By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XB1 will win November NPD, and that's what it deserves

Do you think it will?

Yes 248 24.63%

No 581 57.70%

Maybe 174 17.28%

Total:1,003

Alt Removed, Carl

Around the Network

Alt Removed, Carl

I think you're overestimating the MCC. Most people who will buy that already own an XB1 so that game won't push that many consoles. COD bundle is too expensive to do any real damage and AC doesn't sell well on Xbox.

Sure MS has lots of bundles and an exclusive that will sell well. But Sony has the momentum. The word of mouth. The multiplatform advantage. And we still don't even know what kind of deals Sony will offer in November. A $350 PS4 with a game on Black Friday doesn't sound too crazy.

Even if it does winning 1 region of the world in 1 month is no big deal.

The rest of the world outside America don't really see what all the fuss about NPD is.

GTAexpert said:

Driveclub may not be a selling point, but its gameplay is very good and it really is an awesome game. The only problem it has is the servers which are functional but don't work well.

There is no need to worry about The Order: 1886. Most sites compare it to Gears, even though the only common thing between them is their genre. The Order: 1886 is slower paced, has more interesting weapon and a bigger focus on the story. Also The Order: 1886's developer has developed games with 85, 92 and 86 on Metacritic.

Also, what's the problem with 30 fps? Is a game running at 30 fps unplayable to you? Well then you've probably not played the vast majority of amazing games.

Driveclub has a lot of problems, not just the servers. Otherwise it wouldn't be riding 71 on Metacritic or getting a 2.5 out of Giantbomb. The scores may objectively be irrelevant (I'd arguably trust Giantbomb) but when a buyer sits down to compare and sees: servers issues/broken features + 71 vs. working game + 86, there's an obvious contrast. Even if you take out the scores, you're left with a disfunctional game vs. a working one. Sony's advertising of the game fell off a cliff with the issues as well, obviously they don't want you paying it any attention right now.

I worry about the Order because they've done nothing but make promises after their demo was a flop. Destiny made a lot of promises too...

As for Bloodborne. My problem isn't 30 FPS, its that they are targetting 30 FPS as in they don't even have that basic necessity for gameplay locked down (and I'd argue that SCEJ is going to sway the game's focus even more than DS2 was thrown off by Bamco's involvements). Not to mention that I got the joy of enjoying DS2 on PS3 which was an utterly attrocious experience with constant frame drops.

Around the Network

I wanna agree with OT, yes XB1 should deserve to win since they've been all-out in November with price cut, 3 bundles and heavier advertisements. However PS4 must not to be underestimated.

2 of the bundles are multiplatform and we all know that most of them are sold better on PS4. For example; Madden, Fifa 15 and COD Ghost. Those were getting exclusive marketing with Microsoft and some were bundled with XB1 too but look at the sales.......the PS4 version sold better. The only vice versa was Destiny which sold a lot more on XB1.

Besides, LBP3, GTA V and Far Cry 4 are definitely a PS4 seller for November......so i still think PS4 still has the edge here, but only slight......very slight.

Vena said:
GTAexpert said:

Driveclub may not be a selling point, but its gameplay is very good and it really is an awesome game. The only problem it has is the servers which are functional but don't work well.

There is no need to worry about The Order: 1886. Most sites compare it to Gears, even though the only common thing between them is their genre. The Order: 1886 is slower paced, has more interesting weapon and a bigger focus on the story. Also The Order: 1886's developer has developed games with 85, 92 and 86 on Metacritic.

Also, what's the problem with 30 fps? Is a game running at 30 fps unplayable to you? Well then you've probably not played the vast majority of amazing games.

Driveclub has a lot of problems, not just the servers. Otherwise it wouldn't be riding 71 on Metacritic or getting a 2.5 out of Giantbomb. The scores may objectively be irrelevant (I'd arguably trust Giantbomb) but when a buyer sits down to compare and sees: servers issues/broken features + 71 vs. working game + 86, there's an obvious contrast. Even if you take out the scores, you're left with a disfunctional game vs. a working one. Sony's advertising of the game fell off a cliff with the issues as well, obviously they don't want you paying it any attention right now.

I worry about the Order because they've done nothing but make promises after their demo was a flop. Destiny made a lot of promises too...

As for Bloodborne. My problem isn't 30 FPS, its that they are targetting 30 FPS as in they don't even have that basic necessity for gameplay locked down (and I'd argue that SCEJ is going to sway the game's focus even more than DS2 was thrown off by Bamco's involvements). Not to mention that I got the joy of enjoying DS2 on PS3 which was an utterly attrocious experience with constant frame drops.

So you'd trust GiantBomb's review of Driveclub? I've PLAYED Driveclub and I know how awesome the game is. The only other problems mentioned in reviews are less SP content and tough AI, neither of which matter as the tough AI is actually a positive and the game is highly multiplayer oriented.

As for The Order: 1886 I never said anything about the developer's promises, I just gave you the Metacritic scores of their previous games. If it matters for Driveclub, it matters for them too.

Though I know you won't change your mind. I know you have a history of bashing almost everything on PlayStation. I can't change your mind, neither can a hundred PS4 exclusives do that for you.

Sony will win November by a whisker. All throughout the first year of the PS4 and Xbox One we've seen the PS4 outsell the XO everywhere. I'm not certain that people trust Microsoft just yet. That's the X-Factor. Have they forgiven them? In March, no. Maybe in November they will have a change of heart.

I really wish I could buy an Xbox One but I'm poor. I envy those women who can get strangers to pay for one via Twitch. It's a Woman's world. If I can win a week in my NFL pool, I'll buy a Sunset Overdrive XO bundle.

Vena said:
Mindshare.

If Spencer and the X1 can take this holiday to build up mindshare, correct the ill-image they have, and advertise their advantages over Sony such as actually good exclusives and a network that actually works reliably, then they can carry that momentum over into 2015.

If not we can continue to Await Greatness...

Lots of ifs dependent on high hopes of best case scenerios.

X1 is dead in the water early 2015, do they have a single game to go up aginast Bloodborne and The Order in Feb? nope guess what little momentum they can achive will be driven into a wall given their game drought in 2015.

Shadow1980 said:
GTAexpert said:

Take a look at Amazon. The XB1 + COD: AW bundle is outselling all PS4 SKU's right now, and the XB1 + AC IV: BF + AC: U bundle is also rising. It is very clear that XB1 will win.

Three problems with that observation: 1) Those are hourly sales, 2) It's only the first day of November, 3) COD comes out on Tuesday, and MS gets marketing exclusivity with COD. The XBO might win for COD week, but just keep tracking the November best-sellers list (currently not up yet as it's the 1st of the month) if you want a better indication of how the month is progressing.

In any case, I give it a big, fat "maybe" as to whether it beats the PS4 in November. While it's cheaper than the PS4 and has the MCC as well as COD marketing exclusivity, that still doesn't guarantee the XBO will win. The Titanfall bundle technically made the XBO cheaper ($500 - $60 for the game - $100 for Kinect = $340 for the box itself, and that's not including the further $50 discounts that were available), yet the XBO couldn't beat the PS4 in March. Sony will also likely have bundles of their own coming soon; they've announced GTAV and Far Cry 4 bundles for Europe, and I think those will likely come to the U.S. I think November going to be tight (<10% difference), but right now I think it's a pure toss-up.

Also, if the XBO does win November, I don't think it "deserved" it. All MS did was issue a $50 price cut, which confers no qualitative improvements to the system itself. For most consumers, there's little practical difference between the systems, as both share 90% of the same games and are similar enough in technical capabilities (specs never won the war anyway; the PS4 will be the first time the most powerful system was also the best selling). The primary reason why the PS4 has been winning is because it had a greater perceived value for months, thanks largely to its price advantage. By time the XBO reached price parity via the unbundling of Kinect, it had lost too much momentum to close the gap. By being officially less expensive than the PS4 (as opposed to only technically less expensive), at least for the next two months, that may finally close the gap, but it's a stretch to say that it deserved a win just because of a price cut. And I'm saying this as someone who hopes to be able to pick up an XBO this month to complete his trinity of eighth-gen consoles.

I think being officially less expensive than a PS4 would help a lot more than being technically less expensive. Also the PS360 to XB1 upgrade at just $250 will convince many to pick up an XB1, as its mostly last-gen console gamers who will get a new console this month. It is mostly about the price, but that is a very important factor.