By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Designer Explains why the Console Is So Bulky

HokageTenshi said:
mii-gamer said:
KLXVER said:
Well the PS4 is like half the size and it doesn't have an external AC adaptor. Yet it has no overheating problems either...?

The fans inside the ps4 are quite loud compared to the xbox one, well from my experience that is. Sometimes I get worried, as it sounds unhealthy at times

is it? how come mine never have such problem even after playing like 5 hour still didn't hear anything from it... 

I live in Australia and is fucking hot down here lol.

Still my ps4 fans are loud, and I don't know why. Kinda worried that it might be break anytime. Luckily I kept the receipt, so i can replace it or have it fixed if it does fuck up.

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
HokageTenshi said:

is it? how come mine never have such problem even after playing like 5 hour still didn't hear anything from it... 

I live in Australia and is fucking hot down here lol.

Still my ps4 fans are loud, and I don't know why. Kinda worried that it might be break anytime. Luckily I kept the receipt, so i can replace it or have it fixed if it does fuck up.

Definitely hang on to that receipt.

I just checked and my PS4 fans aren't loud, at all. I even have it placed between two glass panels and have GTAV running on it for hours.

The size of the console is kinda annoying, I buy all the consoles so it being so big means everything won't fit in my TV stand.  Hopefully a slim version comes along before I have to buy a X1.

Dallinor said:

I just checked and my PS4 fans aren't loud, at all. I even have it placed between two glass panels and have GTAV running on it for hours.

So the loud fans aren't normal? I hope it doesn't fuck up :(

KLXVER said:
Well the PS4 is like half the size and it doesn't have an external AC adaptor. Yet it has no overheating problems either...?

Pretty sure Microsoft was just playing it safe. Better safe than sorry.

Also, half the size? Um...

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
KLXVER said:

Pretty sure Microsoft was just playing it safe. Better safe than sorry.

Also, half the size? Um...

The XB1 is a bit taller as well...

mii-gamer said:
Dallinor said:

So the loud fans aren't normal? I hope it doesn't fuck up :(

I remember my PS3 fans getting louder during the summer, even my laptop did, so room temperature does effect it. Also, over time dust can accumulate and clog the vents. I'm not sure how hot your room is, or how restricted the ventilation is where your PS4 is currently positioned, but I would be slightly worried if- particularly for a new piece of hardware- the fans were running quite loudly. 

Do other electronic devices ie. laptops consoles etc. run loud for you? If the answer is no, you may have a faulty device, and as I mentioned already hanging on to that recepit is advised.

Designs come down to the people that are hired for the project. Some are just better than others.

KLXVER said:
MoHasanie said:
KLXVER said:

Maybe PS4 had better engineers. 

Sounds like it. I have no idea how that stuff works though

Checkout the teardown.  I recommend the one performed by Wired. The PS4 is a slanted heatsink. The whole machine is designed to redirect heat and airflow. The thing is an engineering marvel and it is executed in a very artistic manner (see teardown).  The Xbox One's design fulfill the same airflow requirements but is far less elegant in its execution.  The PS4 has hotter components but the design of the the cooling solution is completely built into the design of the PS4 from the ground up.

Dallinor said:

I remember my PS3 fans getting louder during the summer, even my laptop did, so room temperature does effect it. Also, over time dust can accumulate and clog the vents. I'm not sure how hot your room is, or how restricted the ventilation is where your PS4 is currently positioned, but I would be slightly worried if- particularly for a new piece of hardware- the fans were running quite loudly. 

Do other electronic devices ie. laptops consoles etc. run loud for you? If the answer is no, you may have a faulty device, and as I mentioned already hanging on to that recepit is advised.

I take all my consoles out of the shelf when I use it, so it doesn't overheat when running. My PS3, 360, Wii U, Xbox One, and  laptop don't have unusual sound problems.  The ps4 is a month old, so i suspect it has some minor fault in it. Thanks for your help, fingers cross that it doesn't fuck up!