By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much would you rate ET (Atari 2600)?

Tagged games:

ET actually wasn't as bad as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but that game just never had popularity enough to be hated as much as ET.

I actually found ET pretty easy, but maybe I'm just a better gamer than most people. =) Centipede was the bomb tho!

As for ratings, I'd say 6/10 - some controls (lifting neck to elevate) were oversensitive, movie-based game didn't really follow story all that well. Yet, I've played much worse 2600 games.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

1/10

Yeah, I played it and I probably still have the cart somewhere.  I was actually pretty excited about it, too.  Sure, it came from the bargain-bin (the only way my mom would buy a game) but without the internet back then, I had no idea that it was bad.

I remember that I would put the game in and try to play it periodically but never for long.  It was just a boring and frustrating experience, partially because I had NO IDEA what the fuck it was I was supposed to do.  It was simply not fun in any sense of the word.  The Journey game (yes, the band) was a billion times better.  That tells you all you need to know.

Not the worst game I've ever played, though.  That would go to Bugs.

E.T. is a 5. I played the game in the 80's. Looking back, it was just too difficult for a kid to play. Certainly as Phil Wiswell showed in those old Vestron videos, the game isn't tough to play if you know what you're doing. Most kids didn't have the patience to fall into holes or learn the game mechanics. As Steven Spielberg said, Howard Scott Warshaw should have just made a Pac-Man clone. That said, Warshaw did a fair job getting his game ready on a tight deadline.

I played it a while ago,  remember really hating it...

But then again, there are two games I find playable on the Atari 2600, they are: Enduro and River Raid, everything else is just too limited to be meaningful in anyway.

I think that before the NES area this is like the pre-historic period of gaming, especially for home consoles... the Coleco had a few really good and surprisingly advanced games, but from what I understand management though there were enough games on it at some point and stopped releasing new titles... (the drop in investment was probably caused by the video game crash?)

So then came Nintendo with the NES, it had a good controller (hands down the best of its time) and hardware powerful enough to enable early adventure titles like Zelda, Kid Icarus, Metroid and third party games like the Mega Man series... so on and so forth, all this was unthinkable before then and they're all enjoyable to this day!

I'd give it a 10 because it allowed Nintendo to enter the home console business.

Around the Network

8/8, it's quite great bait.

Squeezol said:
8/8, it's quite gr8 b8, m8.

Fixed

I would give it 3 pisses in the face

I owned this game as a kid. It was horrible. I'm not sure how you can really give it a 6.9/10.

marley said:
I owned this game as a kid. It was horrible. I'm not sure how you can really give it a 6.9/10.

1. 6.9 = 69

2. I gave it two pluses with the reason being "plus"

3. Are you blind? Or are you trolling?...

4. It's a joke... obviously.

5. Still think i'm serious?