By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie says Nintendo’s next console won’t launch until the Wii U is out of potential

Tagged games:

Is Reggie right?

Absolutely 175 51.47%

Yes 50 14.71%

Probably 23 6.76%

Maybe 16 4.71%

No. 46 13.53%

ATARIIIiiiiii 29 8.53%

Total:339
bigtakilla said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
I'm not sure the screen will ever get its do this gen.

I personally don't want to go back to a screenless controller, for what it has done (streamlined item management, clears HUD clutter off the screen, off tv play, ect) it has perfectly justified itself to me. Not sure what people want from it. So here's hoping the next console keeps the same type of controller.

I'd say there's virtually no chance they will keep that controller, it makes the console waaaay too expensive. 

However, what I do think they'll allow is it'll be a Fusion platform, so if you have the portable variant, you'll be able to use that as a controller (screen and all) with the console variant if you want. But it'll be optional not required. 

Around the Network
teigaga said:
fory77 said:
teigaga said:
Unless they pull out something with amazing sales potential the system will peak next year but this will be its biggest holiday.

New Handheld fall 2016
New Nintendo Console 2017

How would it peak next year yet have lower holiday sales then?

With Smash, MK8 (plus DLC)  momentum carrying it, a more healthy software scedule and probably a price cut I expect it be up YOY every month apart from june (MK8 launch)- and December (what I mean by peak this holiday).

Oh, yeah. I forgot, my sleepiness had clouded my memory.

This is kind of obvious, isn´t it? Until they explore as much as they can and at least reach a decent install base, they won´t drop support to the WiiU. What else could they do right now? Killing it right now would be crazy.

I think they´re already working on a device that is a home/portable hybrid for the next generation, and specially designed for digital games instead of physical media. But still this is just a guess....

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

I personally don't want to go back to a screenless controller, for what it has done (streamlined item management, clears HUD clutter off the screen, off tv play, ect) it has perfectly justified itself to me. Not sure what people want from it. So here's hoping the next console keeps the same type of controller.

I'd say there's virtually no chance they will keep that controller, it makes the console waaaay too expensive. 

However, what I do think they'll allow is it'll be a Fusion platform, so if you have the portable variant, you'll be able to use that as a controller (screen and all) with the console variant if you want. But it'll be optional not required. 

It's sad, because no matter what controller they come out with next it will be a step back.

Rogerioandrade said:
This is kind of obvious, isn´t it? Until they explore as much as they can and at least reach a decent install base, they won´t drop support to the WiiU. What else could they do right now? Killing it right now would be crazy.

I think they´re already working on a device that is a home/portable hybrid for the next generation, and specially designed for digital games instead of physical media. But still this is just a guess....

This would be the only way I see a hybrid working. There would have to be cloud gaming and on the controller you select whether you want to use it like a gamepad or like a handheld. It'd be good because you'd only have to buy one game, but I'm just not sure if the world is ready for such a demanding online infrastructure, let alone Nintendo. Not that I think their online is bad, it's actually surprisingly good this gen, but an entire gaming gen infrastructure in the cloud? I have my doubts.

Around the Network

2016 new console.

bigtakilla said:
Rogerioandrade said:

This would be the only way I see a hybrid working. There would have to be cloud gaming and on the controller you select whether you want to use it like a gamepad or like a handheld. It'd be good because you'd only have to buy one game, but I'm just not sure if the world is ready for such a demanding online infrastructure, let alone Nintendo. Not that I think their online is bad, it's actually surprisingly good this gen, but an entire gaming gen infrastructure in the cloud? I have my doubts.

I think (and hope) they will sell it as a peripheral next gen. Redesign it so the form factor is closer to the dreamcast and sell it for 99. Keep it as a option for split screen, offscreen play and HUD stuff.

bigtakilla said:

Agreed. I also don´t see cloud gaming happening so early, but who knows if they have some sort of storage solution for the device? I imagine something like a box with huge storage space and a controller that also has some storage room and works as a handheld. So you would be able to keep the game in one of the devices, you would have to choose which ones you want to play anywhere and which ones you would leave in the box to play at home.

I´m not sure if I was clear (English is not my first language), but this is something I imagined as soon as Nintendo lauched the WiiU. Again, this is just a guess. Let´s see what they have for their future.

Rogerioandrade said:
bigtakilla said:

Agreed. I also don´t see cloud gaming happening so early, but who knows if they have some sort of storage solution for the device? I imagine something like a box with huge storage space and a controller that also has some storage room and works as a handheld. So you would be able to keep the game in one of the devices, you would have to choose which ones you want to play anywhere and which ones you would leave in the box to play at home.

I´m not sure if I was clear (English is not my first language), but this is something I imagined as soon as Nintendo lauched the WiiU. Again, this is just a guess. Let´s see what they have for their future.

Yeah, it makes sense. It could be a linked account, if you could download all the games to a harddrive on the console and have that harddrive removable you could just attach the removable harddrive to your controller/handheld and download whatever titles are on it to a smaller flash card/whatever the handhelds memory is. They could even have it be secured by having the accounts tied to the handheld/controller  and console box (by having the person register both) like the 3DS/Wii U account system. Of that makes any sense.

bigtakilla said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

i couldn't agree more.