By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Amiibo compatibility and limited time offers

Experimental42 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

I hope you're not actually suggesting we buy 7 Amiibos for $91, more than the game itself, rather than using regular computers which are way more flexible anyway since they can be any character.

Or you know, you and three friends each buy an amiibo like I said?

Besides, CPU on max is a joke compared to a good human player, whereas an amiibo can mimic humans pretty well from the little we've seen of them.

Some people are going to get a sh*tload of amiibos anyway and I say more power to them. I'm personally eyeing Mario, Link, Yoshi, Samus, and Fox because I'm pretty sure they'll all be used in multiple games I want. Mac as well because I just like him, though I'm sad to hear he's so overpowered.

Obviously I'm refering to your first paragraph and playing 8 player Smash in general which doesn't always involve 3 other human players. Also if one cares about skill level they won't be playing 8-player smash.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

Obviously I'm refering to your first paragraph and playing 8 player Smash in general which doesn't always involve 3 other human players. Also if one cares about skill level they won't be playing 8-player smash.

Quite a few of the top smash players are interested in 8 man smash team tourneys actually. It may actually catch on, especcially if you can send amiibo data online.

Experimental42 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Quite a few of the top smash players are interested in 8 man smash team tourneys actually. It may actually catch on, especcially if you can send amiibo data online.

Which you can't, and the tournament scene is really niche and all the slots can be filled with human players. Besides the point anyway, being that harder computers isn't worth $13. If you want a challenge, play real people who're always available via online, otherwise computers will suffice.

I dunno what one to get. Since ones that are compatible with lots of games would be more useful, but they might not necessarily be one that I want a ton lol.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Which you can't, and the tournament scene is really niche and all the slots can be filled with human players. Besides the point anyway, being that harder computers isn't worth $13. If you want a challenge, play real people who're always available via online, otherwise computers will suffice.

Can you direct me to where they confirmed you can't download your amiibo data and send it to fight against friends? I just recall they bring rewards back when you send them to combat.

Fighting a computer doesn't compare to fighting a constantly improving amiibo character. Sometimes online players aren't as good as you, so you if you want a challenge on demand there's the amiibo.

The tourney scene is a bit niche, but it's growing and it's only going to get larger with Nintendo finally embracing the tourney scene with players hosted tourneys, official online tournaments, and world rankings. We live in the age of twitch man.

Around the Network
Experimental42 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Can you direct me to where they confirmed you can't download your amiibo data and send it to fight against friends? I just recall they bring rewards back when you send them to combat.

Fighting a computer doesn't compare to fighting a constantly improving amiibo character. Sometimes online players aren't as good as you, so you if you want a challenge on demand there's the amiibo.

The tourney scene is a bit niche, but it's growing and it's only going to get larger with Nintendo finally embracing the tourney scene with players hosted tourneys, official online tournaments, and world rankings. We live in the age of twitch man.

Better dont get your hopes too high. I can not imagine that amiibo AIs will be (much) superior to the current CPU lv.9.

Experimental42 said:

Why should I do anything? You be the one claiming this feature exist when Nintendo has never even hinted at it, so you have to explain why we should assume it's there.

You're just going in circles here. We get that Amiibo's are potentially better than CPU's, but again, if you just want to play 8-player smash or whatever, CPU's will work. Amiibos are not needed for it. Heck even if you can beat Lv.9s easily, they can still provide challenge when you pit 2+ of them against you, give them an advantageous handicap, or just play 8-player smash which is already inherently more difficult. As for human opponents, who btw your Amiibo will never be able to match the best humans, or even just the good ones really, you'll find a worthy opponent in less time than it takes to go out and buy one of these. Just admit that buying an Amiibo for Smash means you're essentially paying extra for stuff already in the game!

Tournament scene has nothing to do with Amiibo's worth.

Einsam_Delphin said:

Why should I do anything? You be the one claiming this feature exist when Nintendo has never even hinted at it, so you have to explain why we should assume it's there.

You're just going in circles here. We get that Amiibo's are potentially better than CPU's, but again, if you just want to play 8-player smash or whatever, CPU's will work. Amiibos are not needed for it. Heck even if you can beat Lv.9s easily, they can still provide challenge when you pit 2+ of them against you, give them an advantageous handicap, or just play 8-player smash which is already inherently more difficult. As for human opponents, who btw your Amiibo will never be able to match the best humans, or even just the good ones really, you'll find a worthy opponent in less time than it takes to go out and buy one of these. Just admit that buying an Amiibo for Smash means you're essentially paying extra for stuff already in the game!

Tournament scene has nothing to do with Amiibo's worth.

I never made a definite claim, I was saying it would be cool if it were a feature. You made a definite claim, that any kind of amiibo data sending definitely isn't in the game. The burden of proof is on you.

You're also asspulling on how good the amiibo isn't. I wasn't aware you had the amiibo and were playing Smash with it.

It's not that hard to conceive of a system that could grow better or more player like over time. All it would have to do is record data from your fights and break your actions down into %s, then use those values in applicable situations. Which is what they seem to do: If you never pick up an item while training with them, neither will they because the value in a recorded data set would be 0. It's probably a bit more complex but that may be the gist of it.

Bonus, if they do continually adjust to your style, it creates a series of one upsmanship between amiibo and player that makes it a great training tool.

regardless, by using recorded data instead of preset lines of code, amiibo avoid becoming predictable, unlike regular lvl9 CPUs making them more competent opponents by default.

If the amiibo uses a system that copies playstyle data, trading amiibos with tournament players is a huge boon to player advancement. Anything that can be used as a tool to get better at the game has a metric f*ckton to do with the tournament scene.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Experimental42 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

If you don't see the value in them then don't buy them. Other people do. The figures are honestly nice enough that $13 wouldn't seem unreasonable to some people even without the functionality.

I would kill for an Isabelle amiibo.