By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2014 NPD Thread!

kowenicki said:
NPD software chart:

October:

5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

September:

1. Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)

So Xbox one outsold PS4 in both months for the game, VGC has them at:

PS4: 1.39m
ONE: 1.16m

So at least 230k Destiny bundles sold? Seeems reasonable.

Elsewhere. Nice to see some people utterly ignore the SO bundles. Those same people were rapid in their proclamation of the bundling being the cause for the above scenario with Destiny.

So will do just fine, as the UK chart shows and as the Amazon charts have shown.

Anyhow. NPD is now officially not worth staying up for. No info.

300k Destiny bundles were sold in September alone, I reckon some more were sold in October although not nearly as much.

As for SO, bundles surely added more sales to its total but not dramatically I reckon. I mean, it sold just over 100k on its own, therefore it would be realistic to expect 30k max from bundles imo so I think VGC is about right for the game.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
TiagoCosta said:
kowenicki said:

Thats what I just said.

Incidentally... where the hell is Driveclub?  200k according to VGC??

It sold less than 70k, 4 weeks to sell.. 

lol, what!?  how do we know?

Bayonetta 2 did ~70k and we know that Bayonetta 2 > Driveclub.

I kept it quit all month, (except for in the xbox fan thread) but I knew NPD would probably not come out on GAF because I read about the leakers not either having it anymore (Cream), while the other one was being stressed out due the illegality of actually sharing it(Aqua). So she asked for a ban.

kowenicki said:
NPD software chart:

October:

5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)

September:

1. Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)

So Xbox one outsold PS4 in both months for the game, VGC has them at:

PS4: 1.39m
ONE: 1.16m

So at least 230k Destiny bundles sold? Seeems reasonable.

Elsewhere. Nice to see some people utterly ignore the SO bundles. Those same people were rapid in their proclamation of the bundling being the cause for the above scenario with Destiny.

So will do just fine, as the UK chart shows and as the Amazon charts have shown.

Anyhow. NPD is now officially not worth staying up for. No info.

Destiny Bundle sold 300k in September alone.

GribbleGrunger said:
gooch_destroyer said:
November will be interesting,

It will. If MS win then Gaf will suddenly discover a new leaker. Watch.

I'll be there. :)

Around the Network
Deeds said:

LOL! Where are the numbers? Why is Japan so open with sales numbers, yet NPD and the leakers are so secretive? I guess [certain] companies can pressure NPD to try to hide sales numbers, but one thing they can't hide is disclosure of profits and losses. Oh well, back to Bayonetta 2. :P

There's no big conspiracy, it's NPD that don't want the numbers to leak. They make money by selling them to their subscribers.

There's no incentive for Sony, MS and Nintendo to hide the numbers anyway. Their shareholders just care about shipped figures, and that's something they can't hide. If anyone did want to hide NPD though, it would probably be Nintendo :p Their NPD hardware numbers are consistently poor.

Deeds said:

LOL! Where are the numbers? Why is Japan so open with sales numbers, yet NPD and the leakers are so secretive? I guess [certain] companies can pressure NPD to try to hide sales numbers, but one thing they can't hide is disclosure of profits and losses. Oh well, back to Bayonetta 2. :P

It isn't some conspiracy, NPD is a research firm, the numbers are given to those who pay for them, leakers are in breach of the subscription agreement. If they released them to everyone why would anyone bother paying for them!

Where are the numbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer's?

Zekkyou said:
Deeds said:

There's no big conspiracy, it's NPD that don't want the numbers to leak. They make money by selling them to their subscribers.

There's no incentive for Sony, MS and Nintendo to hide the numbers anyway. Their shareholders just care about shipped figures, and that's something they can't hide. If anyone did want to hide NPD though, it would probably be Nintendo :p Their NPD hardware numbers are consistently poor.

Whew. Bayonetta 2 sure is a blast. :D LOL, as for your post, I remember the days when NPD was (like Media Create) shared openly and freely for years and years, then suddenly after [certain consoles started to fail (lol)] NPD started to go dark. First they started to combine game SKUs, then they started to delay the sales releases, then NPD stats started to deliberately leak here and there and now NPD is completely opaque. As for your post about shareholders, I'm sure GM shareholders are happy that Cadillacs are piling up at dealerships with 166 days' supply of the ATS at the end of September, and 161 days' supply of the CTS which is major channel stuffing. Shipment numbers can be manipulated, but "real" sales numbers can only be hidden. ;)

Plus it's a risk having their high-priced estimates floating around the internet and eventually compared to the shipped figures from actual financial reports. They could end up looking bad and losing revenue.

It's no surprise that NPD have plugged the leaks at this time of year and at this point in a very volatile generation. The holidays must be a nightmare for Brett and co. Which would kinda suck.