By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital future is slow to transition and digital customers have to suffer.

DexInDaJungle said:
prayformojo said:
Meh, I'd be happy if we NEVER went digital. I don't mind it as an option, but having physical games should always be something you can buy imo.

I can't agree with this statement anymore than I already do. If I could make love to this statement, I just might. Because I really really never wanna live in an age where I can't lick my video games.

Haha isn't there anyhting else you could lick and let us enjoy saving on video games.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
You completely forgot about publishers.

Most publisher also release software. Their revenue from publishing deals would decrease or potential disappear. But on the other hand their revenues from software sales would greatly increase for cutting out Retail, manufacturing and shipping.

If they screw retail, retail screws them back. It's just a matter of throwing your consoles to the last place consumers will look. And them, a competitor will offer retail stores a better deal and will won the gen hands down.

That said, I like retail. Just digital and no physical would lead to a future like Steam, where they shove always online DRM down our throats without any choice. I don't want games that can have the plug pulled anytime the publishers feels like.

I won't buy most things in digital form, i'll always buy games, music and movies in physical format, when it's available. If digital is maybe half of the price or physical, i'd consider it.

yvanjean said:
prayformojo said:
Meh, I'd be happy if we NEVER went digital. I don't mind it as an option, but having physical games should always be something you can buy imo.

Music CD used to cost $12-15 and most of the song were crap for the one or two good songs. 

Now it cost $1 or less per song digitally. 

The cost of paying game digital would be cut by half.... new release would cost $19.99-29.99 compares to the $59.99-69.99. Would you still want to pay $59.99-69.99 at retail when you can go digital for $19.99-29.99??? 

And now we buy DRM infested music that can only be played the way they want you to play. Buying a CD? Play where you want. Want to rip it to MP3 and pass to your cousins phone? No problem. 

I like to own the things I buy. 

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

Even for gamers we all agree that there more value if you can get a retail copy vs digital copy.

i disagree.  retail is worth at least 50% less to me than digital.   ..maybe even less.

i'll pay money for an mp3.  i won't even accept a CD anymore.   i feel almost the same about video games.

yvanjean said:
prayformojo said:

Music CD used to cost $12-15 and most of the song were crap for the one or two good songs. 

The cost of paying game digital would be cut by half.... new release would cost $19.99-29.99 compares to the $59.99-69.99. Would you still want to pay $59.99-69.99 at retail when you can go digital for $19.99-29.99??? 

Most of the music people stream and/or download legally, sound like garbage compared to vinyl or even a CD. For instance, Spotify's desktop free service streams it's music at a level that is 10 TIMES lower than the actual ablum. So when you spend more money at the store, buying the real deal, you get your money's worth.

With games, it's the same thing. You get to resell it, collect it and own it for however long you want and never have to worry about it again. To me, that's worth the extra money.

torok said:
yvanjean said:
prayformojo said:

And now we buy DRM infested music that can only be played the way they want you to play. Buying a CD? Play where you want. Want to rip it to MP3 and pass to your cousins phone? No problem. 

I like to own the things I buy. 

haha unless it's out of stock or 2 am in the morning:P If digital was cheaper then retail you wouldn't really hesitate.

yvanjean said:
DexInDaJungle said:
prayformojo said:

I can't agree with this statement anymore than I already do. If I could make love to this statement, I just might. Because I really really never wanna live in an age where I can't lick my video games.

Haha isn't there anyhting else you could lick and let us enjoy saving on video games.

Are you volunteering for something ;)

Ka-pi96 said:
kitler53 said:
yvanjean said:

Even for gamers we all agree that there more value if you can get a retail copy vs digital copy.

i disagree.  retail is worth at least 50% less to me than digital.   ..maybe even less.

i'll pay money for an mp3.  i won't even accept a CD anymore.   i feel almost the same about video games.

Even though you could take the files from the CD and convert them to mp3s and then sell the CD?

Not to mention, the CD files can be ripped in lossless and thus, superior to any MP3 he bought.