By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 VS. Wii *First Year Results*

If PS4 had japan like the wii had, the gap would be even bigger. At least PS4 has been crowned in other places.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network

PS4 can easily top Wii's holiday with enough stock

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Congrats Sony for such success! :D

PS4 will trump Wii Totals in the end, but can't see it outperforming the Wii of 08. That was an absolute monster!

biglittlesps said:
LordLichtenstein said:

From November 25th 2006 - January 3rd 2009 (2 years), Wii sold 43,595,128 units. Now, what exactly would keep PS4 from obtaining the same result?

Right now PS4 cost $150 more, than what Wii did, and it is still pulling Wii numbers. PS4 clearly has the better 3rd party support between the two, and PS4 has a lot more interesting projects coming up; 
Playstation Vue, Playstation Now, and Morpheus. 

Also, there will be tons of games next year.

Q1 2015

Jan 20-----Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
Jan 27-----Dying Light
Feb 10----Evolve
Feb 17----Resident Evil: Revelations 2
Feb 17----Dragon Ball Xenoverse
Feb 20----The Order: 1886
Feb 24----The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Mar 17----Project Cars
Mar 17----Battlefield: Hardline
Mar 17----Final Fantasy Type-O HD (includes Final Fantasy XV demo)
Mar 24----Bloodborne

PS4 sales are from gamers who want to play games but Wii sales are from casuals who wanted to try motion control gimmick. So, PS4 sales are all time great for any gaming machine considering its 150$ more than Wii and it has competition in their segments from XB1 and Wii U unlike Wii was different from PS3 and XB360.

Cause casuals don't play COD, AC, GTA and FIFA, right?

Come on, you can believe anything you want, but when mediocre games like COD: Ghosts sells over 20M, it is really obvious that some casuals went from the Wii to the PS360 and now to PS4/XONE. Just look the sales of anything that is not Shooter/Action/Sports.

Around the Network

And Sony is selling this many systems with a $400.00 price tag and supposedly "no system seller" yet..I can't wait to see what happens when the supposed system sellers launch

I think the real number will show that PS4 is already leading that race.
I expect Sony to announce that a PSX or by the end of 2014 or at 20 million.

Don't copy random editorials.

ThatDanishGamer said:
I think the real number will show that PS4 is already leading that race.
I expect Sony to announce that a PSX or by the end of 2014 or at 20 million.

I don't think PS4 is leading already, but I am certain that by years end PS4 will.

Jeg var ikke klar over at der var danskere på VGC :)

This is a difficult comparison to make as the Wii was enormously supply constrained for several years, unlike anything before or since. I sold my used Wii with a couple of games on eBay in the run up to Xmas of '08 for $400+, for example!

Even if the PS4 surpasses the Wii for this particular time frame, I don't see it keeping up for very long. There just isn't the same mass-market excitement as there was for the Wii.

It is also difficult to tell what kind of depth there is in the market this generation. How many people get enough of their gaming from mobiles or tablets these days to forego consoles? My nephew (9-ish) is asking for the new iPad for Christmas this year even though he already has a functioning earlier model iPad. His PS3 is gathering dust as most of his gaming happens on the iPad and he has shown no interest in the new consoles. This certainly seems to be what is happening in Japan as both handhelds and consoles are down sharply this generation.

Other questions such as whether this will be a shorter generation because of the relative lack of power of the new consoles, could also impact the overall result.

Of course, emerging ROW markets could make up for this slack and this cold be the biggest generation yet.

And PS4 is also undertracked... wow.
Next year will be interesting!