By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New PS3 60gb now for $500

My only problem with Ebay (apart from the occasional unscrupulous vendor) is the shipping: Sometimes it is 2-5x what it would cost via Amazon, so whatever savings from buying in Ebay is pretty much eliminated.

Around the Network

You can't compare eBay to official retailers. There just aren't that much people who use it, even if you make trade with honest people, there can happen something unexpected in shipping (i have had one problem like that when buing from internet auctions). And if someone really just wants to steal your money, it's not hard to do. You may ask yourself a question, is 500 worth of one bad feedback when you have 300 good feedbacks and you can blame shipping from losing your shipment? You see, there are so much more people who buy their stuff from stores, you don't buy anything, that is not supply constrained, from eBay to get it with the price you pay for the retailer, you buy stuff from eBay to get it cheaper. I think Amazon sells more PS3:s at 600, than eBay at 500. Idea behind the pricecut is that Sony have to do something before competitors have too much advance, since if they can't boost up the sales, 3rd parties leave from PS3 and Sony has an expensive console with no games, when competitors have much cheaper consoles with a lot of games. Now, Sony has one problem with the pricecut, they can't afford it unless they cut costs from marketing or/and game development, and that don't help sales at all. Or they can take loans or use their investments for pricecut, but if sales still don't go up, they invested money for the pricecut for nothing, and after that they are even in deeper shit with PS3 than before.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

fooflexible said:
I do think there is some potential backlash to lowering their price this early, it could look like a product in danger, and if the market gets that picture it could turn off the customer base. I could picture a conversation in my local gamestop. "Yeah they dropped the ps3's by a 100 bucks." "Wow, I could afford in now! I'm surprised that happened so fast." -potential customer. "Yeah of course they dropped the price, because no one is buying it. Soon they'll move all the exclusives to the 360, and they'll be no reason to buy it, the price drop was a desperate attempt to stay in business!" - the nutty customer that practically lives in the store.

Dude, you hit it right on the head. Working for Gamestop, I swear we've had this exact conversation at least twice, including the nutty customer who lives in the store.

Kudos my friend.

Oh...umm..I guess to actually post on the topic, most people who go to buy video games...if they can't afford a $600 system, a 17% drop won't help them. Who here can honestly say they have $500 of disposable income to just go and drop right now on a system? Anyone?

If you do, then by all means do it, but if you're the rest of the 9/10ths of the population, then you'll be waiting for a $300-$400 system...Oh that's right...the 360 is just as good and only 3-$400...

There's your problem, Sony. 

Currently playing: Civ 6