By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An Assassin's Creed set in feudal Japan would feel over-familiar, says AC3 director

vivster said:
DerpSandwich said:
I agree, it wouldn't be very interesting. The whole point is that you're an amazing assassin in a world where most people, well...aren't amazing assassins. Stick the character in a time when ninjas were everywhere and suddenly that feeling of power is a bit lessened. Sometimes I feel like people suggest the setting not because it would actually be a good one but because it's obvious.

Because everyone in feudal Japan was either a samurai or ninja and all the women were geishas.

Are you serious?

Obviously not EVERYONE fit into one of those categories, but make a game about assassins and yes, your character is going to be surrounded by ninjas.  It would be weird if he wasn't.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Around the Network
vivster said:
Nicklesbe said:
vivster said:
DerpSandwich said:
I agree, it wouldn't be very interesting. The whole point is that you're an amazing assassin in a world where most people, well...aren't amazing assassins. Stick the character in a time when ninjas were everywhere and suddenly that feeling of power is a bit lessened. Sometimes I feel like people suggest the setting not because it would actually be a good one but because it's obvious.

Because everyone in feudal Japan was either a samurai or ninja and all the women were geishas.

Are you serious?

Feudal Japan was a warrior society. Sure men and woman had multiple roles but at the end of the day every farmer or smith was trained to be a warrior and every woman was trained to be an entertainer. It's no different than sparta in that respect.

That's just bull. Feudal Japan was no different from the middle ages in europe. A farmer's pitchfork in your hand doesn't make you a warrior, even less a samurai. The actual amount of military, not counting farmers was less than 10% of the population.

Ninjas were never common. They were about as numerous as mercenaries, hitmen and spies today. Which means not common at all. So as a Ninja in feudal Japan you will certainly not stumble about other Ninjas all the time. There were Ninja clans but that isn't anything different from what we already have in every AC game.

To say that an AC game in Japan would be boring because there were too many assassins is ludicrous.

Every time I start to type a reply, I look down a little further and see that you've already made my point. People who think Japan is all samurai, geisha and ninja need to turn off the movies and anime and open a history book. Samurai were essentially knights, in that you often had to be lucky enough to be born into the right family, and carrying around a sword was only a fraction of the role. Just as much emphasis were placed on things like learning customs and conduct in polite society, memorizing family history, flower arranging and calligraphy. Things a rice farmer wouldn't have the time or privilege to learn. Grabbing a sword didn't instantly make you a samurai, and ninja didn't run around in black jumpsuits. Speaking of ninja, don't you essentially play one in every single game? Wouldn't it make sense to have a game in the place most known for having them?

All of this is a moot point anyway, because my experience with the AC franchise has shown me Ubi's writers and developers aren't concerned with letting historical accuracy get in the way of gameplay. They shouldn't be, because it's a game, not a documentary.

I so want an AC game in Japan...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

And France doesn't?... This guy is talking out of his ass.

I still want one set in 1600-1700 Comonwealth of Poland & Lithuania. A ton of stuff was going on there, and lot's of cultures. There were invasions from Germans, Ottomans and Russians.
Mountains and Rivers might be included there , too. Set in Warsaw or Krakow or Vilnius or something as the main city area.

Who would not want to fight against or be a Assassin-Winged Hussar hybrid and fight with epic Winged Armour on foot and horseback?????????!!!!!!!!