By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic games aren't always grey

Do you agree?

No 45 28.85%

Yes 111 71.15%

Total:156

If it's not cartoony or has a smiley face on every damn thing that game will be considered gray/brown

for exemple:

notice how the second pic is more artistic, as more flavor it's no longer just gray or brown now you can see some flat polygons with colors, also notice the smileys faces, now it's more familly friendly and innovative, it's no longer boobs, gore and boring. ofcourse this change was made over a period of 45 seconds by me, imagine what a real artist could do with more time, we could finally see more true amazing games on the not so interresting PS4/X1

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Even grey/brown isn't necessarily bad; while it can look bland and ugly in many cases, it can also work well if done correctly.

For example:

Ka-pi96 said:
Zekkyou said:

Completely agree. I couldn't care less if a game is brown, pink or shitting out rainbows. As long as the palette fits the theme, location and atmosphere of the game, i'm happy.

I'd love to see that game!

curl-6 said:

Even grey/brown isn't necessarily bad; while it can look bland and ugly in many cases, it can also work well if done correctly.

For example:

So you're giving an example of a bland and boring game?  If so, I agree.

kupomogli said:
curl-6 said:

For example:

So you're giving an example of a bland and boring game?  If so, I agree.

Nope, I'm giving a example of a game where "grey and brown" aesthetic is used in an artistic way to create an intimidating and desolate atmosphere.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Nope, I'm giving a example of a game where "grey and brown" aesthetic is used in an artistic way to create an intimidating and desolate atmosphere.

Seems to me that specific game is pushing an agenda.

kupomogli said:
curl-6 said:

Seems to me that specific game is pushing an agenda.

What agenda would that be? If you're referring to a pro-Nintendo agenda, I should point out that of the 7 platforms Resident Evil 4 is available on, only 2 are Nintendo platforms.

curl-6 said:

What agenda would that be? If you're referring to a pro-Nintendo agenda, I should point out that of the 7 platforms Resident Evil 4 is available on, only 2 are Nintendo platforms.

I'm very well aware of that.  Everyone knows why it was posted.  I'll just leave it at that. 

Wright said:
HintHRO said:

How about this

Maybe I'm color blind, but I see blue, black, brown, yellow, green, white, grey, and even red.

I want to clarify something here, black is not a color. It is the absence of color. Also, I don't see a single pixel of 'white', only of lighter grey. That so-called "red" looks more like maroon, defined as a "brownish" red tone. You call these colors shades of red/blue/green, others can call them shades of brown or grey and not be incorrect.

the_dengle said:

I want to clarify something here, black is not a color. It is the absence of color. Also, I don't see a single pixel of 'white', only of lighter grey. That so-called "red" looks more like maroon, defined as a "brownish" red tone. You call these colors shades of red/blue/green, others can call them shades of brown or grey and not be incorrect.

Black is also what you obtain by mixing all palette colours on the same degree...

...but we don't go around the world saying "absence of heat" when we feel cold, right? :P