By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video game ads that show little to no gameplay are stupid

Anyone else hate the recent trend of video game ads that show people acting like they are playing the game with little to no actual gameplay featured in the ad?  I believe it started or at least picked up with CoD ads.  I remember those stupid CoD ads of Kobe Bryant and others acting like they were in a warzone and it has only picked up pace. 

Sony seems to love the damn ads of having people acting like they are playing the game with very few or no gameplay footage.  I believe Microsoft is guilty of these ads too (probably just copying Activision, Sony and a few others).  Reminds me of the days before the internet with misleading screenshots on the back of video game boxes. 

I don't like ads but I believe video game ads should at least spend more than 1/2 the ad of showing actual gameplay.  Nintendo seems to still show a decent amount of ingame footage rather than actors or CGI clips.  The way video games are getting marketed these days is sickening to me.  Cut the actors and CGI and show some ingame footage.  Destiny ads make me want to puke.

Here are some examples. (granted first one is a Taco Bell / Destiny combo)

Apparently, I highly dislike Sony's PS4 ad campaign due to all acting and little to no gameplay.  Just scrolled down on some of the youtube comments (not sure why I even bothered) and it seems that a lot of Sony fans enjoy these types of commercials (ego?, look cool).  They seem stupid to me but perhaps Sony is catering towards their fanbase.  Sony should merge their movie and video game department and make the Sony CD which features nothing but FMV gameplay.  Sony isn't the only one guilty of these ads but they seem to be the highest offender.

Around the Network

My biggest issue with ads these days lies in the mandatory pre order now to receive. Blah blah pack and outfit for horse. Even some teaser trailers has more ibformation about the game in the preorder part than in the main part of the trailer.

sethnintendo said:

Sony seems to love the damn ads of having people acting like they are playing the game with very few or no gameplay footage.

That's only because they don't have any games to show footage of.

A trend I find kind of annoying is the one of horror game ads showing people screaming while supposedly playing the game. It's particularly weird in the case of Evil Within, which isn't a scary game at all.

badgenome said:

A trend I find kind of annoying is the one of horror game ads showing people screaming while supposedly playing the game. It's particularly weird in the case of Evil Within, which isn't a scary game at all.

Must have stole that ad idea from the movie industry.  I haven't seen a horror videogame ad that does that but I do remember a lot of horror movies ads that love showing the audience getting scared watching the movie.  I believe some horror movies showed that the entire time than any footage.

sethnintendo said:

Anyone else hate the recent trend of video game ads that show people acting like they are playing the game with little to no actual gameplay featured in the ad?  I believe it started or at least picked up with CoD ads.  I remember those stupid CoD ads of Kobe Bryant and others acting like they were in a warzone and it has only picked up pace. 

Sony seems to love the damn ads of having people acting like they are playing the game with very few or no gameplay footage.  I believe Microsoft is guilty of these ads too (probably just copying Activision, Sony and a few others).  Reminds me of the days before the internet with misleading screenshots on the back of video game boxes. 

I don't like ads but I believe video game ads should at least spend more than 1/2 the ad of showing actual gameplay.  Nintendo seems to still show a decent amount of ingame footage rather than actors or CGI clips.  The way video games are getting marketed these days is sickening to me.  Cut the actors and CGI and show some ingame footage.  Destiny ads make me want to puke.

It isn't recent, and it is stupid as hell.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

Must have stole that ad idea from the movie industry.  I haven't seen a horror videogame ad that does that but I do remember a lot of horror movies ads that love showing the audience getting scared watching the movie.  I believe some horror movies showed that the entire time than any footage.

Yeah. I figure it came from the Paranormal Activity campaign. I'm not sure if anyone really used it to great effect before that.

Captain_Tom said:

Ah I suppose I'm just noticing them now because I don't have cable (just use Netflix and Hulu).  Hulu started getting a lot of gaming ads recently due the holiday season.  If they have to put actual people in ad then I don't mind if it is something like Smash Bros 3DS ad (where they challenge each other to fights but in between the actor clips they show ingame footage).  There should at least be a 50/50 mix.

All publishers are guilty of this. I don't think anyone in particular stands out.

People buy games that look good. Emphasis on the "look" in that sentence. And games look better when there's explosions and cool camera angles, not when you've just respawned and get killed by a flipping Predator Missile!

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

sethnintendo said:
Captain_Tom said:

Ah I suppose I'm just noticing them now because I don't have cable (just use Netflix and Hulu).  Hulu started getting a lot of gaming ads recently due the holiday season.  If they have to put actual people in ad then I don't mind if it is something like Smash Bros 3DS ad (where they challenge each other to fights but in between the actor clips they show ingame footage).  There should at least be a 50/50 mix.

Yeah I remember an ass-ton of adds with fake crap for the Wii (An Indiana Jones game comes to mind), then I remember a ton of stupid adds for the Halo games on 360, and last I remember Killzone Shadowfall using ads with real people.

They look cool, so they use them.  However I am always far more impressed/convinced to get a game when they show the best parts of the gameplay.

Yup stupid. Just as stupid as movie ads that show a 5 second showreel of words and images and call that a trailer.

What really gets to me though is when footage of a game is actually shown but running on what probably was a farm of hardware that no consumer would be able to match.