By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Adoption Quadruples Previous Consoles in The Middle East; Germany Becomes Second European Market for Sony

bananaking21 said:
alrightiwill said:
bananaking21 said:

the playstation brand in Middle East is beyond dominant. everybody here owns a playstation. rarely do you find xbox's and even less nintendo. the domination is well deserved as well.

Also, clear signs of where some of the undertracking here is happening, lets see if any adjustments happen. 

That's pretty interesting. Is there any anti-USA sentiment in purchasing consoles where you are? Or do people not actually care like most of the world and just buy the thing they want?

no. nothing even close to that

the reason is simple, people really got into gaming with playstation 1, sony did a really good job with introducing the gaming consoles to the mass market here, also, a big factor was piracy, people bought games for like 1 or 2 bucks a pop. rarely did anybody buy real copies. and sony here made games that people liked, like god of war, which is pretty big here, at least in jordan i can say so. 

@underlined: you could say that is the case, iphone here is huge for example. and most people dont even know sony is japanese i bet, i would assume a good chunk think its an american brand. 

Looks like GOW is really big in ROW, its big in Brazil, Jordan and even in India. It could be huge in many other countries, probably the reason why its always undertracked.

Around the Network

As i said several times, PS is the dominant brand in Croatia (as in 95% or more - my own estimate).

X360 gained some ground, but only because of the pirated games. But even then it was only about 5-10% of the PS3 number, and then mostly bought by people that also have a PS3. (Single player games pirated on X360, online played on PS3 because of no subscription fee).
Now that XOne cannot be pirated, most people simply decided it's not worth the hassle to own it.

Back in X360 days, great majority of population had no idea what XBox is (and only the older generation even remembers Nintendo as a brand).
So the conversation went like this (a lot of times):
- What is that thing?
- XBox!
- What????
- It's like a PlayStation, only made by Microsoft.
- Ah, now I understand (walks away unimpressed and confused)...

Playstation is just a huge brand here, basically all consoles are called playstations...

EDIT: I also need to add that all handhelds are still called Gameboy :) 

bananaking21 said:
alrightiwill said:
bananaking21 said:

the playstation brand in Middle East is beyond dominant. everybody here owns a playstation. rarely do you find xbox's and even less nintendo. the domination is well deserved as well.

Also, clear signs of where some of the undertracking here is happening, lets see if any adjustments happen. 

That's pretty interesting. Is there any anti-USA sentiment in purchasing consoles where you are? Or do people not actually care like most of the world and just buy the thing they want?

no. nothing even close to that

the reason is simple, people really got into gaming with playstation 1, sony did a really good job with introducing the gaming consoles to the mass market here, also, a big factor was piracy, people bought games for like 1 or 2 bucks a pop. rarely did anybody buy real copies. and sony here made games that people liked, like god of war, which is pretty big here, at least in jordan i can say so. 

@underlined: you could say that is the case, iphone here is huge for example. and most people dont even know sony is japanese i bet, i would assume a good chunk think its an american brand. 

That's pretty cool and something I wouldn't have guessed. I've heard a lot of people talk about how PS4 will do bad in China because it's Japanese, or Xbox in Japan because it's american but I always thought those claims were largely unfounded when the likes of Apple or Toyota do very well.

I thought the middle-east may be a little different though but glad to know gamers go for what they love worldwide :)

bubblegamer said:

It is UK.

soony_xbone_U said:

Yes, UK is still Sonys biggest European market
Germany changed from thrid to second. Last gen France was the second biggest

i thought France or Spain was the 1st, not UK......and i thought XB1 dominates there

my mistake.....thanks guys

drdante said:

bubblegamer said:

It is UK.

soony_xbone_U said:

Yes, UK is still Sonys biggest European market
Germany changed from thrid to second. Last gen France was the second biggest

i thought France or Spain was the 1st, not UK......my mistake

thanks guys

If u go by marketshare, Spain is bigger than UK and Germany, yes
But if u go by overall market size and sold units, no

Around the Network

PS is a world brand, this should surprise none here.

Its price is so much better then previous consoles its only natural adoption rate should be greater.

Playstation is dominant here in Israel, though Xbox has gotten a big cut of the market. Nintendo's pretty much nonexistent aside from the Wii Mini...
Imagine how hard it is being a Nintendo fan over here ):

Burek said:

As i said several times, PS is the dominant brand in Croatia (as in 95% or more - my own estimate).

X360 gained some ground, but only because of the pirated games. But even then it was only about 5-10% of the PS3 number, and then mostly bought by people that also have a PS3. (Single player games pirated on X360, online played on PS3 because of no subscription fee).
Now that XOne cannot be pirated, most people simply decided it's not worth the hassle to own it.

Back in X360 days, great majority of population had no idea what XBox is (and only the older generation even remembers Nintendo as a brand).
So the conversation went like this (a lot of times):
- What is that thing?
- XBox!
- What????
- It's like a PlayStation, only made by Microsoft.
- Ah, now I understand (walks away unimpressed and confused)...

Playstation is just a huge brand here, basically all consoles are called playstations...

EDIT: I also need to add that all handhelds are still called Gameboy :) 

That's nothing, ove here every handheld is called an Atari for crying out loud.

All this domination and not a single price drop! KABOOM!

4 times what ANY other console has done before really cannot be overstated! Explains the ridiculously high ROW numbers we see here now

The One and Only

VizionEck.com