By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The upcoming X1 price cut will make it match the PS4 sales in the US

TheDrill said:
DonFerrari said:
TheDrill said:

There is no objective reason to consider that NPD numbers are more accurate than VGC ones.

How objective does facts are to you??? NPD tracks like 90% of the market (while VGC probably do 1-2%... and just since PS4 release they were undertracking PS4 sales when they anounced 2013 year end sales, 7M mark, 10M mark and were overtracking when announced 18.5M)... they also had upward adjustments of X360 in the millions because data didn't matched Shipped Total - shelf units.

You're making those numbers up, nobody knows how accurate NPD trackings are.

And 90 % of the market? please, that is simply impossible.

Look up to their methodology... and you haven't explained yet why all publishers and console makers uses NPD numbers and not VGC and why VGC adjust to NPD numbers...not even ioi would say his tracking is better than NPD, so why do you?? Will we see you say VGC is wrong when NPD have X1 above VGC for the month as you done in your other thread?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
WebMasterFlex said:
TheDrill said:

There is no objective reason to consider that NPD numbers are more accurate than VGC ones.

Sorry I will put that quote on my signature. it's just so stupid LMAO.

I'll use that on the next NPD thread... just another 10 days =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Smitethegods said:
Landguy said:

I think that most people here are missing a point of reference for January sales. M$ did not plan to keep the $349 price point. If you look at retailer ads(WalMart this week), you will see the $399 price being promoted. It takes 4-6 weeks to get into the weekly print ads of retailers.

so, M$ won't get a ton of mileage out of the $349 price point again til February at least. I am sure they will include an actual advertising campaign to go with it.

Since when in history has a price cut taken 4 to 6 weeks to take effect?  Hint never.  You are in denial,  ps4 despite being more expensive is more desirable even in ms home country.  Ms will lise Feb and March as well.  The holidays was a temp spike.  Ms are xbox One are in trouble against ps4.

Ms already are heavy advertising the cut,  people would rather ps4. There are TV ads,  flyer's emails for weeks. 

You are the one missing the point,  Jan sales are a return to the norm,  what it will be the majority of the time. 

Worldwide it us not even a contest. 

Since you didn't understand my post, i can't help you much.  I was talking about print advertising in the US.  MOST people, not gaming fanatics/forum dwellers, buy based on advertising.  Most people buy based on wanting a game system.  They are not rushing out to get them after the holidays.  So, they have to be induced to make the buying decision.  So, clearly most of the advertising  out there doesn't represent a reason to buy now.  M$ has clearly screwed up again in putting the price back up.  Now it ill cost them for the January and February period.

You claim that M$ is heavily advertising the cut?  I haven't seen 1 public advertisement.  Of course, that equate to everywhere, but I can see all of the national ads on cable and the print ads from major retailer.  And I haven't seen anything about the cut.  Emails direct to people that are aleady M$ customers will not change peope minds = They are already customers.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
Smitethegods said:

Since when in history has a price cut taken 4 to 6 weeks to take effect?  Hint never.  You are in denial,  ps4 despite being more expensive is more desirable even in ms home country.  Ms will lise Feb and March as well.  The holidays was a temp spike.  Ms are xbox One are in trouble against ps4.

Ms already are heavy advertising the cut,  people would rather ps4. There are TV ads,  flyer's emails for weeks. 

You are the one missing the point,  Jan sales are a return to the norm,  what it will be the majority of the time. 

Worldwide it us not even a contest. 

Since you didn't understand my post, i can't help you much.  I was talking about print advertising in the US.  MOST people, not gaming fanatics/forum dwellers, buy based on advertising.  Most people buy based on wanting a game system.  They are not rushing out to get them after the holidays.  So, they have to be induced to make the buying decision.  So, clearly most of the advertising  out there doesn't represent a reason to buy now.  M$ has clearly screwed up again in putting the price back up.  Now it ill cost them for the January and February period.

You claim that M$ is heavily advertising the cut?  I haven't seen 1 public advertisement.  Of course, that equate to everywhere, but I can see all of the national ads on cable and the print ads from major retailer.  And I haven't seen anything about the cut.  Emails direct to people that are aleady M$ customers will not change peope minds = They are already customers.

And how many times have you seem a price cut making so little effect after 2-3 weeks of coming in place?? Mind you that most of the people that were enticed by this promotion already bought it in the holidays. And how many times have you seem the price cut have a greater effect 6 weeks from its effective time because that was when some game outlets put it on their prints? It isn't like MS couldn't expedite the promotion ads or put them on the webz.

DonFerrari said:
Landguy said:

And how many times have you seem a price cut making so little effect after 2-3 weeks of coming in place?? Mind you that most of the people that were enticed by this promotion already bought it in the holidays. And how many times have you seem the price cut have a greater effect 6 weeks from its effective time because that was when some game outlets put it on their prints? It isn't like MS couldn't expedite the promotion ads or put them on the webz.

So, look at this weeks ads.  Walmart = No gaming systems(last week was PS4).  Target = PS4 and the WiiU.  BestBuy = PS4

Zero ads for XB1.  

Like I have stated before, print ads take a minimum of 4 weeks, and usually up to 8 weeks lead time.  Vendors pay for their products to appear in the ads and it is not so simple to bump others that have already bought ad space.

Around the Network
Landguy said:

So, look at this weeks ads.  Walmart = No gaming systems(last week was PS4).  Target = PS4 and the WiiU.  BestBuy = PS4

Zero ads for XB1.  

Like I have stated before, print ads take a minimum of 4 weeks, and usually up to 8 weeks lead time.  Vendors pay for their products to appear in the ads and it is not so simple to bump others that have already bought ad space.

So what you are saying is that the only reason the PS4 will outsell the XB1 in January and February is because of marketing. You might want to extend that to March too. Now, even if we accept your premise, how does that change anything in terms of who will win those 3 months? A reality is still a reality regardless of what leads to that reality.

The PS5 Exists. 

Landguy said:
DonFerrari said:

Zero ads for XB1.  

And how that should excuse MS??? And you completely skipped my point. You are just restating what you already said.

DonFerrari said:
Landguy said:

Zero ads for XB1.  

And how that should excuse MS??? And you completely skipped my point. You are just restating what you already said.

you said the pricecut didn't work.  I agree it isnt working yet.  I only stated that the pricecut itself isn't the problem, its the poor planning by M$ in implementing it.  The pricecut will have a lasting affect, once it has been implemented effectively with the buyers.

Landguy said:
DonFerrari said:

you said the pricecut didn't work.  I agree it isnt working yet.  I only stated that the pricecut itself isn't the problem, its the poor planning by M$ in implementing it.  The pricecut will have a lasting affect, once it has been implemented effectively with the buyers.

And I asked for any previous case where the price cut took effect after 6 weeks when outlets promoted them on paper. I believe there are none since most of what we saw where pricecuts announced in advance.

DonFerrari said:
Landguy said:

And I asked for any previous case where the price cut took effect after 6 weeks when outlets promoted them on paper. I believe there are none since most of what we saw where pricecuts announced in advance.

How long did it take for the X1 to start leading the NPD after the initial pricecut? Use that as a barometer.