By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo working on amiibo cards, smaller/cheaper figures

Cards huh...
We been there before

Around the Network
Ryudo said:

Cards huh...
We been there before

You don't have to buy an add-on though!

This is very very very interesting.
It will target a much wider audience. (well, they cant please everyone)

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Miyamoto said that discontinued amiibo's can return in card form in the future.

Will amiibo series be also available in card decks?

---

AP: If you discontinue certain “amiibo” figures, will you continue to include them digitally in future games?

Miyamoto: We’re not making promises for certain figures, but the way “amiibo” is designed is that certain games can have “amiibo” specifically for that game. Other games can take advantage of past “amiibo” that developers want to make their game compatible with. In the future, we have the option, if certain “amiibo” figures are no longer available in stores, to release an “amiibo” in card form with the same functionality.

Source

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Amiibo digital Trading Card Game coming in?

Around the Network

Well

If you replace figurines with cards...

...you can replace cards with DLC.

So what the point in all of this then?

They should just decrease the already bad built quality of Amiibos a little bit more and then sell them for 4.99€ each (not 15€). Its jus plastic with a 10 cent nfc chip. (you can get a set of 12 Nintendo figurines without nfc chips for $5 on ebay)

Eh... I feel like turning them into cards only expose how shallow the DLC attached to them actually is. They need a focused Skylanders/Disney Infinity like game where these things can shine. I still have absolutely no reason to be interested in them as is. I have no intrest in buying toys of anything.

If they made a free-to-play/cheap starting price game like that with iconic Nintendo characters where you unlock portions of the game with Amiibo, they could seriously make a killing. Then the uses in other games would feel like more of a bonus, and my cheap ass wouldn't feel bad about completely ignoring the toys and going straight for the far cheaper cards!

People keep suggesting it, but make it a MOBA. Make it hardcore yet kid accessable, like Smash. Turn it into a respected esport. These things would be in higher demand than they are now and, more importantly, it would get people buying Wii Us.

Pokemon TCG with built-in Amiibo features!

I'm 90% sure he's talking about Pokemon cards

This seems pretty clever and can be very succesfull if handled well

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

Pokémon MMO x amiibo Trading Card Game would be such a gold mine Nintendo's bank couldn't even take that much money.