By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New PS3 60gb now for $500

Munkeh said:
Many people dont want to buy from eBay as they dont really trust it for the larger purchases

Yeah, I agree with this. Anyone who thinks that a 100 dollar drop in price wouldn't increase sales is being deliberately obtuse. How much would they increase? Probably "a lot," but anything more specific is difficult to quantify. Would profits go up? That's a bit more difficult to know, especially without knowing the specifics of the Blu-ray manufacturing costs. Quite possibly, profits could go down even as system sold goes up.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Work with me on this.for arguments sake....would hard core gamers buy a PS3 for say...........199.....If it only played games??? ill be honest, I havent had my PS3 online yet, and I havent watched movies, i bought it for the supposed graphics/exclusivity. Ill be the first to admit, if it only played games, id buy it! Kinda like wii..doesnt play DVD's .......and I dont use it for that, i have DVD players, i think almost all of us have DVD players

the day sony lower the price will also be the day microsoft lowers price making the ps3 still making the ps3 look expensive

a.l.e.x59 said:
Don't forget shipping charges. Don't forget custom charges. Don't forget that the PS3s that sell for that amount could have been sold by scam artists. Don't forget that when sellers end their listings early, and you look at the list of completed search results, it would appear that the item sold for the amount it remained just before the auction got cancelled. Don't forget that sometimes, if the item sold for too low, the seller may refuse to ship the item, and just relist it. Don't forget that the PS3 could be used. Don't forget that the PS3 could be broken. Don't forget that the PS3 could be 20 GB. Don't forget that the amount could be in U.K Pounds, Euros, or another currency, better than that of the U.S. dollar, or Canadian dollar.

1. shipping charges. They are included in the $500 I was talking about, or they balance out with taxes you would pay.

2. custom charges. Ok these are sales ffrom US to US so it doesnt apply

3. scam artists. Yeah, you are right Ebays whole business, this $46 billion company survives on scam artists.

4. could be 20gb. Nope, they are 60gb (20 go for far less)

5. could be used. Nope they are new (used go for far less)

The point is and it is not hard to see. Demand is dropping for the PS3. Sales keep dropping on a month by month basis WW. It was selling for over $3,000 on Ebay (this is strong demand and people not affraid to buy it off of Ebay) when it was first released, has been steadily dropping, now it is selling for about $500. It doesnt matter what some people think about Ebay but if there is not a strong enough demand to push the system to over $500. Then there will not be a strong increase in demand for it at a price drop to $500. They were plenty of people willing to pay thousands when they came out, I know I bought 2 on launch and sold one for $2,000 on Ebay. 

Yes I know some people would not do purchases like this on Ebay, but there are plenty of people who will.

You guys REALLY dont know how to identify a good seller on Ebay by now? I can understand maybe a few years ago, but NOW? I buy alot of things from E-bay and never have a problem. Avoiding the dolts is alot easier than it was in Ebays infancy man.

As for the topic. Yeah I agree that even a 100$ price drop isnt enough. But we already knew this, remember the 20GB PS3? There werent exactly people lining up requesting that baby specifically. $400 before they even begin to overcome that price hurdle imo. 

Around the Network

Sony's problem was also microsoft's problem - having 2 different systems that are pretty different. You COULD have got a 20 gig for $499 or whatever, but would it really have been worth it? Since you're already spending that much anyway, you gotta go for the $599 system! And thats why they stopped producing 20 gig versions, everyone was avoiding them. Maybe Sony needs to go back in time and just put a DVD drive in the stupid thing, and it would cost 300 dollars less to produce anyway, plus the R&D costs. Then they could have released a system more powerful than the 360 for the same price. But no, they HAD to include the Blu-ray, and use the gaming division to meet their other departments needs. Sony could have won this console war easily, but instead it took them an extra year to release the PS3, and when it did come out, it was way overpriced. That is the cost of Blu-ray.

CameronHall1 said:
the day sony lower the price will also be the day microsoft lowers price making the ps3 still making the ps3 look expensive

Seriously, do you sleep with your 360? Microsoft will not lower the price of the Xbox 360 just because the Sony lowers the price of the PS3. Did Nintendo lower the price of the DS to counter the PSP price drop?

Xbot Logik--

Price drop by Sony = desperate move

Price by Microsoft to counter = brilliant? Really? Sounds like more of a desperate move by Microsoft.

Go ahead and blow the fanboy trumpet if you want, but I'm also a 360 owner and I love it!

@z64dan, did you buy a PS3 because if you didn't you shouldn't be choking on that Blu-ray drive Sony "crammed down your throat!"

I would never buy anything worth that much on Ebay, no way to trust it...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I have no problem buying expensive things on eBay if they have a good rating and have a history of selling similar items with good feedback.

z64dan said:
Sony's problem was also microsoft's problem - having 2 different systems that are pretty different. You COULD have got a 20 gig for $499 or whatever, but would it really have been worth it? Since you're already spending that much anyway, you gotta go for the $599 system! And thats why they stopped producing 20 gig versions, everyone was avoiding them. Maybe Sony needs to go back in time and just put a DVD drive in the stupid thing, and it would cost 300 dollars less to produce anyway, plus the R&D costs. Then they could have released a system more powerful than the 360 for the same price. But no, they HAD to include the Blu-ray, and use the gaming division to meet their other departments needs. Sony could have won this console war easily, but instead it took them an extra year to release the PS3, and when it did come out, it was way overpriced. That is the cost of Blu-ray.

Brilliant indeed. The truth is painful.