By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's Betrayal of 2013

LudicrousSpeed said:
Erwin-VGC said:

It's about exclusives.

You're just confirming the agenda. Plenty of the games on that Playstation list are not PS3 exclusive.

Some are VITA you mean? Besides, my point was that my friends switched because microsoft brought more kinect kids/family games, then exclusive games for core gamers with a controller. And that list confirms that.

Around the Network

Someone needs to do this thread but talk about how PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4...had absolutely no amazing games or "exclusives" ready in their first year on the market.

Summary should be that
Sony - 1st year of ownership you get screwed
Microsoft - last year of ownership you get screwed
Nintendo - first and last???

Ka-pi96 said:
Zekkyou said:

I can't remember specifically how many Sony themselves are releasing on the PS3 in 2014 (i'd be surprised if it was more than 3, given how many they released last year), but in terms of general exclusives the PS3 has had quite a few in 2014. So far this year it's had 7 75+ metascore titles (3 80+). Not sure how many if you include titles like Tales of Xillia 2 that got less than 75 though. I'd guess around 12.

Yeah, but as mentioned before that's not really Sony making those games. All they really need to do to get exclusives from Japanese 3rd parties is to have a good enough install base for it. As soon as that happens with the PS4 that will start getting plenty of extra exclusives just for being Japanese again.

True, but step outside of culture for a second. From their perspective, what is it that doesn't make the Xbox One appealing outside of the fact that it is an outsider product? Think about that and you might be heading in the right direction with questioning why Sony seems to get third party exclusives. Also, why do they get more third party exclusives than Nintendo in Japan. In reality its a group of reasons as to why Sony has success there. 

Again....could we say that its because its a home product? Where does that leave Nintendo? Could it be that Sony set itself up for twenty years as the default third party console brand of choice even in Japan consistently working with eastern and western developers to provide the largest blend of gaming to one platform?

Could it be Sony's developmental ties to other companies? Sony co-developed Demon Souls which was was primarily Kings Field before by Software, but they changed Softwares direction of thinking to make a more compelling product so they sent Sony Japan to help them turn that franchise into Demon Souls.

Could it be cause of money? Sure. 

I can agree that being Japanese is a reason though in the long run, but also because of what Sony did right to make the ends justify the means. Sony set a standard and Microsoft didn't set themselves apart from Sony. They are essentially an American flavor of the Japanese archetypal model with additions which mean more to westerners. The Japanese tend to look at an outsider product and if its close to a quality product they have the home product tends to trump the outsider product. Of course western products can set themself apart, but they really have to think about how they will break a market that expects new things from outsiders.

Sony has it easy, but they worked to make it so. Doesn't hurt to have a lot of great in house developers as well as second party. ;)

JayWood2010 said:
Microsoft's last few years on X360 was a shame. Its the main reason i feel Xbox as a brand is questioned by many people. Luckily they seem to havve gotten back on the right path but its a shame they ever took the wrong path in the first place

LOL this isn't the first time.  Remember when 360 was coming out?  The OG Xbox was dropped like a 1 ton block of lead.

Wise up people:  Anyone who buys an Xbox console should do so knowing that in ~4-5 years support will disapear all at once.

Captain_Tom said:
JayWood2010 said:

LOL this isn't the first time.  Remember when 360 was coming out?  The OG Xbox was dropped like a 1 ton block of lead.

Wise up people:  Anyone who buys an Xbox console should do so knowing that in ~4-5 years support will disapear all at once.

That certainly isnt what i said or implied.  IN fact the only time i can say i was disapointed in Xbox was when Don Mattrick was focusing on Kinect.  Outside of that i was happy with Xbox from 2002-2009 and 2013/2014 with the majority of those years being different heads thant Mattrick.

And really i can say every company has had their weak years.  Sony 2006-2008 Sony 2013/2014   Or Nintendo 2010-2014(Though i didnt like Wii at all).  This isnt saying Xbox, PS, or Nintendo is terrible.  Just there is certain years that i would look back on and think, well this wasnt exactly a showcase for them. 

So with that said, im not sure why you got all condescending but overall im very happy with Xbox and am very excited for its future.  Just glad the Don Mattrick Kinect focused years are behind us.

Around the Network

This is why I will never buy an Xbox.MS never supports their console for the entire generation.The same thing happened with the Xbox and that had a short life span.With Sony I always know I will get games every year of the consoles life once it get's going.

JayWood2010 said:
Microsoft's last few years on X360 was a shame. Its the main reason i feel Xbox as a brand is questioned by many people. Luckily they seem to havve gotten back on the right path but its a shame they ever took the wrong path in the first place

It was the success of the Wii that derailed everything. Before then, MS was clearly the best hardcore console on the market. But once they saw Nintendo's business model... well... you know MS. They ALWAYS have to chase a piece of the pie. After they did that, alot of core gamers started fleeing. 

If the Xbone would have launched without Kinect, no TV turner and as or more powerful than PS4? Things might be totally different. They stupidly thought casuals were still in play. They were wrong.

MrChaos said:
This is why I will never buy an Xbox.MS never supports their console for the entire generation.The same thing happened with the Xbox and that had a short life span.With Sony I always know I will get games every year of the consoles life once it get's going.

Do you have Vita? Is it Nintendo or Microsoft?

OG Xbox was dropped because it was hemorraging money. It was not viable for MS to  continue supporting a console that gamers barely adopted.

PS3's early life must've had an abundance of titles ain't it?

Captain_Tom said:

Microsoft copied Sony's ten year plan, but don't have the internal capacity to support it.I showed a link of Shane Kim admitting it in another post but im not home right now on my computer. I'll show it later.). They can't try to be Sony if they aren't. I can understand Microsoft dropping the console once the slim first party, second and massive third party offerings die off. That and they haven't figured out like Sony how to balance two consoles at the same time. Sony seems to have perfected their plan for twenty years so they know how to make it work. For MS it is just artificial value to keep the marketshare  of Sony down which makes sense to me as well on their part, but what good is it doing them if they cannot provide development on a ten year cycle? MS tends to hype things up a lot and when one thing gets hyped the level of balance teeters.

JayWood2010 said:
Captain_Tom said:
JayWood2010 said:

That certainly isnt what i said or implied.  IN fact the only time i can say i was disapointed in Xbox was when Don Mattrick was focusing on Kinect.  Outside of that i was happy with Xbox from 2002-2009 and 2013/2014 with the majority of those years being different heads thant Mattrick.

And really i can say every company has had their weak years.  Sony 2006-2008 Sony 2013/2014   Or Nintendo 2010-2014(Though i didnt like Wii at all).  This isnt saying Xbox, PS, or Nintendo is terrible.  Just there is certain years that i would look back on and think, well this wasnt exactly a showcase for them. 

So with that said, im not sure why you got all condescending but overall im very happy with Xbox and am very excited for its future.  Just glad the Don Mattrick Kinect focused years are behind us.

LOL Sony 2013.  Yeah they just got game of the generation and released like 4 other exclusives on their aging console.  Yeah that is comparible to only having one mediocre game in 2013.