to balance spamming).

Community (for fighting games) =/= online, Hardcore players much rather play side by side than on online and deal with frame delays, lag and people droping out. If you knew how important frames were in Tekken (or fighting games in gerenal) you'd know this.

Tekken strings don't work in competitive play but only against rookies. Tekken is far more about frame priority, buffering, wakeup game, sidestep and juggle setup/juggles. PLEASE get some experience on Tekken before you make false assumptions, if you have a PS3 go get T5:DR and I'll get back into the Tekken scene just to show you what I'm talking about . You can use whomever character you want, and i'll use whoever character YOU want to me use. Based on the information I'm getting from your post about Tekken, I'd say i'd easily crush you. And yes, even if i hadn't played tekken seriously in 2-3 years.

Anyways, I hate to sound like I'm braging to make a point because I've gotten my ass handed to me many times in those games that you've mention when trying to get good, but I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

Around the Network

I have Dead or Alive 4 for my XBOX 360 and I also like it more than what the Tekken series has offered thus far. I hope that Tekken 6 will be better than its predecessors but from the video I have seen so far it does not look like it.

First off, why are you comparing the two games graphically? DOA 4 was released on 360, Tekken: DR is a remake of a PS2 game. Wait for Tekken 6 for graphical comparisons. (T 6 will look much better than DOA 4 did)

Second, why haven't you gotten Virtua Fighter 5? It's better than both of them combined and it looks gorgeous.

Third, Soul Calibur IV comes out in 3 months and kills both of these and looks better than VF 5.

3D fighter hierarchy:

Virtua Fighter> or = Soul Calibur (depending on the SC game)>>>Dead or Alive>Tekken>Everything else>Mortal Kombat>MK Vs. DC

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

The graphical comparison comment was for others in the thread, not the OP.

bbsin said:
Real hardcore fighting fans will pick Tekken over DOA. There's a better combo system, the fundamental gameplay is all there and there's a far better community. DOA is a decent game with better graphics than tekken (until T6 comes out), and it's more of a fan service. Tekken > DOA.

i would say real hardcore fighting fans will pick virtua fighter....but imo i think DOA is a better game than tekken overall but nothing beats killer instinct for snes 

Around the Network
ckmlb said:

3D fighter hierarchy:

Virtua Fighter> or = Soul Calibur (depending on the SC game)>>>Dead or Alive>Tekken>Everything else>Mortal Kombat>MK Vs. DC

Sorry bro, I've been to far too many tournaments in my life to accept "DOA >Tekken" as a fact. Not one DOA game is even nearly as good as TTT. 

The fact of the matter is that the food chain goes like this:

Tekken (most played and competitive 3d fighter) > VF (most challenging 3d fighter with highest learning curve) > SC (lost alot of credit when SC3 was console exclusive and severly unbalanced) > DOA ( Not a bad game at all, very good presentation and fanservice, but is the least played and competitive 3d fighting game in major tournaments) > MK (MK 3d blew, MK2d was godly) = SFEX (yeah...)

I'm only adding 3d fighting games that has been in arcades. So no BAT, Ehrgeiz, Tobal,etc

Rock_on_2008 said:
I have played both Tekken 1,2 and 3 all Tekken games were so meh. I have played Dead or Alive Ultimate that had Dead Alive 1 and 2 on it on XBox that was good. I have played Dead or Alive 4 on 360 that was a good fighter game. I have played Virtua Fighter 5 on both PS3 and 360 and that was the best of the lot and the best fighter game ever.
Virtua Fighter>DoA>>>>>Tekken

Didn't even notice that this was a resurrected thread lol.

Tekken is much better than DOA.

Ti.... I mean Dead or alive for me... But still I love tekken!