By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - In game XMB confirmed for this summer

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/03/03/scees-maguire-lets-slip-firmware-2-4/

SCEE's Maguire lets slip 'firmware 2.4'

Ray Maguire, chief of the UK division of Sony Computer Entertainment, let slip a few details about an upcoming firmware when speaking with MCV. "Achieving one million PS3 sales faster than both PSOne and PlayStation 2 is even more gratifying considering PS3 is a premium product introduced at a premium price," he told MCV. "Our momentum will continue with the introduction of in-game communication in the summer, firmware update 2.4 and the strongest line-up of games through our third party partners and our own studios. I'd personally like to thank our trade and business partners for helping us on the start of the PS3 journey." [emphasis ours]

Remember when Sony's official site leaked in-game messaging, only to have it mysteriously disappear? There's only two conclusions we can get from this: first, in-game messaging is definitely coming this summer. The other? Maguire is going to disappear as well. We'll miss you.
(Also if you think this is a rumor, fear not, sony's official PS blog has it on its news section)

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network

nicee,,this means home will be here before summer

wow, Sony. THANK YOU. but you can't announce this during GDC? That must be the worst show for Sony owners.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

it says nothing about in-game comms' being in 2.40 though. punctuation marks change a alot about a sentence. it seems like update 2.40 and the in-game comms were 2 different subjects in this sentence. so 2.40 must be something special.

In game XMB FTW!

Around the Network

This can't come soon enough.

Gamertag: KillswitchTris PSN ID: KsET665 Wii Friend Code: 8415 6393 6330 0940 (PM me if you add me)
Feel Free To Add Me Tag: LISMDK - Extremely bad taste in music
kingofwale said:
wow, Sony. THANK YOU. but you can't announce this during GDC? That must be the worst show for Sony owners.

Last years was good, they announced Home and LittleBigPlanet.

DOATS1 said:
it says nothing about in-game comms' being in 2.40 though. punctuation marks change a alot about a sentence. it seems like update 2.40 and the in-game comms were 2 different subjects in this sentence. so 2.40 must be something special.

Regardless, it specifically says " introduction of in-game communication in the summer"

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

we're only at firmware 2.1 so.. xmb should come between or at 2.4

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

whenever sony talks about in game xmb, they always talk about messaging, but what about the in game music player and video player? i know the obvious answer will be" its the xmb no duh" but it just sounds funny to me that everytime in game xmb is mentioned its ALWAYS about messaging