By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What pushed the PSone more? Final Fantasy, Tony Hawk, or Metal Gear solid?

Which one defined the system?

mgs 26 13.33%

FF 122 62.56%

TH 10 5.13%

Other post below 14 7.18%

see results of poll 9 4.62%

I love Wii U!! 14 7.18%

Total:195

If I have to choose from that list, I guess I'll go with FF. But there were plenty of games pushing PS sales. Gran Turismo, Tekken, Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Resident Evil...

Actually, it seems a lot big franchises were born on PlayStation.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy without a doubt when choosing from that list.

Blob said:

Both of you. I disagree with the statement that sony was never about mascots. Crash and spyro rivalled Nintendos best back in the day, and that is what they were meant to do. Then when they lost control of them they attempted to make some more in Jak, Sly and rachet. The ps3 gen was them changing demographics more than anything, which was a smart move as we can see with the sales of mascot platformers and less "mature" titles these days.

i disagree, for starters who said that Jack and Daxter were created to be Sonys mascots? who said that please answer me? who said that? no one, its just youre interpretation of them, Naughty Dog has always wanted to make new games every gen, thats the real reason why they moved on to Uncharted and that the reason why the next Uncharted is the last one because they stated that they wanted to make NEW GAMES, and Sony manages their studios like you would manage artist by letting them do whatever they want to do, they give their studios creative freedom instead of having them do the same games for decades generation after generation.

Just to repeat it Uncharted might be coming out on the PS4 but its the last one, and Sony always does new games every gen and this one is looking to be the same, also Sony didnt change demographics, what are you talking about? it had platformers on the PS1, PS2 and PS3.

-PS1 we had Crash and Spyro

-PS2 we had some Crash Games along with Rachet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and Jack and Daxter.

-PS3 we had remastered versions of Sly Cooper and Jack and Daxter, then we had new games of Ratchet and Clank and more importantly NEW PLATFORMERS like Puppeter and Little big Planet, and those are games made by Sony First Party, (unlike Spyro and Rachet and Clank)

the fact that Naughty Dog moved on (from Jack and Daxter) to make new games that THEY wanted to make, doesnt mean that Sony stoped supporting and making new Platformers... (actually the PS3 had more exclusive platformers than the PS2).

-PS4 a LAUNCH tittle for the PS4 was Knack, and regardless if the game was good or bad it is another platformer made by Sony First Party, and it is literally the first exclusive to hit the PS4 alongside Killzone Shadowfall

as you can see saying that Sony changed demographics is false, because Sony is about having something for everyone, its about reaching to ALL demographics, from the platformers (Little Big Planet, Knack, Puppeter etc), the action and adventure games (Uncharted), the shooters(Killzone, Resistance), fighting games (Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Aquapazza), RPGs (Demons Souls, Bloodborne), JRPGs (The tales games, Atelier games, Neptunia games etc.) SRPGs (Mugen Souls, Disgaea), Survival Horror (TLOU), Racing Games (Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, Driveclub), Hack and Slash (God of War), Rythim games (The Hatsune Miku games) to even stuff like visual novels etc. (and thats just off the top of my mind)

-"The ps3 was them changing demographics"

The only one who changed Demographics was Naughty Dog when they decided to move on from Jack and Daxter to other games they wanted to make like Uncharted and recently with The Last of Us.

also just to prove further more how much ND cares about making new games vs working on old IPs just look at TLOU, despite the huge succes of the game ND is still unsure if they want to make a sequel, and they just recently announced that they have a NEW game in the works, (in other words not another Uncharted or TLOU game).

KyleeStrutt said:
bananaking21 said:
piracy.

well, at least here in the middle east it did. lol

South America has your back.

most of south east Asian people  say Hi Lol

for me it was final fantasy, I really liked 7 the most and i played it over and over. FF was all i ever heard about on ps1. open a magazine FF for ps1, never saw tony hawk, ever.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Around the Network

I remember Resident Evil being absolutely huge asst the time (as was Tomb Raider) but, of the games listed, I guess Final Fantasy VIII got people excited. Those CGI commercials made people go crazy!

Final Fantasy obviously, but there were other games like Tekken 3, Residnt Evil, Tombraider that boosted the psone sales heavily.