By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 delayed til March 08?

rocketpig said:
Go ahead and start playing Taps for the PS3. Give it a 21 gun salute. It's over. The 360 and Wii are going to annihilate it this year and by next year, it will be largely irrelevent. MGS was the PS3s only hope this year. There isn't a single other game coming out for it that will move units in significant numbers.

So i guess GTA IV wont move any units? especially since R* said something about the 360 version being delayed...

Off topic...WTF happened to Stranglehold?

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Blue3 said:
shams said:
Not surprised at all if its true - was expecting Xmas 08 actually. But this does leave the PS3 in a bit of a hole (in Japan) - unless its a Xmas 07 release for Japan, March 08 for the US. Not doing a 360 version is also just plain STUPID in my books. Easy sales... or don't Konami care about sales anymore?

LOL

maybe you missed the xbox MGS ports were sales failures, add that to the fact Kojima has to much pride to water down his game just to release a medioce port.

Can the PS2 versions really be called huge successes though?

NameConsolePublisherJapanAmericaOthersTotal
Metal Gear Solid 2Konami0.852.292.425.56
Metal Gear SolidKonami0.702.812.005.51
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake EaterKonami0.861.421.683.96

So...yes.

sieanr said:
Did anyone actualy expect this game to come out this year anyway?

I always thought that I was most likely to come out next year. Anyway, does it really matter what one shop says.

add me

johnlucas said:
Erik Aston said:
*cue JohnLucas* A delay is not unexpected. Can't debut a game you want to sell 5 million on a console which has sold 6 million.

Right on time Erik Aston

*Ahem*

http://www.popzart.com/?page=view&topic=267

John Lucas

What does your plug (which seems to keep popping up, doesn't it?) have to do with any kind of delay for MGS4?  PS3 is the only system MGS4 will be on.

Blue3 said:
shams said:
Not surprised at all if its true - was expecting Xmas 08 actually. But this does leave the PS3 in a bit of a hole (in Japan) - unless its a Xmas 07 release for Japan, March 08 for the US. Not doing a 360 version is also just plain STUPID in my books. Easy sales... or don't Konami care about sales anymore?

LOL

maybe you missed the xbox MGS ports were sales failures, add that to the fact Kojima has to much pride to water down his game just to release a medioce port.

Well, remember that last generation the PS2 had (by far) the larger install base. The Xbox was tiny compared to it, and Konami could drive lots of sales through the PS2 alone.

The same CANNOT be said for the PS3/360. A simultanous release on both platforms could net them 2-3 (or even more) sales in the long run. Releasing it on the PS3 only, would be the equiv. of releasing the previous generation games on the Xbox... only.

Its the classic catch-22 - do you risk releasing it for the PS3 only, and have it only do a fraction of what it could do because of a low install base... or release it intentionally, knowing that its good enough to sell hardware (and your software) at the same time?

And I still haven't seen ANY evidence of the 360 being an inferior machine to the PS3 - if anything, just the opposite. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
luckydemon said:
rocketpig said:
Go ahead and start playing Taps for the PS3. Give it a 21 gun salute. It's over. The 360 and Wii are going to annihilate it this year and by next year, it will be largely irrelevent. MGS was the PS3s only hope this year. There isn't a single other game coming out for it that will move units in significant numbers.

So i guess GTA IV wont move any units? especially since R* said something about the 360 version being delayed...

Never heard that. I don't think it will help to much. I assum if the 360 one is delayed the PS3 will be too. I much harder to develop for the PS3, so it seems strangee that the 360 would be delayed and the PS3 wouldn't.

Ok now I have a question for everybody: If PS3 doesn't get MGS4 or FFXIII (did I state the right number?) in Japan this fall. Does Sony has anything at all before Wii wins the market in Japan?

Looking at the numbers that have come last weeks shows that there exist a possibility for Nintendo to reach 3 million sold Wiis before Sony gets 1 million sold PS3 in Japan. Now if nothing will give PS3 a boost for the upcoming fall and christams period we might find that we are talking about 3 million+ lead at the end of 2007. If that happens I would say that PS3 is dead, in the same way as GC was dead, in Japan. So thanks for the show Sony, but is is game over.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

luckydemon said:
rocketpig said:

In Japan? No, GTA has never been as huge there as in the West.

In USA? Hard to say because xbox360 gets the game to.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

no MGS sold more than a million copies in Japan, looking at the list above. And this was on a console with a 20 million install base (though no idea what the install bases were like when the game got released) I don't think MGS will make console-shifting difference in Japan. We'll probably see a bump like VF5 and Gundam, but nothing major. so the delay of MGS won't make much of a difference to the Japan market (US/Others markets, however, are a different story)

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Name Console Publisher Japan America Others Total Metal Gear Solid 2 Konami 0.85 2.29 2.42 5.56 Metal Gear Solid Konami 0.70 2.81 2.00 5.51 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Konami 0.86 1.42 1.68 3.96 Let´s see There was a difference of 1.5 millions between MGS 2 and 3 Let´s see the difference between PS3 and PS2 in numbers. When MGS4 hits, PS3 is likely to have about 7 million console sold. When MGS3 hit, PS2 probably had like 80-100 million consoles sold. Do the math :)